Gibson Brands Forums

Epi DR100

Dennis G

No you can't! I've got an older PR-100 (same git, new name) that is really fantastic. I've never down any setup or truss rod tweaking and it's always played great. I even put 13's on it and no belly bulge or anything, very nice guitar for camping/beaching etc.

One advantage to "plywood" guitars from a good brand is that usually you can adjust 'em to do a setup - and the plywood works awfully well for the "camping guitar" sorta thing IMHO far better and more practically than a $500 or $5,000 box since it should resist weather better along with the camping sorta lifestyle.

I'd still go for a hard case even though the case will cost doggone as much as the guitar.

This model is physically big. One I think is pretty neat is the PR4e. $200 with a little amp and a low-end gig bag, tuner and strap. The little cutaway guitar is great for a parlor or campfire situation IMHO.

m

According to Sweetwater (and FedEx), it should be here Friday. I'll take a few days to fool with it and then post some pic's and a little review. Based on the 12 string I bought some months ago (DR 212), I think I pretty much know what I'm getting, which for what I want it for, is just fine.

It's not really going to spend any time at "campfires" though, that was just kind of my way of describing my expectations and thoughts (beater guitar?), and I probably won't shed too many tears once that first ding happens LOL.

Ya I know what you mean, everyone needs a good beater guitar. In fact I even have an old Johnson acoustic that I used to mess around with, trying my hand and setup and truss rod tweaking, and of course some saddle sanding. I got a wild hair one day and took a belt sander to it and sanded off all the gloss finish down to bare plywood. It actually sounded pretty good and was a lot of fun to play with and not worry about it. I ended up giving it to my nephew who painted it some interesting colors later on lol.

OK, so first impressions (still haven't broken out the camera). Quality is superb for a sub $100 guitar. The DR 212 I bought has white binding, this has black, with none on the neck like the 212. edit: there is a thin black binding on the neck. Sound, tone, etc is pretty damned good for a cheap guitar. The neck seems a bit wide, but my calipers say it's the same as my Ovation's at the nut, so it's probably the neck profile in general. Haven't spent that much time and it's not that big of a deal to be honest.

Action seems a bit high so I'll have to determine if that's a TR or saddle adjustment. [confused] (Never really done an acoustic setup, so this is also a good "mule" for that purpose [biggrin]

I have Dan Erlewine's book and Greg Voros' video on setups so I should be good to go on advice. Emailed Epi and they tell me it's factory setup with Gibby 12's and I have a lot of D'Addario's that will work quite well. Pic's promised at some point, but all in all, if you're looking for a good quality "entry" (beater? campfire?, etc.?) guitar, this could be the one

I'm looking to add a DR 212 to my collection for the rare occasion that I need to use a 12 string. How do you like yours so far?

I did a search for my review of my 212, but couldn't find it. Doesn't mean you won't, I suck at searches. In a nutshell, it's a great quality guitar for the money, and even though it sounds a bit "thin" for a 12 string, for the limited use I'm giving it, and for what I paid, it's fine for me. YMMV, but if you're looking for a reasonably priced 12'r for limited use, I'd say this is the one. It was also a Guitar Mag Pick, which was what caught my eye.

Edit: FOUND IT!

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/90035-ngd-12-string/page__p__1234603__hl__%2Bepi+%2Bdr+%2B212__fromsearch__1#entry1234603

I did a search for my review of my 212, but couldn't find it. Doesn't mean you won't, I suck at searches. In a nutshell, it's a great quality guitar for the money, and even though it sounds a bit "thin" for a 12 string, for the limited use I'm giving it, and for what I paid, it's fine for me. YMMV, but if you're looking for a reasonably priced 12'r for limited use, I'd say this is the one. It was also a Guitar Mag Pick, which was what caught my eye.

Edit: FOUND IT!

http://forum.gibson...._1#entry1234603

Thanks. I read through the review and I will be ordering one today.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats. I'd be interested in your take on it if different than mine (I might learn something lol).

Now that I've had the new guitar for a week, I must say that I am quite impressed. The only thing I had to do was adjust the truss rod and it was good to go. It is full and rich sounding with the stock strings and switching to some new D'Addraios will probably improve an that some. The fit and finish are flawless as is every aspect of its workmanship. It stays in tune and all tuning machines operate smoothly. It is well worth the money and is exactly what I need. I pretty much agree with your review, in fact that was what convinced me to buy it.

Now that I've had the new guitar for a week, I must say that I am quite impressed. The only thing I had to do was adjust the truss rod and it was good to go. It is full and rich sounding with the stock strings and switching to some new D'Addraios will probably improve an that some. The fit and finish are flawless as is every aspect of its workmanship. It stays in tune and all tuning machines operate smoothly. It is well worth the money and is exactly what I need. I pretty much agree with your review, in fact that was what convinced me to buy it.

Thanks for the update and the confirmation on my impressions of the guitar. Glad you're as happy with yours as I am with mine. Yours is the 4th one sold based on my OP and review!! I'm thinking I almost know what I'm talking about! [biggrin]

Archived