Gibson Brands Forums

62 RI Sorrento

rct

I need some hollerbody in the studio. I will Not give our hosts what they want for one, I have decided. The Sorrento looks like it would do me. Would some owners convince me I am right, please? Thanks.

rct

I believe the Sorrento I am fortunate enough to own is one of the best feeling and easiest guitars to play (I do like the cut away, makes it easy to play those high notes)that I've ever played, and I have played 100's of them (electric guitars)some very expensive ones, some that were given to me..the entire spectrum, over the years. Can't give it high enough praise, they did a great job on the one I got. It came with a small foam rubber cushion under the bridge, to protect the top from scratching. I was going to remove it, but decided against it, just left it "as is", because the action was just right, it sounds great, didn't have to adjust the pickup height. Just a very nice guitar (I got a Royal Olive one, looks as good as it sounds, just beautiful))

I believe the Sorrento I am fortunate enough to own is one of the best feeling and easiest guitars to play (I do like the cut away, makes it easy to play those high notes)that I've ever played, and I have played 100's of them (electric guitars)some very expensive ones, some that were given to me..the entire spectrum, over the years. Can't give it high enough praise, they did a great job on the one I got. It came with a small foam rubber cushion under the bridge, to protect the top from scratching. I was going to remove it, but decided against it, just left it "as is", because the action was just right, it sounds great, didn't have to adjust the pickup height. Just a very nice guitar (I got a Royal Olive one, looks as good as it sounds, just beautiful))

Thank You! How do you use it? er...what do you do with it? Out or home, record, an amp or two you use maybe?

rct

I am retired, live in a small city. There are a few parks close by. I have packed up a portable amp and mp3 player, made my way to the park on nice days (the park is in city center, near 2 court houses). I play along to some jazz/fusion/blues backing tracks in key. People (lawyers, defendants, court house workers, passers by) seem to like it, and I make a few bucks to support my gas. I also have a few students, friends of my adult children, who come here for a lesson and to play and practice, it's fun. With the cold weather coming, I will do some recording. A friend wants to make a CD of some Xmas tunes for family and friends. I'm not in a band now, just a solo performer. The guitar works quite well for that (busking)..well, it does for me. It isn't a shred/metal guitar. I do play along to jazz fusion backing tracks too, works well, controlled feedback, nice harmonics..It is a fine instrument. If I don't enjoy playing a certain guitars, I get rid of it/them for something else. I don't believe I will be getting rid of this one. I use a Fender Passport mini amp, connected to a small lap top. It works great. Now, I need a power inverter dc to ac battery thing, to plug in the small, non battery powered amps I have and would use if they were "portable" and ran on batteries. I'm not an accomplished player, just someone who enjoys simple guitar playing. This particular guitar suits my needs to a tee.

I have 62 RI Sorrento in Royal Olive. Its a fine sounding and playing guitar. The Gibby minihums are sensational. I gave mine a fret level and restrung with 11s. it has a low action and great tone. i use it for Jazz playing mostly, but also for rock/blues Jams with friends. Mostly I play it through a Mustang III, but have also used it with my 5E8-A clone and other valve amps. I'm very happy with it.

Mine is fantastic as well. It came fully ready to play, the high quality electronics really shine, the mini-humbuckers sounds terrific, albeit seem quieter to my ears than my other hollowbody guitars, 1 with p-90s and another with full-size humbuckers. The neck is set at the 15ht fret, which with only the lower cutout body style, causes me difficulty in reaching the higher registers on some songs I play.

With the hsc, quality cts pots, tuners, pickups, superb fit&finish and playability right out of the box, I think the 62 reissue outfit is a big value guitar.

Archived