Gibson Brands Forums

L-48??

Joe M

I want to say a 1951 guitar will still have a solid top. Gibson went to a laminte top on that model sometime in the 1950s but I think it was closer to mid-decade. You migth want to check though before you commit to buying. From what I have seen, the price is good but not what I would call a killer deal.

The thing to keep in mind about archtops is you cannot aproach them like you would a flattop. So if you are not familiar with them archtops can be somewhat frustrating at first.

Good luck.

If it does indeed have a solid wood top I think it might be a pretty good deal. I'd want to play it, of course.

Brand new solid top archtops in that price range are just about exclusively Chinese these days. Set up properly, that would be a sweet guitar.

I had a 1948 L48 with a solid (pressed, not carved) mahogany top.

The top on this one looks identical.

Mine had a flat & braced back, like a flattop acoustic.

The back on the one you're considering is arched, as most were.

These can have a very nice sound.

The thing to keep in mind about archtops is you cannot aproach them like you would a flattop. So if you are not familiar with them archtops can be somewhat frustrating at first.

Good luck.

Could not be more true. I have a '46 with a solid top and arched back- some days it sings and others I can't figure out what to do with it besides maybe break it to pieces in frustration. Mines got a p90 at the neck so its like an es125. I don't think I'd have bought an acoustic version.

Boy, ain't that the truth! Still trying to come to terms with my lovely 1947 L-7......

Archived