Gibson Brands Forums

help what sg's have coil tapping

bongofury

I believe you want coil splitting, not coil tapping. Many people use these terms incorrectly. Coil tapping refers almost exclusively to single coil pickups, a coil tap effectively reduces the output of the pickup by "tapping" the pickup winding somewhere in the middle rather than at the end, reuducing the number of active windings and lowering the output of the pickup.

Coil splitting, on the other hand, turns a humbucker pickup into a pseudo-singlecoil by disabling one side of the pickup.

If you use the correct terms, you should be able to find what you're looking for. There was a 2010 SG w/ Burstbucker pickups, I believe made as a run for GC, which has this capability. It had Zebra pickups with no covers.

There's one for sale here. http://oliviasvintageguitars.com/gibson/guitars/2952/

I believe you want coil splitting, not coil tapping. Many people use these terms incorrectly. Coil tapping refers almost exclusively to single coil pickups, a coil tap effectively reduces the output of the pickup by "tapping" the pickup winding somewhere in the middle rather than at the end, reuducing the number of active windings and lowering the output of the pickup.

Coil splitting, on the other hand, turns a humbucker pickup into a pseudo-singlecoil by disabling one side of the pickup.

If you use the correct terms, you should be able to find what you're looking for. There was a 2010 SG w/ Burstbucker pickups, I believe made as a run for GC, which has this capability. It had Zebra pickups with no covers.

There's one for sale here. http://oliviasvintageguitars.com/gibson/guitars/2952/

You're absolutely right, but sometimes I resign and don't explain the same things over and over again. There are so many. What about the so-called "phase switches" which in fact are polarity switches? Why does Fender keep on changing vibrato and tremolo by mistake? When will circuit diagrams finally show the correct current direction? Questions over questions...

You can put it on your favourite SG model with minor modifications.

You just need four conductor pickups and two push-pull knobs, or mounts with

those tiny switches, there are many brands out there to choose from.

That Kirk Douglas SG looks... Strange. I mean, 3 57's? Srsly, come on!

At least if those were a mix of burstbuckers or other sort of mix...

As to be honest, if you really like single coil pickups I would either look

for a P-90 equipped SG or go for another kind of guitar.

Gibsons are all about real beefy sounds.

Capmaster: I like when I read people saying that gibbies are verrrry complicated

to work with/modify.

Capmaster: I like when I read people saying that gibbies are verrrry complicated

to work with/modify.

When it is about SGs or L6Ses, there is darn little space left for push/pull pot switches. To use mini switches like Frank Zappa did requires drilling holes. I am already reluctant with that when it goes about pickguards ;)

to work with/modify.

I'll let you know, how "Strange" the Kirk Douglas SG Custom is, when mine

arrives (allegedly), at the end of this month. [biggrin]

CB

• 2 months later...

Archived