Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Production 2013

Quart Bernstein

With Gibson's recent long draw of fresh out of production instrument's,

I had a feeling something was up, and was looking to see if Gibson was planning to fill in the trench's dug out of all our heart's, and the production line.

The replacement's.

And I would rather have had this be a new thread to the slightly loony conversation about the recently out of production guitars.

So let this be their final thought in this thread. Go buy the out of production's now or start a new thread.

This is about new models.

Since this correspond's to my own search for a small body, I have asked about every Gibson 5 star dealer under the sun if they knew anything or could find out more of any new production guitars to fill in the gap's,

well, I found two.

First thing's first, was that I was told Gibson hasn't released current plans for new small-body models. While this seemed like a barren red tape response, it did seem "hintful" to a plan.

So I asked around and found:

1) A 1929 L-1 model coming out "very soon. The proto-type is just getting done now. It's a replica 1929 model."

2) A 1932 L-00 model, "which should be around September."

Concluding that the 1934 Original Jumbo was announced at Summer NAMM,

I am going to make a solid gesture that the direction of the new guitar's is going to go on reproduction models based on specific year's.

I personally find this a plus to all the, insert famous musician, guitar's. It seem's like a combination between the true vintage and the named guitar's.

Nonetheless, I have two basic favor's to ask in this thread.

1) Please remain positive until the instrument's are actually released.

2) I assume there are more production instrument's being planned as we speak. So if some people can ask around, I am sure there will be more to be found, especially in terms of big bodied guitars.

(But maybe also, please a 12 fret Nick Lucas =)

Edit:

I have seen a lot of archetype guitars that Ren Ferguson made before leaving Gibson. Taking in a guitar from X year, typically the 30s or 40s and remaking it to sort of put on file.

I am going to assume this is where the new line of guitars comes from.

IE:

http://www.taylorguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239033

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257057

Since this correspond's to my own search for a small body, I have asked about every Gibson 5 star dealer under the sun if they knew anything or could find out more of any new production guitars to fill in the gap's,

well, I found two.

First thing's first, was that I was told Gibson hasn't released current plans for new small-body models. While this seemed like a barren red tape response, it did seem "hintful" to a plan.

Just to be clear, these are not going to be regular production models, but very limited editions. The plan is to introduce a couple each quarter (kind of like the old "Guitar of the Month"). These first two (for Summer) are the '34 Jumbo and the '42 J-45. The next pair (for Fall) are expected to the the L-1 and L-00 you mention, but that is subject to change right up until they're announced and dealers can order them (if they're quick enough).

-- Bob R

I wonder why there is no webpage for the 34 jumbo yet ?

Because they've decided that Facebook is a better mechanism for making information about new models available. Perhaps because it takes months to get the folks at corporate to update the website. The '34 Jumbo will be long gone before it gets added (if it will get added at all). Folks in Bozeman strongly advise following Gibson Acoustic, or whatever they call themselves, on Facebook if you think you might be interested in these limited edition models.

-- Bob R

Curious as to how one would price these for their budgets? Does the standard 40% off list still apply as the deal to expect? Or is this another way to squeeze more $$$ out of them?

That's completely up to the dealers, of course. I expect some will discount them less, because of the rarity, and some will discount them the usual amount in order to move them quickly. I guess we'll find out who does which as time goes by. Certainly one of the easiest methods of getting 40% off from dealers without much argument -- calling E. M. Shorts for a price quote and asking the dealer to match their price -- won't work with these limited editions (because Shorts won't be able to get one for you unless you move very quickly, and maybe not even then).

-- Bob R

"Hi, Gibson does have a new L-1 coming out in about a month – here’s what my Gibson guy told me today:

We have based this off of a 1929 from Gary Burnette’s collection, along with a 29 we borrowed from another collector. Funny thing is they were both totally different.

Will indeed have the same body as the RJ L-1, but the finish and neck will be different. This guitar will have a more period correct “V” profile and a 1.77” nut. Also the finish will have an aged faded coloration."

"Here is some basic info on the soon to be released L-1 Blues Tribute and 1932 L-00

L-1 L-00

Back and Sides, and neck Mahogany Mahogany

Top Adirondack Red Spruce Adirondack Red Spruce

Binding Single Ply top and Back Single Ply top, no back binding

FB and Bridge Rosewood Rosewood

Hide Glue Top Bracing and neck joint All bracing and neck joint

Scale 25” 25”

Nut width 1.77” 1.75”

Peg Head Logo MOP “The Gibson” Silk Screen “Gibson” Script

Finish Faded burst top, Unitone body 30’s small burst

Bridge Rectangle Open Slot Rosewood Rectangle Open Slot Rosewood

Tuners Nickel Vintage Open Back Nickel Vintage Open Back

Hopefully this information helps.

Thanks!"

Will indeed have the same body as the RJ L-1, but the finish and neck will be different. This guitar will have a more period correct “V” profile and a 1.77” nut.

The originals did not have a "V" profile neck.

• 4 weeks later...

img1_218005.jpg

This appears to be the new L-1. Sadly they messed up one of the most important parts of an L-1, the neck joint is at the 14th fret, and not the 12th. Pretty much changes the guitar completely in terms of looks AND sound.

I think it actually has the joint at the 14 fret . the double circle inlays indicate that you have reached the 12 fret and since you can't see the nut in the picture I belive the first fret did not come out in the picture .

JC

I think it actually has the joint at the 14 fret . the double circle inlays indicate that you have reached the 12 fret and since you can't see the nut in the picture I belive the first fret did not come out in the picture .

JC

Ive seen multiple pictures at different angles. They screwed it up big time. Let me re-phrase; The shoulders should be at the 12th fret, not the 14th. As far as Im concerned this is not an L-1. Lets hope its either some Asian fake, or a prototype. It seems to match the specs so I doubt it. So once again, Gibson makes what shoudlve been an amazing guitar crappy by screwing up one thing.

Ive seen multiple pictures at different angles. They screwed it up big time. Let me re-phrase; The shoulders should be at the 12th fret, not the 14th. As far as Im concerned this is not an L-1. Lets hope its either some Asian fake, or a prototype. It seems to match the specs so I doubt it. So once again, Gibson makes what shoudlve been an amazing guitar crappy by screwing up one thing.

I see what you mean ... that does look quite daft I hadn't noticed at first but now I do and you are right !

GLR,

maybe it could be possible the specific one gary has has the shoulders at the 14 ? I checked this video out and it seems Don Ruffatto is playing another vintage gibson that meets the body at the 14th fret also :

http://www.citizen-times.com/VideoNetwork/2176050609001/Asheville-collector-s-rare-Gibson-guitars-in-spotlight

keep and eye out towards the end

JC

img1_218005.jpg

This appears to be the new L-1. Sadly they messed up one of the most important parts of an L-1, the neck joint is at the 14th fret, and not the 12th. Pretty much changes the guitar completely in terms of looks AND sound.

Notice the artful placement of the pick guard!!!

Notice the artful placement of the pick guard!!!

I know, right? Wouldn't even care about it, I'd just have it carefully taken off. But it's not so easy to fix that scale issue. I don't understand how they could even do that, RJ's guitar wasn't like that in the pictures, nor was any L-1 I've seen from 28'. I mean hey, not even the RJ reissue has that scale. Id much rather have one of the 5 Star Dealer Exclusive 1930's, as that, to my eyes, seemed to be the best "new" L-1, although I doubt I'll find one any time soon.

The sheer stupidity of that build makes me think it has to be fake, otherwise I would have to dub it a Gibson L-1-00 ;)

The original post states that the prototype is just coming out about now, not that it is finished and available for viewing, so how can the picture be of something not done yet? It is a picture of a guitar with the words "Gibson Five Star Dealer" underneath but I can't see the word Gibson anywhere on the guitar in the picture.

The original post states that the prototype is just coming out about now, not that it is finished and available for viewing, so how can the picture be of something not done yet? It is a picture of a guitar with the words "Gibson Five Star Dealer" underneath but I can't see the word Gibson anywhere on the guitar in the picture.

In the other images it pretty matches the specs exactly. Has Gibson on the headstock/faded burst/nickel tuners.

Talked to some dealers and it should be ready by September to go out to the stores, so I assume the protoype has long been done.

Because they've decided that Facebook is a better mechanism for making information about new models available. Perhaps because it takes months to get the folks at corporate to update the website. The '34 Jumbo will be long gone before it gets added (if it will get added at all). Folks in Bozeman strongly advise following Gibson Acoustic, or whatever they call themselves, on Facebook if you think you might be interested in these limited edition models.

-- Bob R

Corporate site is indeed slow to update. I pointed out some time ago that many/all of the acoustic specs pages read "guage" instead of "gauge" for the strings. Small thing, but still...

"Hi, Gibson does have a new L-1 coming out in about a month – here’s what my Gibson guy told me today:

We have based this off of a 1929 from Gary Burnette’s collection, along with a 29 we borrowed from another collector. Funny thing is they were both totally different.

Will indeed have the same body as the RJ L-1, but the finish and neck will be different. This guitar will have a more period correct “V” profile and a 1.77” nut. Also the finish will have an aged faded coloration."

"Here is some basic info on the soon to be released L-1 Blues Tribute and 1932 L-00

L-1 L-00

Back and Sides, and neck Mahogany Mahogany

Top Adirondack Red Spruce Adirondack Red Spruce

Binding Single Ply top and Back Single Ply top, no back binding

FB and Bridge Rosewood Rosewood

Hide Glue Top Bracing and neck joint All bracing and neck joint

Scale 25” 25”

Nut width 1.77” 1.75”

Peg Head Logo MOP “The Gibson” Silk Screen “Gibson” Script

Finish Faded burst top, Unitone body 30’s small burst

Bridge Rectangle Open Slot Rosewood Rectangle Open Slot Rosewood

Tuners Nickel Vintage Open Back Nickel Vintage Open Back

Hopefully this information helps.

Thanks!"

Any info on the neck profile of the L-00? Any idea on price or timing? I just picked up a Keb Mo, which I love but I really prefer the simple appointments seen in other L-00 models... i am not big on the bound fretboard and headstock on the keb mo....I definitely plan to have an L-00 but may swap out the keb mo for one of the new ones if they hit the shops soon.

Okay so I am replying to my own question but.......I just google Gibson L-00 1932 reissue and this came up.....

http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Montana-HL32VSNH1-Reissue-Acoustic-Electric/dp/B00C1WHN6Y

http://www.woodbrass.com/en/acoustic-guitars-gibson-1932-l-00-reissue-p157976.html

http://cosmomusic.ca/guitar-acoustic-gibson-1932-l-00-reissue-vint-sunburst-w-cas.html

$6500 list and priced at $4550-5000....

....not sure if this is the new one, but it looks that way....

Archived