Gibson Brands Forums

Neck shape difference for Hummingbirds

music4love

Hello all. Im so glad to be back after about a year and a half of being away. I owned a J150 around 2004-2006. I sold it with the intention of replacing it with a CJ-165R as I prefer the shorter scale and the smaller body. Unfortunately I got distracted by another brand and this never happened. Fast forward to 2011 and I found a great example of a Hummingbird MC. I loved everything about this GIbson except for the finish. it was just too orange for my personal taste. I also found I needed a little more responsiveness for fingerpicking. So I sold this one and again got distracted by another brand.

Well I sold that other brand recently and went searching for another non Gibson brand when I get an email acoustic letter from MusicVilla. They detailed every Gibson that would be ordered and delivered through the remainder of 2013. And what did I see on the list,...... the( discontinued?) Hummingbird True Vintage .

So I have placed my order and will be finally getting a Gibson that I am confident will stay with me.

One of the things I really liked about the Hummingbird MC was the neck shape. To those of you that have tried both models of the Hummingbird, is the neck the same shape on the MC as the TV?

Hello all. Im so glad to be back after about a year and a half of being away. I owned a J150 around 2004-2006. I sold it with the intention of replacing it with a CJ-165R as I prefer the shorter scale and the smaller body. Unfortunately I got distracted by another brand and this never happened. Fast forward to 2011 and I found a great example of a Hummingbird MC. I loved everything about this GIbson except for the finish. it was just too orange for my personal taste. I also found I needed a little more responsiveness for fingerpicking. So I sold this one and again got distracted by another brand.

Well I sold that other brand recently and went searching for another non Gibson brand when I get an email acoustic letter from MusicVilla. They detailed every Gibson that would be ordered and delivered through the remainder of 2013. And what did I see on the list,...... the( discontinued?) Hummingbird True Vintage .

So I have placed my order and will be finally getting a Gibson that I am confident will stay with me.

One of the things I really liked about the Hummingbird MC was the neck shape. To those of you that have tried both models of the Hummingbird, is the neck the same shape on the MC as the TV?

No orange guitars for me either. I agree about the ugly orange/brown/tan/honey/ whatever color it is supposed be. What ever happened to the wonderful and proud Heritage Cherry Classic Hummingbirds that everyone recognizes them by?... The kind Mick Jagger used in "Angie"... Everyone in the world recognizes them even after decades. Why Gibson deliberately decides to ruin a good thing I'll never know, particularly on such an icon of a guitar as the Hummingbird known the world over. Even my cheap beater $299 Epiphone Hummingbird in my avatar looks more like the real thing than a Gibson browned out orange Hummingbird of ..Honey? Brown? Orange? tan color, who knows. I don't care anymore.

I'd actually say if they made the orange/tan one just a touch more opaque in the orangey parts so you see more grain it would be the nicest finish they done on the bird, those older clownburst jobs are not the ticket at all... some of the dodgier bursts that escaped actually looked a touch ridiculous.

Archived