Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 12 string

Dennis G

I'd been tooying with the idea of a 12 string for a while but having owned them before, know it's not something that gonna get a lot of play time and didn't want to drop $400-500 min on a decent one.

Well, Acoustic Guitar arrives and has a stellar review on this baby:

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Acoustic/DR-212.aspx

and I think "Poifect!". Did a little more online digging for reviews, etc. Emailed my Sweetwater rep and my new DR 212 will be here Wednesday. I figured for the price, I couldn't go wrong, and if it really sux, I've got 30 days to return it.

Pix when it gets here.

Arrived today. First impressions:

Nice looking guitar.

Forgot what a PITA it is to tune a 12 string LOL

Fit/finish/quality seems spot on

Made in Indonesia (I'm thinking the same plant my Wildkat was made)

Both G string tuners (why is it always the G string?) seem pretty tight

Overall, it sounds a bit thin for a 12, but hey, it was $169

For what I want/need it for, it's "poifect" [biggrin]

Nut is wider than advertised (but not a surprise based on what I'd read). My digital calipers call it at 1.88. Took about 5 minutes to get used to so no biggie.

Will check intonation, etc. over the next few days, and will take and post some pix, but first impressions are all good. Sweetwater's guys usually do a great job on the setup/inspection. [thumbup]

• 2 months later...

Dennis,

Thanks for your review. I'm pretty much in the same boat. I had a love affair with the 12-string during most of the 70's and early 80's, before I slowing gave up playing for other interests. Now that I seem to have found my way back, the 12 is calling me again. I don't REALLY want to drop 2-3K on a Guild F-412 (like I owned back in the day). I considered the Epi but I am very aware of unique neck probles the 12 string can cause. I thought the Epi might sound a little thin but for $169 compromises have to be made. Do you keep it tuned to standard tuning or down a step? How would you rate it on a scale of 1-10 as far as fit and finish and sound? Thanks!

Dennis,

Thanks for your review. I'm pretty much in the same boat. I had a love affair with the 12-string during most of the 70's and early 80's, before I slowing gave up playing for other interests. Now that I seem to have found my way back, the 12 is calling me again. I don't REALLY want to drop 2-3K on a Guild F-412 (like I owned back in the day). I considered the Epi but I am very aware of unique neck probles the 12 string can cause. I thought the Epi might sound a little thin but for $169 compromises have to be made. Do you keep it tuned to standard tuning or down a step? How would you rate it on a scale of 1-10 as far as fit and finish and sound? Thanks!

Sorry for the delay in responding. I don't usually check in here too often.

All in all I'm pretty happy with what I got for what i paid for what I need it for, etc. if you get my drift. Overall, I'd have to agree with the magazine review of a best buy. On a quality scale, I'd have to give it at least an 8 if not a 9 out of 10.

I keep it tuned to pitch (440) and have not noticed any neck issues to date. If that does become an issue, I'll probably tune down 1/2 step and capo at 1.

FYI and FWIW, I ordered the Gator 12 string case from Sweetwater, but it's not long enough to accomodate the added heaadstock length.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the same guitar for $130, (open box return), and my review would be very positive along the same lines as yours.

The strings on mine were old enough to vote, but that was an easy change. I'm very happy with the sound and the action was incredible, more like an electric guitar, straight out of the box. Just for the looks of it, I took off the pickguard and I'm going to put a clear removable pickguard on it. I have huge hands, so the neck feels really good, but I may reduce the lacquer finish to a satin feel. All in all, this is definitely the best value for money I've seen in an inexpensive guitar in a long, long time.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the same guitar for $130, (open box return), and my review would be very positive along the same lines as yours. ...All in all, this is definitely the best value for money I've seen in an inexpensive guitar in a long, long time.

Thx for that. I pretty much relied on the AG magazine review, and SW's return policy, but after getting it and playing for a bit, well, like I said before, for me it was "poifect". Also glad to hear a couple of your bud's agreed! [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

The worst things I could say about mine are, the pickguard was peeling slightly by the fretboard, so I changed it for another pickguard. I had one very similar to what you would see on a Guild. It matched the sound hole trim diameter really well.

The other thing, and this is subjective, it being a 12 string after all, is that the neck profile is very chunky. I have huge hands, so I really like it, but some players might find the neck profile difficult to handle. At the least, I would suggest people only buy one of these if they can play it first, or if where they buy it has a reasonable return policy.

If you can handle the big neck, you are going to get one hell of a great guitar for very little money.

I agree and I continue to be thrilled with my el cheapo DR-212, as do some friends with much more expensive guitars. Between Epiphone and Yamaha entry level acoustics, it's hard to imagine how anyone else sells a thing!

A few days ago, Guitar Center had a special email 20% off deal. I got doubly lucky when they messed up my order and I wound up with 2 guitars. I ordered the EJ-200 Southern Jumbo style for $199 and paid $159. When the order confirmation came, it listed the AJ-220 Advanced Jumbo, the slope shouldered model. I called back to correct the order and they guy I spoke to said he had canceled the first order. Next thing you know, both guitars arrived. Needless to say, suspecting what had happened, but not knowing which was which, the first one I opened was the wrong one. As long as I had it open, I figured I'd play it a little and I liked it, so I told GC I would keep it if they would maintain the 20% off on it too. They readily agreed and now, I have shaped a bone saddle for the AJ so far. The volume increase was noticeable and string to string clarity is slightly improved. Nobody in their right mind would believe this guitar only sells for $199, so to grab one for $159 is a real treat.

Here's my Epi family picture...

IMG_0511.jpg

L-R... My DR, the EJ, the AJ, my modified Wildkat, LP Tradition Pro and Dot Deluxe.

I agree and I continue to be thrilled with my el cheapo DR-212, as do some friends with much more expensive guitars. Between Epiphone and Yamaha entry level acoustics, it's hard to imagine how anyone else sells a thing!

A few days ago, Guitar Center had a special email 20% off deal. I got doubly lucky when they messed up my order and I wound up with 2 guitars. I ordered the EJ-200 Southern Jumbo style for $199 and paid $159. When the order confirmation came, it listed the AJ-220 Advanced Jumbo, the slope shouldered model. I called back to correct the order and they guy I spoke to said he had canceled the first order. Next thing you know, both guitars arrived. Needless to say, suspecting what had happened, but not knowing which was which, the first one I opened was the wrong one. As long as I had it open, I figured I'd play it a little and I liked it, so I told GC I would keep it if they would maintain the 20% off on it too. They readily agreed and now, I have shaped a bone saddle for the AJ so far. The volume increase was noticeable and string to string clarity is slightly improved. Nobody in their right mind would believe this guitar only sells for $199, so to grab one for $159 is a real treat.

IMG_0511.jpg

L-R... My DR, the EJ, the AJ, my modified Wildkat, LP Tradition Pro and Dot Deluxe.

Now, all you need is a small-body acoustic!

Now, all you need is a small-body acoustic!

Those aren't my only guitars... Besides the other electrics, I also have a couple Martin acoustics, one of which is an OM-1GT. The other is a dread, plus I have a Taylor dread, an Alvarez baritone acoustic and my beater, an Xavier dread with a bubinga body and solid cedar top.

IMG_0511.jpg

How do you like the EJ-200 Artist?

Archived