Gibson Brands Forums

Cracked body - is it safe? How to repair?

Hello everyone! I've got a very good deal for a beautiful Gibson Tribute 60s Worn Honey guitar however it's got a crack in the body. I doesn't seem like something very serious however I would like to know if this is worth purchasing/if it needs fixing. If it does how would You go around to do that? It's a new guitar from a retailer but was damaged in transport appearantly. It's barely visible and it's a gorgeous guitar. Any help would be great- THank You!

ogDWjehl.jpg

UQEFrvLl.jpg

nMcRlbel.jpg

Hello everyone! I've got a very good deal for a beautiful Gibson Tribute 60s Worn Honey guitar however it's got a crack in the body. I doesn't seem like something very serious however I would like to know if this is worth purchasing/if it needs fixing. If it does how would You go around to do that? It's a new guitar from a retailer but was damaged in transport appearantly. It's barely visible and it's a gorgeous guitar. Any help would be great- THank You!

I'm sure there are plenty of people that can give you more informed technical answers but from my experience with cracks, they aren't usually a big deal... I had a couple on an old guitar of mine and then when I refinished it I realized they were actually just in the paint.

I would be tempted depending on just how good the deal is and how bad the cracks look up close with my bifocals on. I would have to hold it, pet it, feed it and call it Georganne before I paid for it though.

It is a very nice looking instrument ...

Looks like it might be a flaw in the wood as opposed to damage from dropping it. Anyways, make them sell it to you for less than 50% of the list price, less than $700. That's what some dealers would do to get rid of their scratch and dents.

A couple of strategically placed 1-1/2" course thread drywall screws in from the back should take care of it! msp_scared.gif

((sorry, couldn't resist))

For 5 bills I would be studying this pretty hard. The cracks don't look very worrisome in the photos

Archived