Gibson Brands Forums

NGD in the Heart of Dixie

jdd707

Or a story of the dangers of wandering into a 5 Star Dealer. So off to Bailey Brothers yesterday for my bi-monthly visit, this time with the intention of considering placement of an undersaddle PU for one of my "good" Gibbies (AJ/J50TV/L00TV). So I talked to Keith about same and drilling one of these just didn't set well with me. Certainly a new instrument with factory Baggs was an option, right? Then Keith says "wait a minute" and goes away. He came back with a used J35. Previous owner played it 6 weeks and decided he needed a small body and traded it in. Well, I'd played several and, while impressed, I thought they were a light bright for my taste. But, upon playing this one with broken-in strings (12s) I knew this was the answer to my PU issue. Well then the price ..... used price .... I couldn't pass it up. Out the door price was $200 less than I paid for my '92 AJ used way back in '95. WAY less than a new one!

So another story of "gee dear I didn't mean to buy it but I just had to"? Not really since I've had just bought Ms. JDD as new dulcimer that cost more than the J35 .... and a new SUV in which to haul all her instruments and related stuff. Good timing on my part. I figure I have good new guitar cred for at least the next year!

Now 24 hours later I count myself among those who sing the praises of the new J35s. It sounds as good as any (not played in)hog/slope Gibson I've played.

No pix since it looks just like all those others already posted here. Life is good!

Archived