Gibson Brands Forums

The '50s Tribute Pick Guard Color Poll!

darling67

Ok!

So I ordered a '50s Tribute SG, in the vintage sunburst! I should have it sometime this week. I am going to have a pick guard put on it—most likely custom-made. I figured I'd ask y'all for your opinions by posting a poll.

Below are some quick mock-ups of three potential pick guard options: black, parchment, and white. Vote for your preference, and I'll take the final poll results into consideration.

Thanks!

For what it's worth, I have a clear one on my early '70s Guild S100c- a carved top Guild version of the SG. It shows off the wood quite nicely while offering a bit of protection.

Otherwise I'd tend to black, Parchment perhaps - or a tortoiseshell if one matched the colors of the instrument.

m

Ok!

So I ordered a '50s Tribute SG, in the vintage sunburst! I should have it sometime this week. I am going to have a pick guard put on it—most likely custom-made. I figured I'd ask y'all for your opinions by posting a poll.

Below are some quick mock-ups of three potential pick guard options: black, parchment, and white. Vote for your preference, and I'll take the final poll results into consideration.

Thanks!

Black tends to show scuffs much more. Parchment 1st choice. White 2nd. Black 3rd.

For what it's worth, I have a clear one on my early '70s Guild S100c- a carved top Guild version of the SG. It shows off the wood quite nicely while offering a bit of protection.

Otherwise I'd tend to black, Parchment perhaps - or a tortoiseshell if one matched the colors of the instrument.

m

Thanks, milod!

Clear is a cool idea, but I prefer the contrast of a color against another. [thumbup]

I'll consider this a "black" vote.

White Pearl.

rct

I was actually playing with a white pearl mock-up, but it wasn't quite there for me. Thanks for the suggestion, though! [thumbup]

Parchment is my choice. The other 2 look quite bright for their colors. Parchment looks more antique which would blend nice with the 50's look.

I was expecting black to blow the others out of the water. I was thinking black might pull it all together (matching the PUPs)… and there would be a layer of "cream" between the two black layers—giving it a subtle hint of a lighter color.

But, I agree the parchment IS a nice contrast against the burst. It also resembles the look of the sunburst "70s Tribute" that is no longer in production.

Interesting poll results thus far, indeed! Thanks for playing along, everyone!

=D>

You have the privilege of not having the binding. You can do white and have the whole thing work out. GIbson uses an off-white / pink binding on its other SG necks and the pink binding with white looks odd. It stands out, and makes either the neck binding or the white elements really pop.

That said, I think it looks better without. clean. good.

But, since you want to obsess about how you're going to tweak your new ride, here's my input: the surface color doesn't matter, it's all about the layers. Black is neat and all, but I kinda like it thick. Gimme some BWBWWB on that! subtle, but worth it. I loves me some subtlety.

You have the privilege of not having the binding. You can do white and have the whole thing work out. GIbson uses an off-white / pink binding on its other SG necks and the pink binding with white looks odd. It stands out, and makes either the neck binding or the white elements really pop.

That said, I think it looks better without. clean. good.

But, since you want to obsess about how you're going to tweak your new ride, here's my input: the surface color doesn't matter, it's all about the layers. Black is neat and all, but I kinda like it thick. Gimme some BWBWWB on that! subtle, but worth it. I loves me some subtlety.

Thanks for the input!

I feel a guitar is naked w/out a pick guard. It should only lack one by the player's choice to remove it. I bought this model because it had pretty much everything else—and within my budget. Figured adding a pick guard would be the least of the challenges/costs I'd have to deal with.

In the end, it's gonna be either that parchment/cream color with a layer of black in between, or black with a layer of cream in between. I like subtlety, as well, and a hint of cream between black would probably be enough for me:

Thanks for the input!

I feel a guitar is naked w/out a pick guard. It should only lack one by the player's choice to remove it. I bought this model because it had pretty much everything else—and within my budget. Figured adding a pick guard would be the least of the challenges/costs I'd have to deal with.

In the end, it's gonna be either that parchment/cream color with a layer of black in between, or black with a layer of cream in between. I like subtlety, as well, and a hint of cream between black would probably be enough for me:

When you try to sleep at night, you will be counting pick guards instead of sheep...... [lol]

Archived