Gibson Brands Forums

Neck Binding: Deal-breaker?

darling67

I am looking to buy a new guitar in the very-near future, and some models of the same guitar (SG) have binding on the neck while others don't.

Cosmetically, I'd prefer binding on the neck. Somehow, a neck w/out binding looks a but "unfinished"—or worse yet, "cheap". Is this a misperception on my part… should this issue not sway my choice too much? Or are my concerns justified?

Thanks a lot, in advance, for your opinions—or facts.

Lack of fretboard binding would be a deal-breaker for me, as long as the nibs don't take away too much real estate on the frets. But the nibs could always be removed if necessary.

I think if you want fretboard binding, then get a guitar that has it. [thumbup]

Lack of fretboard binding would be a deal-breaker for me, as long as the nibs don't take away too much real estate on the frets. But the nibs could always be removed if necessary.

I think if you want fretboard binding, then get a guitar that has it. [thumbup]

The nibs? I feel silly for not knowing what you're referring to.

I am, more or less, in your camp when it comes to fretboard binding. My dilemma is based on available models, and pricing. The SG Limited Special (w/P-90's) lacks binding, but it's right in my price range. Other SG's with P-90's have the binding but are a bit over my budget. I also love the look of the dot necks, but it seems most of the dot necks lack binding. Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for your reply!

Nibs are the portions of the binding that cover the very ends of the frets. Usually, they get talked about when it comes time to re-fret a fretboard, as to whether to "keep" them or not.

Play all the guitars you are even remotely interested in that are near your price range. You might fall in love with a guitar that lacks fretboard binding--and then fretboard binding won't matter anymore. [biggrin]

Nibs are the portions of the binding that cover the very ends of the frets. Usually, they get talked about when it comes time to re-fret a fretboard, as to whether to "keep" them or not.

Play all the guitars you are even remotely interested in that are near your price range. You might fall in love with a guitar that lacks fretboard binding--and then fretboard binding won't matter anymore. [biggrin]

[thumbup]

A sub-question to this thread:

So, would anyone be turned-off by a guitar having "Kluson style" tuners, as opposed to genuine Kluson® tuners? I am guessing it's safe to assume that the "Kluson style" would be cheaper and lesser quality? How much would this effect tuning/staying in-tune?

Thank you in advance!

1372029530[/url]' post='1390886']

I am, more or less, in your camp when it comes to fretboard binding. My dilemma is based on available models, and pricing. The SG Limited Special (w/P-90's) lacks binding, but it's right in my price range. Other SG's with P-90's have the binding but are a bit over my budget. I also love the look of the dot necks, but it seems most of the dot necks lack binding. Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for your reply!

The SG Classic and the Pete Townsend have dots and binding. What did you say your price range was.

PS - not sure if I've seen much difference between Kluson types of tuners.

The SG Classic and the Pete Townsend have dots and binding. What did you say your price range was.

PS - not sure if I've seen much difference between Kluson types of tuners.

Yeah, the Classic and the Townshend models (both out of production—but not necessarily impossible to find new) meet my neck and binding criteria! [rolleyes]

Well... ideally, I'll pay around a grand—if not a little under (I will have an employee discount with my employer, so that's why I expect to be able to stick close to that price range).

Ok, regarding the tuners. Just curious. I'm sure either would work just fine.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am glad to read your wish .I don't think so "'d prefer binding on the neck. Somehow, a neck w/out binding looks a but "unfinished"—or worse yet, "cheap". Is this a misperception on my part" issue will not effect to buy a amazing guitar.Just look at gear and guitars .All problem will be solved.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Just take a look at these, check them out at a dealer and decide for yourself:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-60s-Tribute.aspx

and

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Standard.aspx

IMHO I would prefer two more frets over a plastic cover, the fretboard binding and the headstock inlays if none of the individual guitars outperforms the other one(s). BTW, the Standard comes including case, the Tribute with a gigbag. Since I would buy a case for it, in the end there is not a big difference considering the street prices.

From my humble collection, most guitars have binding on the neck, still the very single one

that doesn't has neck binding has actually become my favourite, and also my fastest neck as

well...

You should try it, bindings are beautiful work and all but I am well proud of my wooden guitar.

If the frets bug you, be sure that you're playing a rather new instrument, very often they dry

out from being hung to dry in exposition. That should not happen on a good instrument.

Its also a good way to know for how long its been hanging out there.

Archived