Gibson Brands Forums

guitar centres

blindboygrunt

If a price is on a guitar centre website , how close is that to what you would pay ?

On average.. Not looking for someone's deal of the century story.

Mrs is going to Boston for a holiday . I'm researching :)

I'm pretty sure the lowest price they can advertise on Gibsons is the factory-specified Minimum Advertised Price. The actual selling price should be lower, but I don't know by how much. My guess is that 10-15% lower than MAP would be a target price, but I've never bought a guitar there.

We've got some members here in the Boston area, and they may be able to steer you to good local stores as well.

The Fenway guitar center is actually pretty nice- they usually have great prices on used stuff, even gibson. You can check the used inventory by store, definitely worth checking out. I'd say for newer stuff the online prices match up with the online price. One important thing to note is that if you're traveling aug 10-11, its a tax holiday in MA.

There isn't a ton else around acoustic-wise- Mr Music in Allston has amazing electrics

Tell her to enjoy the trip! If you need any other advice I've been here about 10 years and know my way around!

For example, if Guitar Center shows a selling price of $2499 on their web site, they'll be glad to take it if someone is willing to pay it. Their big sales are 15%-20% off that figure , then negotiate with them from that point. That's what I do when I'm ready to buy. They can always come down more from the sale price. Some folks probably negotiate better than I do, maybe some not quite as good. Either way, I won't pay the price they're pushing.

The usual street price of $2199 plus tax.

Thanks for that :)

Exchange rate already makes it 1/3 cheaper than here . $1500 more or less is £1000 ... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.... Food for thought. We pay pretty much the same as you guys but just exchange the dollar sign for a pound sign . hmmmmm

Thanks for that :)

Exchange rate already makes it 1/3 cheaper than here . $1500 more or less is £1000 ... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.... Food for thought. We pay pretty much the same as you guys but just exchange the dollar sign for a pound sign . hmmmmm

ya I know what you mean. I lived in London from 2005-10 and during much of that time it was £1 = $2. Bringing money over from home at first was really a tough loss, but once I started working it was nice to be able to pay bills back at home because my money basically doubled in that process. I did notice how the numbers of all sorts of things seemed to be the same number, just change the currency symbol. Although the sales tax is added to the price over here whereas the VAT is built into the quoted price. I think that's one way they get away with such a huge sales tax in the UK. It was 17.5% when I left, has it gone up since?

Tons of things are way cheaper, even stuff made in China. I helped several friends out by purchasing items for them when I was home for holidays including laptops, DSLR's etc. Saved a lot of friends some serious money!

Archived