Gibson Brands Forums

I'm just burnt out......

onewilyfool

Several years ago I had a contract, for all of my time and then some, in another city. I commuted down on Sunday nights, came back home Fridays, lived in a furnished apartment alone during the week. I had a guitar there and had lots of time to play, but I wss just not in that place. I hardly touched the thing for 8 months.

It happens. If it's bothering you, there are lots of good suggestions here -- new material, genres, pllaying situations -- lots of stuff can potentially bring the fun back. Or maybe you just need a break. I know if I ever get really burnt out, I'm buying a Dobro. :)

P

I've been real fortunate over time to not feel a need to break from playing. Trying to pinpoint why, I think it's because I'm addicted to the songs I love, and just enjoy playing/hearing them. They sit in a paper pile that gets added to as another one pops into my head. And I know there's a lifetime of material out there for me to add to. The problem is that I'm getting to the point where I need to have the copy in front of me and I'm losing touch with the core of songs I can play from memory end to end. It's never silent in my home except for sleep or reading, and music is always on in the background via satellite radio, leading to a s'load of material and opportunity to be reminded of songs I want to learn. I'm aging...so there's more pleasure in the songs than in the constant struggle to move my playing forward, but some of the songs help with that anyway. I've been a solo player my whole pickin' life, and it's becoming more clear that it'll stay that way. I'm living alone now so it's easier to fill in my idle time with a guitar hanging from my neck. No one to bore or annoy but the dog. Luckily, I'm a decent singer. My whole angle on being a guitar player would be different if that wasn't true. I'd probably be a more accomplished player...and need to take occasional breaks from playing.

I'm usually burned out on everything else that goes on in my life - the daily sometimes-drudgery that life brings. Think Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day". I suppose since the business of life's responsibilities keeps me away from guitar playing I'm usually raring to go when I get time to play.

Archived