Gibson Brands Forums

Circuit boost

Zeppeholic

What exactly is circuit boost on the LP Traditional Pro 2? I know there are circuit boards in the new guitars (which I don't mind that much as long as they're not in the V.O.S)

Any clarification would be nice

never handled one, but many circuit boosts are just "built in" pre-amps.

Yeah, this is an onboard preamp, with a battery compartment in the back. Played one, it's nice, but tbh, I prefer a Paul to be without added trickery, they sound best in simple form.

+1

There are several sensible reasons for that. High output voltages from guitars tend to overdrive subsequent gear like FX and their A/D convertors, or valve/tube amp input stages. The latter tend to sound harsh when pushed until occurrence of grid current. This will produce very hard-clipping even-order harmonics, sometimes referred to as motorboating.

What exactly is circuit boost on the LP Traditional Pro 2? I know there are circuit boards in the new guitars (which I don't mind that much as long as they're not in the V.O.S)

Any clarification would be nice

Actually, those circuit boards seem to only be in some of the least expensive model SG's and some other models, not in all Gibson USA models.

Actually, those circuit boards seem to only be in some of the least expensive model SG's and some other models, not in all Gibson USA models.

No circuit boards in the Trad Pro II, just a bunch of pot switches.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=643594092347668&set=a.628664527173958.1073741829.100000912503534&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=643594532347624&set=a.628664527173958.1073741829.100000912503534&type=3&theater

The Standard 2012 models do have circuit boards and quick-connect pickups, too.

Their very advantage over point-to-point wiring in unshielded electric compartments is operation free of clicks and pops when wearing dry clothing in a dry environment. By the way, the metal mounting plate used in the Traditional models provides virtually noise-free operation, too.

The Standard 2012 models do have circuit boards and quick-connect pickups, too.

Their very advantage over point-to-point wiring in unshielded electric compartments is operation free of clicks and pops when wearing dry clothing in a dry environment. By the way, the metal mounting plate used in the Traditional models provides virtually noise-free operation, too.

I recently bought a couple of SG's, a flying V, and a Les Paul traditional. None of them have circuit boards in them and I believe only the traditional has the metal plate in it.

Think they use printed circuit boards after having calculated it would be cheaper. So the Les Paul Standard 2012 - I didn't explicitely write Les Paul in my previous post since this is the Les Paul subforum - seemed to be cheaper to them with a circuit board assumably. It is the only passive instrument of mine that has a PCB stock.

Of course, all of my seven piezo-equipped guitars with active circuits including the Gibson USA SG Supra came with a PCB. [biggrin]

Archived