Gibson Brands Forums

More Guitar Center Union News

tazzboy

1. In before lock.

2. If I were still union as I was in 1980, I could retire today with full benefits & 80% pay. Now I have a 401k and won't ever be able to get a real retirement. If I live another 7 years I can do a reverse mortgage on both of my properties and maybe by then the healthcare system will be okay. I'm not betting on it.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"

FedEx package handlers are treated very similar to UPS handlers with almost the same pay and decent benefits for a part time job. As for this little nugget.. "It takes three Fed Ex drivers from 3 separate Fed Ex companies to do the work of 1 UPS driver." well, respectfully, that's just bu11shit that you pulled straight out of your *** not isn't it? [rolleyes] "

ah yes. Straight out of my *** because I actually can get my Ground, Overnight air, and courier deliveries on the same truck with Fed EX- er, no I cant.

"For a part time job". Hmm that is a very important part of what you just said, because the majority of Fred Ex drivers are either part timers or " independent contractors" who get no benefits and a 1099 at the end of the year forcing them to pay even the company's share of employment taxes. That is why I could go and get a job with Fed Ex just about any time I wanted but it would be almost impossible to get in at UPS without spending 5 years sorting boxes. Fed Ex drivers are expendable while UPS drivers have a full time career.

"Well, the Teamsters (you know... the UPS employees) say you're full of sh1t. I mean you would have to be really stupid to believe that paying more for health care and getting less for my money would be better for me. In fact it seems that everything you have said here has absolutely nothing to back it up. Almost as though your position is purely ideological rather than based on reality. :-k "

If you are paying more for health insurance and getting less it is because of your campany's resistance to ACA. My (Teamsters Teamcare) insurance has stayed solid and benefits have expanded to eliminate lifetime caps, allow my adult children to stay on my insurance, and covers pre-existing conditions right now, not in 2014. I have my insurance policy to back it up.

I am not trying to put you down. I just strongly disagree with you. I was at my current job before we organized and have seen both sides. My job literally went from being a dead end expendable job with no benefits to a career that I can take into retirement, while my company's profitability has not suffered one bit.

Again, Im not going to convince you so I dont know why I even waste time discussing it so I'll leave it at that. I think your guitar related posts are great and politics aside we probably have more in common than not.

Rosemarie,

I think, at least for myself & many others I visit with, the problems we have with the Unions is just this:

They protect & keep poor workers on the payroll by fighting the cause for them. I would suggest that the Unions, and the other Union workers, would what to keep it a proud thing to be THE BEST! This isn't the case as so many slackers (holding up the shovel around the water jug types) get protected for poor work ethics, poor work output & poor workmanship as well. If I was working along side a slacker, while I was bust'n my butt to do a good job & produce volume too, I'd smack them aside the head with their own shovel they were leaning on! Why would an organization want to protect that? They aren't stupid people and they KNOW who's slacking off. I've heard the hard workers admonished on the job sites (new project commercial construction) for making the other look bad and to slow down. Also, to hold up a company for making money for the owners when the workers have NO FINANCIAL RISK isn't okay either. A company is started to fill a persons dream & may be to make the best widget, or make money, or make a living. I've been a worker for 15 yrs & a business owner for coming up 30 (some overlap while I was still working for a National company as a technical engineer). Been working hard for 45 yrs straight. I know who is the 1st to start & the last to go home, who works weekends & who takes the emergency work most always, and if $$ is tight who skips paychecks (sometimes for 6-8 month spells over the years). It ain't my staff!! I love em all and they are proud to work with & for me. We are friends & family and they NEVER begrudge me taking any time off. I've had to cut back my hours to 70/week now as my body just won't take the stressful pace. We've only been held up, for the most part, by Union Electricians, Tinners (HVAC), and some of the worst are Plumbers & Sprinkler guys!!! The plumbers (no union style) have held us up bad too so it must just be the trade. :rolleyes:

Same with what's going on with us here with our Teachers Union (one of the worst things ever for the kids learning anything). Why should a teacher get a pay increase for merely getting some more schooling? Our liberal newspaper even too issue with this. The were reporting the research doesn't support this endevour. Most they checked that got $$$ increases (and not chump change either) was for a non associated degree. Say they teach Art, and they get a Masters in Language. And one guess WHO paid for the $14,000 Masters program? Yup, all the people not the teacher. I would agree that if you get more training in a field AND THAT YOU CAN SHOW it improves your ability & talents to perform, then fine. If one of our guys takes it on to learn to program or be proficient in a new area, THAT WE CAN USE AT WORK, then they ARE worth more $$ to me and I don't need someone to tell me that. I would shut down & liquidate if I had to deal with the a Union as it's bad enough to do battle with the Feds, State, Counties etc. all day and try to get any work done too. That's what I've seen in several years, several States, and several jobs.

May have to with Obamacare by 2015 anyway unless some of the things are fixed. Will pay the fines till then as my workers don't want to have their ins. that I contribute to, messed with. You know just like all the Fed workers (House, Senate, Aids, IRS, Postal Workers) and now the big UNIONS don't want it and want wavers. Feds House & Senate now have the HUGE increases in costs paid for by the taxpayers. If it's so good why don't people want it and even the mainstream polls claim over 70% of our populate doesn't want it in the mess the Dems rammed it thru as?

Aster

"For a part time job". Hmm that is a very important part of what you just said, because the majority of Fred Ex drivers are either part timers or " independent contractors" who get no benefits and a 1099 at the end of the year forcing them to pay even the company's share of employment taxes. That is why I could go and get a job with Fed Ex just about any time I wanted but it would be almost impossible to get in at UPS without spending 5 years sorting boxes. Fed Ex drivers are expendable while UPS drivers have a full time career.

"Well, the Teamsters (you know... the UPS employees) say you're full of sh1t. I mean you would have to be really stupid to believe that paying more for health care and getting less for my money would be better for me. In fact it seems that everything you have said here has absolutely nothing to back it up. Almost as though your position is purely ideological rather than based on reality. :-k "

If you are paying more for health insurance and getting less it is because of your campany's resistance to ACA. My (Teamsters Teamcare) insurance has stayed solid and benefits have expanded to eliminate lifetime caps, allow my adult children to stay on my insurance, and covers pre-existing conditions right now, not in 2014. I have my insurance policy to back it up.

I am not trying to put you down. I just strongly disagree with you. I was at my current job before we organized and have seen both sides. My job literally went from being a dead end expendable job with no benefits to a career that I can take into retirement, while my company's profitability has not suffered one bit.

I have 4 UPS drivers during a week and I don't hear them speak highly of the UNION or UPS either one!! They have some of the most busted up bodies but will admit the make a TON of $$$ for it.

I have 2 FEDEX Gnd. drivers too. One at home, one at work. They LOVE being an independent contractor as their paycheck is set by how hard THEY want to work and succeed. Not dependent on a Union contract or others. They make good $$$ for sure and more than cover the 7.65% for the employers side of things. Also the is some FUTA & SUTA that ain't that much that we would pay for as an employer.

I'm telling ya, you all that think it's going to be great, esp. with all the waivers handed out, will be really surprised with the outcome. Like Nancy Pelosi said: "we have to pass this to find out what's in it" and we will too. Too bad ALL of us have to find out and pay for it. Also, too much of the ACA isn't even related to Health Care and only a few good things were fixed like per-existing conditions and students on parents Heath plans etc.

Aster

Archived