Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird pics

Nealsey

"some people even use lighter strings like .11 sets"

cliffmac, thanks for your advice!! I took it back to Guitar Center (where I purchased it) and had a 'basic setup performed'.......had the tech put 'extra-light' strings on it.....they sound just fine!!

not to mention easy on the fingers which means tons more play time

Got my new used one yesterday....great shape and I bought it right. Sounds pretty sweet but taking to my set-up bud to have it looked-over.

I'm happy!!

Wow these Hummingbird guitars are all really beautiful. I much prefer these colors over the brown Gibson Hummingbird. I already know how good these sound because I own one. Keep those wonderful hummingbird pics coming members!

humcase.jpgHello everyone, I've been reading, but I'm new here. You 'all talked me into a Hummingbird. I got a used 2013 Pro in about 3 weeks ago and I'm loving the sound. At first it was hard to keep tuned and needed some adjustment. Here's what I done. Put on bone nut measured to the same string spacing as my Martin D-35, strings are just a little closer to the sides of the neck, but fit and play perfect. I also tried a bone saddle and bridge pins, but went back to the standard saddle and kept the bone bridge pins. I adjusted the neck relief and string height, put on ej-16 lights, and now it plays just as good as my D-35 and has a sound all it's own that I really like. My D-35 now has some company, and doesn't feel threatened at all, plus now it gets some needed rest.

One other thing, I went to a guitar store the other day and they had a 2014 Hummingbird on display and the color was a lot lighter than mine and the pick guard was black looking. Didn't like that one as much as the 2013 I got, so happy I bought used.

• 3 weeks later...

humcase.jpgHello everyone, I've been reading, but I'm new here. You 'all talked me into a Hummingbird. I got a used 2013 Pro in about 3 weeks ago and I'm loving the sound. At first it was hard to keep tuned and needed some adjustment. Here's what I done. Put on bone nut measured to the same string spacing as my Martin D-35, strings are just a little closer to the sides of the neck, but fit and play perfect. I also tried a bone saddle and bridge pins, but went back to the standard saddle and kept the bone bridge pins. I adjusted the neck relief and string height, put on ej-16 lights, and now it plays just as good as my D-35 and has a sound all it's own that I really like. My D-35 now has some company, and doesn't feel threatened at all, plus now it gets some needed rest.

One other thing, I went to a guitar store the other day and they had a 2014 Hummingbird on display and the color was a lot lighter than mine and the pick guard was black looking. Didn't like that one as much as the 2013 I got, so happy I bought used.

Update: With the bone pins the sound got a little harsh, so I kept everything else as is and went back to the original bridge pins and now it hums like a hummingbird. The bone nut replacement made the most difference, and improvement in tone. I even tried it without the pickup under the saddle, but the combination with the new bone nut, original saddle and bridge pins, with the under saddle pickup intact, works best for me. It now plays and sounds great, tunes and stays tuned better, and gets better every day.

a11823e062e8d2082216a1c06840f79e.jpg

I purchased this 2009 Artist this weekend. It had been played twice and put away, so it was in mint condition. I put some 80/20 lights on it, and have been absolutely amazed at the sound it produces. It's been difficult to put it down.

Archived