Gibson Brands Forums

Fiber Optic Internet

Rocky4

I have Verizon FIOS, which is supposed to be all that, but it's not. Don't notice any difference from cable, plus going through the Verizon servers, the web pages load thousands of background crap before the page you want finishes loading.

Guest Farnsbarns

Fiber Optic Internet is meaningless.

Unless the fiber is terminating in your home.

Are they running fiber to your home?

That's not quite right to be fair.

Case in point: I have a copper connection to my street's AGTB which has a fibre terminal in it. If I was not on fibre I would be connected to the copper terminal in the box. The difference is about 1.5 miles of copper compaired to about 200 yds of copper which in real terms is 10mb compared to 35mb.

While having fibre right to my house would be faster (40mb), to say fibre is meaningless unless it terminates in your house is untrue. In this case it means a 300% increase over strait copper but would only make a further 12.5% difference if I had fibre to my door.

I believe so

That's cool. Then yes you will notice a big difference.

Mostly when doing simultaneous things in the house like your kids downloading music, surfing the net and watching streaming video while you watch netflix.

Will they provide you with a converter for your land line?

Make sure you have a cell phone because the land line conversion technology is not that great. Unless you have a SIP phone they will likely use a box to convert your analog phone to another protocol,,, likely SIP.

For the older folks who like their land lines, they don't always like how the phone works after the change.

That's not quite right to be fair.

Case in point: I have a copper connection to my street's AGTB which has a fibre terminal in it. If I was not on fibre I would be connected to the copper terminal in the box. The difference is about 1.5 miles of copper compaired to about 200 yds of copper which in real terms is 10mb compared to 35mb.

While having fibre right to my house would be faster (40mb), to say fibre is meaningless unless it terminates in your house is untrue. In this case it means a 300% increase over strait copper but would only make a further 12.5% difference if I had fibre to my door.

All you are doing there is shortening the copper. You are not on fiber you are just closer to it. I know this stuff. I have worked for a Telco for the past 30+ years.

I currently work in Tier III support of our new tech.

FTTP(Fiber to the Prem) is supported in the group that I work in.

I don't support it but my coworkers do. I am working in IMS(IP Multimedia Subsystem) development so I am not involved in FTTP. But I know it's functionality, the protocols and how it traverses the network and can troubleshoot it if my coworkers are away.

We are deploying here now. New developments have no copper anymore.

It's all going fiber.

I have no idea what AGTB acronym is where you are but we have been deploying fiber closer to the subscriber for a long time now. That is nothing new. We have the same short copper hops you are talking about.

As with any new technology it's not without it's problems.

Trouble shooting in the IP cloud can be a nightmare.

The old copper A to B was easy. IP has changed everything.

Archived