Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Case & Gibson Vintage String Package Smell

Hype

Does anyone notice the really nice smell from their Gibson Custom Shop Cases? Smells like vanilla/chocolate....

The same smell is found when opening Gibson Vintage Reissue strings too....

Does Gibson sell a scented spray?

Thanks in advance....

We've had some heavy posts on this and it's the controversy of "the Nitro of the guitar or is it the case deal. You know, do the fish make the pond stink or does the pond make the fish stink pontification. [biggrin]

I have noticed it with all the Nitro guitars esp. the Acoustics. The Nitro lacquer smells much like vanilla to my olfactory device.

Aster

The new guitar smell...it keeps you coming back for more. The FDA should outlaw it as an addictive drug. :rolleyes:

The best smells in the world are fresh coffee brewing, bread baking, new money and new guitars. I don't know if it is the nitro because I got myself a new Gretsch Country Club (polyurethane) and it has that same sweet vanilla scent. The only thing in common with a nitro-ed Gibson is TKL as manufacturer of the case so maybe it is the case after all. They should really bottle it. Give your old guitars that brand-new scent all over again.

I had contented myself with buying used guitars until I made the mistake of buying my very first new one. I was never the same savvy consumer after that day.

I always thought that was the guitar smell. My wife thinks I'm crazy. I have an ES-339 that smells like candy. The first thing I do when I open the case and pull out the guitar is sniff it for a minute. I have an old martin D35 that smells real nice too. I bury my face in the sound hole before I start playing. LOL

I've been through the various threads on the possible smell, but while many believe it's the nitrocellulose I don't believe it smells like vanilla/chocolate. It does have a sweet smell, but not the scent I'm referring to. If any of you have the opportunity to purchase a pack of Vintage Reissue Strings:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-AVRx-LIST

When you open the pack you'll know what smell I'm referring to.

The first thing I do when I open the case and pull out the guitar is sniff it for a minute. I have an old martin D35 that smells real nice too. I bury my face in the sound hole before I start playing. LOL

If I were a sub. abuse councilor I'd axe you about "do you like to sniff the gas when you're filling your car, or when you build model airplanes did you spend a long time with the glue tube or ever just sniff that?" Did you loose any grasp of time afterwords? [biggrin]

I will say I like the smell of a new guitar. As silly as it sounds with 2 of my new Gibson's I had to start wearing my paint/bug spray respirator when I'd play for at least a month. They had never hung on a showroom floor and were just shipped from Montana to the store, then to me within a few days. I can't handle the inhalant fumes anymore w/o them causing me some problems with lethargy the next day. "I'm a cheap date for sure!"

Aster

I always thought that was the guitar smell. My wife thinks I'm crazy. I have an ES-339 that smells like candy. The first thing I do when I open the case and pull out the guitar is sniff it for a minute. I have an old martin D35 that smells real nice too. I bury my face in the sound hole before I start playing. LOL

[tongue] Same here. All of my guitars have a different smell but I enjoy them all for different reasons.

Archived