Gibson Brands Forums

More Guitar Center Union News

tazzboy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well... Thanks for the quote. I figured it'd be there somewhere but...

Do you have any idea how long it's been since I read Huck? <grin>

About the same time I read Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven some 55-56 years ago.

Sheesh...

<chortle>

m

Searcy, Rowdy and Cabba:

While I respect your viewpoint, I disagree respectfully. Here's why.

Both my Dad and husband worked and currently do work in union shops respectively. My father (who has the same eye condition as I do) almost lost his job *NUMEROUS* times because he had to take days off from work when I had surgeries as a child (I have had 42 eye surgeries over my lifetime to save what vision I have). They also tried to fire him when my mom was in a serious car accident when I was 11 because she was hospitalized and he had to take care of me and my siblings. If not for a union, he would have lost his job through no fault of his own. Case #2, my husband. He is a mechanic at UPS. He was almost fired because one of his trucks caught fire and they did not wantto investigate it. At the time, my husband had been there for 8 years and had a spotless work record. If not for the union, my husband would have lost his job without even being able to prove he was not at fault. The union MADE the company investigate, to which they found that the cheap turbo that the company purchased was not built properly and malfunctioned. UPS is notorious for "fire first, ask questions later".

To add to my point, my husband and his father worked at a non union shop. His father lost part of his finger in a baling machine and the company didn't offer him a penny in compensation. Said they didn't have to.

In my experiences with my father, my husband and his father working in union and non union shops, I'd take a union shop any day. I am not saying all unions are perfect, they aren't, but overall I believe employees get more protection for their rights.

One final note. To the person who said that a person who screws a nut on a bolt doesn't need union protection, tell that to my husband who needs to have Carpal Tunnel surgery because he is in constant pain from using power tools and has extensive nerve damage while his boss tries to talk him out of it because the company doesn't want to pay out workman's comp.

Searcy, Rowdy and Cabba:

While I respect your viewpoint, I disagree respectfully. Here's why.

Both my Dad and husband worked and currently do work in union shops respectively. My father (who has the same eye condition as I do) almost lost his job *NUMEROUS* times because he had to take days off from work when I had surgeries as a child (I have had 42 eye surgeries over my lifetime to save what vision I have). They also tried to fire him when my mom was in a serious car accident when I was 11 because she was hospitalized and he had to take care of me and my siblings. If not for a union, he would have lost his job through no fault of his own. Case #2, my husband. He is a mechanic at UPS. He was almost fired because one of his trucks caught fire and they did not wantto investigate it. At the time, my husband had been there for 8 years and had a spotless work record. If not for the union, my husband would have lost his job without even being able to prove he was not at fault. The union MADE the company investigate, to which they found that the cheap turbo that the company purchased was not built properly and malfunctioned. UPS is notorious for "fire first, ask questions later".

To add to my point, my husband and his father worked at a non union shop. His father lost part of his finger in a baling machine and the company didn't offer him a penny in compensation. Said they didn't have to.

In my experiences with my father, my husband and his father working in union and non union shops, I'd take a union shop any day. I am not saying all unions are perfect, they aren't, but overall I believe employees get more protection for their rights.

One final note. To the person who said that a person who screws a nut on a bolt doesn't need union protection, tell that to my husband who needs to have Carpal Tunnel surgery because he is in constant pain from using power tools and has extensive nerve damage while his boss tries to talk him out of it because the company doesn't want to pay out workman's comp.

When you join a union shop you have entered an adversarial relationship with the company. I worked a union job as a dues paying member for 5 years. I saw first hand the "us V them" attitude that both the management and the workers took. I also got to see the scare tactic and corruption that our union was based on. Near the end of my time at that job the Teamsters tried to take over our small, independent union. Ugly times that I have talked about here before so I won't recap them.

I went from that job in South Florida to a new job in Nashville as a factory mechanic. While our mechanic shop wasn't union the line workers were. While at that job I saw a number of people doing disgusting things to the food you eat that were fired by the company only to be hired back with back pay by the union.

Interesting that you bring up UPS. I left that factory job to go to work for RPS 1998 after the 97 UPS strike made their unknown competitor (RPS) the hottest commodity out there. Seeing how the Teamsters now had the power to destroy the entire internet retail industry in its infancy due to lack of competition, Fred Smith bought RPS and turned it into FedEx Ground. The non union company has been taking market share away from UPS year after year.

I have now been a mechanic with FedEx Ground for 15 years. I make good money. I negotiate my raises one on one with my boss. I always laugh a little when people bust out the "if you work a 5 day work week thank a union" because I work a 4 day work week. There's over time if I want it. I get 4 weeks paid vacation. I had great insurance until ObamaCare kicked in this year. I get 25% discount on cell phone plans... the list of discounts goes on and on. When my home was destroyed in the 2010 floods I was given a week off with pay in addition to my 4 weeks vacation for the rebuild and the company gave me several thousand dollars to help pay for the effort. They also sent a crew of 20 people to my house to help with the tare out and demolition work that had to be done. They also took what few things we were able to salvage and put them in storage for me for free. Then they kept coming back to help me lay flooring and hang dry wall and so on.

100_4431.jpg

So after over 20 years as a mechanic and working for various union and non union shops it is my observation that a good employee doesn't need a union. A good employee that joins a union will become a mediocre employee. An employee that joins a union will be in an adversarial relationship with his employer and will be rewarded by contract and never based on his effort or ability.

Given a choice I will not deal with Union shops. I'm sure it must be because I watch FoxNews. [rolleyes]

Obamacare is not Obamacare without a public option. It is Dolecare or Romneycare. I will continue to point this out every time it is mentioned, and I don't really care if it gets me banned or locks every thread on this site.

As for unions, they were necessary in their day.

And I will point out the the current pile of crap we have is called ObamaCare by our President. It's rather amazing to think people will still try to blame this horrible healthcare law on Republicans. Most be a wonderful law indeed if those who wrote it and forced it through and supported it now want to disavow any connection with it. :blink:

It's going to be great watching the Republicans try to sell how providing insurance for folks with pre-existing conditions, keeping your children on your policy until they are 26, eliminating lifetime payout caps, lowered premiums and many other desirable aspects of the ACA are bad for us, not to mention a communist plot ginned up by the big, bad Kenyan. I can't wait to watch this battle finally play out once and for all. I think in 2014 the right wing will finally figure out the rest of us aren't as stupid as they are or their puppet masters think we are. With a lot of hard work, we can make sure they will be realizing it from the comfort of their jesus bunkers and not in D.C. Good riddance in advance.

Not disclaiming it. Just pointing out what it looks like after Republicans get ahold of it. I suppose you would continue a healthcare system where hospitals, drug companies, medical supply companies, and insurance companies continue to soak businesses and patients.

It's great that Fed Ex treats their mechanics so swell, of course mechanics are slightly harder to replace than package handlers. How are package handlers treated at Fed Ex? I'll tell ya how. Like crap. UPS treats their workers better, pays them better,and gives them better benefits. Not because they want to be swell guys and good employers like the fine folks over at Fed EX, but because the workers stand together as a union and insist on being treated fairly. Another thing that UPS does better than Fed EX, deliver packages. It takes three Fed Ex drivers from 3 separate Fed Ex companies to do the work of 1 UPS driver. UPS keeps a better class of driver because they take care of them better, all while still beating Fed EX in profitability.

Of Course I wont convince you because your stance is purely ideological rather than based on reality.

I dont work for UPS but I have the same insurance that they do and it hasn't been affected by "Obamacare" one bit because it was already great insurance and already fully in compliance with the Affordable care act. Maybe you should negotiate better insurance with your boss next time you negotiate your raise and let us know how that works out for you. Tell him to stop using your insurance plan to resist Obamacare at your expense because accepting it will be a lot better for you.

Not disclaiming it. Just pointing out what it looks like after Republicans get ahold of it. I suppose you would continue a healthcare system where hospitals, drug companies, medical supply companies, and insurance companies continue to soak businesses and patients.

Of course he would. It's the 'Murican way! It's our patriotic duty to pay through the nose and risk bankruptcy for the privilege of trying to stay healthy and alive. Losing your home due to exorbitant medical bills is what makes this country great! We're number 1! We're number 1! All the commies in Yurp and every other 1st world nation who have lifetime access to health care are the suckers. Right?

Without question I would have left it alone if the only other option was what we have now. I rather enjoyed having low deductibles and low premiums and expansive services. The problems that were there, and there were some, could have been solved without this 2000 page monster that... among other things... nationalizes the student loan system.

"It's great that Fed Ex treats their mechanics so swell, of course mechanics are slightly harder to replace than package handlers. How are package handlers treated at Fed Ex? I'll tell ya how. Like crap. UPS treats their workers better, pays them better,and gives them better benefits. Not because they want to be swell guys and good employers like the fine folks over at Fed EX, but because the workers stand together as a union and insist on being treated fairly. Another thing that UPS does better than Fed EX, deliver packages. It takes three Fed Ex drivers from 3 separate Fed Ex companies to do the work of 1 UPS driver. UPS keeps a better class of driver because they take care of them better, all while still beating Fed EX in profitability."

FedEx package handlers are treated very similar to UPS handlers with almost the same pay and decent benefits for a part time job. As for this little nugget.. "It takes three Fed Ex drivers from 3 separate Fed Ex companies to do the work of 1 UPS driver." well, respectfully, that's just bu11shit that you pulled straight out of your *** not isn't it? [rolleyes]

"Of Course I wont convince you because your stance is purely ideological rather than based on reality."

That's a rather snide opinion given the personal history I have already outlined.

"I dont work for UPS but I have the same insurance that they do and it hasn't been affected by "Obamacare" one bit because it was already great insurance and already fully in compliance with the Affordable care act. Maybe you should negotiate better insurance with your boss next time you negotiate your raise and let us know how that works out for you. Tell him to stop using your insurance plan to resist Obamacare at your expense because accepting it will be a lot better for you."

Well, the Teamsters (you know... the UPS employees) say you're full of sh1t. I mean you would have to be really stupid to believe that paying more for health care and getting less for my money would be better for me. In fact it seems that everything you have said here has absolutely nothing to back it up. Almost as though your position is purely ideological rather than based on reality. :-k

Hope and Change baby! [thumbup]

I live in the 2nd largest Ins. city in the country. I have several actuary clients that have made it their lives work to understand the far reaching aspects of the so called ACA (unlike the members of both sides of congress that passed this). They all state it will be GREAT for their different companies, but come next year people will find out that it's not going to be either AFFORDABLE or COMPREHENSIVE like the cheap seats are believing. I can't wait to hear them blame/flame all those that have spoken out against this poorly constructed legislation & voted against it for the mess. The pump is already primed and ready to flow. SO much reform could have been made that would have been great, so much WAS done that will bust the US & the people that use to have health ins.

Aster

Of course he would. It's the 'Murican way! It's our patriotic duty to pay through the nose and risk bankruptcy for the privilege of trying to stay healthy and alive. Losing your home due to exorbitant medical bills is what makes this country great! We're number 1! We're number 1! All the commies in Yurp and every other 1st world nation who have lifetime access to health care are the suckers. Right?

To answer your question,,,YES they are. When are you moving to the 'greener grass' ? The sooner the better. I say!

Obamacare is not about Healthcare....its about Gov,t control of your testicles and a huge portion of our economic and personal freedoms. The majority of 'thinking Americans' are against it also despite what the 'spineless' Republicats think.

Without question I would have left it alone if the only other option was what we have now. I rather enjoyed having low deductibles and low premiums and expansive services. The problems that were there, and there were some, could have been solved without this 2000 page monster that... among other things... nationalizes the student loan system.

I'm not sure I know what we'll end up with, and I don't think you do either. It is evident that what we had could not continue. When people can't afford insurance without a job, when hospitals charge ten times for a service or medication than it's cost, when insurance companies are complicit in these overcharges, when people can't get coverage for pre-existing conditions, when doctors charge for unnecessary tests or services, with unreasonable high administration costs and unnecessary duplication, when businesses are hit with inflated premium costs, things must change. I don't know if "Obamacare" can fix these problems, but I do know this- costs must go down and a person should not have to be employed to afford coverage. A public option might have been the best opportunity to force insurance companies to work with health care professionals to cut costs. As it is, the patients are running the asylum, and it was the Republican modifications to the Affordable Healthcare Act that have steered it from the Democrats' original path. If they had showed a little spine and not knuckled under to the ultra right wing fringe, then IMO we'd be looking at a better plan. If politicians in general had deferred to healthcare professionals for their plan, we might be better off. As it is, the very people that should have been regulated are laughing all the way to the bank. I think the plan has a better chance of succeeding if it is allowed to go on. Then maybe it can be amended once the flaws are exposed.

Sorry if I'm getting this thread locked (again).

To answer your question,,,YES they are. When are you moving to the 'greener grass' ? The sooner the better. I say!

Obamacare is not about Healthcare....its about Gov,t control of your testicles and a huge portion of our economic and personal freedoms. The majority of 'thinking Americans' are against it also despite what the 'spineless' Republicats think.

Put a sock in it, Rod. You know I couldn't care less what you think. The odds that you speak for "thinking Americans" are about a 150 million to one.

The fact that DC's finest elected don't want Obamacare is all you need to know about this shell game.

Carry on ladies i'm enjoying the show!

DC's finest. That's hilarious. That group of reprobates are in for a rude awakening. I will particularly enjoy Issa and McConnell getting theirs. It will be sweet. I wish I could dole it out personally.

Frankly, I didn't reply to start a pitical fight. I was stating my own personal experience and stand by it. My husband's situation aside, had my father not worked in a union shop he would have been fired for taking time off to care for me growing up (and I am not talking about a month here or there. I am talking taking four days off - non consecutive - each year!). Further and separate from that, my husband's father worked at a non union shop and was treated like dirt despite his hard work and loyalty.

As to being a mediocre worker if you are in a union, my husband has an excellent work record. He has, per year, two breakdowns out of a fleet of 35 trucks that he maintains. My father was a journeyman bookbinder who knew how to proficiently run every machine (and repair them!) in the entire factory. How does that qualify as mediocre?

There are three major problems with the ACA.

1. It's not single payer. That was taken off the table before they even started negotiating. That's where we need to be if we are going to get everyone in the pool.

2. The legislative branch, instead of looking at the law and saying, "How can we improve it, tighten up the loose bolts", they keep voting to repeal it. It's the the law of the land; fix it or step aside.

3. The people that helped draft this legislation have done *the worst* job of promoting it's benefits. They are so bad at it, if that was their sole job they'd be fired and never work again. Ask people if they like the ACA and they'll tell you they hate it. Ask them if they like each specific item in the ACA and they'll tell you that they love them.

Archived