Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup allow through unwanted metallic sound

krock

My guitar pickups often allow through the sound of the metallic clicks from my switch, push/pull pots, strap locks. It's kind of a jangly sound and its really irritating. Anyone know a way to stop it? It's not done it on many other guitars I've played and its got me baffled.

Hmm..., that's a bit strange for passive guitar. It may be necessary to check a wiring into your guitar relatively known (standard) styles of wiring. Maybe there is a mistake in push/pull connection.

It has rockfield SWC pickups and I've gone through the wiring and it seems to be correct. Could it be due to the fact that the pickups are direct mounted to the body?

Here's my theory.. Those little metallic events on your guitar are causing the strings to sympathetically vibrate like the diaphragm on a microphone. Try stuffing a sock under the string to damp them so they can;t move at all. Then see it the effect is lessened.

Here's my theory.. Those little metallic events on your guitar are causing the strings to sympathetically vibrate like the diaphragm on a microphone. Try stuffing a sock under the string to damp them so they can;t move at all. Then see it the effect is lessened.

It seems you're spot on. Im guessing the only way to fix it is to dampen the sounds at the sources using rubber washers or something similar

It seems you're spot on. Im guessing the only way to fix it is to dampen the sounds at the sources using rubber washers or something similar

That might help. Another approach would be to install a mute switch or use a volume pedal to mute the output but this won;t work during a song.

Mr. Searcy gets all props and knows hiss hit.

I'd also suggest that being screwed straight to the body and not potted could be a problem. Talk in them. If it comes out the amp, you have the answer, they are microphonic enough to get all that clanks and dinks.

rct

Mr. Searcy gets all props and knows hiss hit.

I'd also suggest that being screwed straight to the body and not potted could be a problem. Talk in them. If it comes out the amp, you have the answer, they are microphonic enough to get all that clanks and dinks.

rct

Thanks, I'll try that later on when I'm back from work

Archived