Gibson Brands Forums

Some Guitar Buying Questions For Toby Walker

BluesKing777

I was thinking the other day that we should ask you a number of questions - while we have an accomplished musician and teacher on the forum. My first question/s would be: "How did you decide on buying the '44 Gibson LG2 Banner (apart from reading JT's book) in a 'guitarly' manner?" By that I mean from a performer and teacher's point of view....... do you teach with a similar guitar at actual lessons? Would you take the Banner Gibson on the road? That sort of thing.... guitar lover things.....so, what goes through your head when you are buying a vintage guitar....

For example, I see and buy a guitar and evaluate it's use to me as the months and years go buy the best way I can. Over the last few years, I have read a lot of stuff on this and other forums that has been a big help in narrowing down the choices, especially if the guitar is on Ebay, or an online Guitar shop, and I can't get to try it. I have made some strange picks! My first 'good' Gibson was my Blues King, hence my moniker.....but my last buy was a c.37 Gibson L-0 with all the finish and logo stripped. I would not have touched this guitar with a ten foot pole once, but I am really pleased with it after a few tweaks from my local luthier.

Feel free to ramble on, Toby! Start with your first guitar if you like....

BluesKing777.

• 1 month later...

Hi BluesKing,

I decided on buying that Banner specifically after reading John's book. As a lover of acoustic guitars and being a bit of a history buff this guitar seemed to make the most sense. I also trusted in the dealer that I purchased it from... Benn from vintagelicks.

Would I bring it out to gigs? The answer is very rarely. I have plenty of other guitars to use as 'tools' but this particular one I consider an important part of our history and therefore I'd like to keep it in the shape I found it in. The road can be pretty devastating on instruments. However, I have used it in the studio on my last CD and the results were stunning.

I have also used the guitar to teach with much to the joy of my students... especially the ones that come to my studio. At home I play it fairly often... and there's nothing like sticking your nose in that sound hole and breathing in the aroma of vintage wood! [rolleyes]

Hi BluesKing,

I decided on buying that Banner specifically after reading John's book. As a lover of acoustic guitars and being a bit of a history buff this guitar seemed to make the most sense. I also trusted in the dealer that I purchased it from... Benn from vintagelicks.

Would I bring it out to gigs? The answer is very rarely. I have plenty of other guitars to use as 'tools' but this particular one I consider an important part of our history and therefore I'd like to keep it in the shape I found it in. The road can be pretty devastating on instruments. However, I have used it in the studio on my last CD and the results were stunning.

I have also used the guitar to teach with much to the joy of my students... especially the ones that come to my studio. At home I play it fairly often... and there's nothing like sticking your nose in that sound hole and breathing in the aroma of vintage wood! [rolleyes]

Thanks for the reply, Toby.

Yes, JT's book is very dangerous....

Your students are lucky to hear you in the flesh at your lessons - I have most of your lessons and working our way through. I have had a bit of a lesson download spree. Thanks for those and keep them coming! Great stuff!

BluesKing777.

Lawdy Toby, that L-0 of yours coming up for grabs is not something I needed to see. I have not stumbled across anything that even piqued my interest a little so had been relatively GAS free for quite a while.

I agree that the history of the Banners is something that imparts something special to them and makes them stand out from every other Gibson ever made. The fact that mine started out life as a J-50 but after one half of the top was flipped by somebody who did not know how the two halves were supposed to go together and then somewhere down the line it acquired a burst to hide the screw up just endears the guitar to me more.

Lawdy Toby, that L-0 of yours coming up for grabs is not something I needed to see. I have not stumbled across anything that even piqued my interest a little so had been relatively GAS free for quite a while.

I agree that the history of the Banners is something that imparts something special to them and makes them stand out from every other Gibson ever made. The fact that mine started out life as a J-50 but after one half of the top was flipped by somebody who did not know how the two halves were supposed to go together and then somewhere down the line it acquired a burst to hide the screw up just endears the guitar to me more.

Hey Zomby,

Yeah, I know. Trust me, I know. [rolleyes]

Thanks for the reply, Toby.

Yes, JT's book is very dangerous....

Your students are lucky to hear you in the flesh at your lessons - I have most of your lessons and working our way through. I have had a bit of a lesson download spree. Thanks for those and keep them coming! Great stuff!

BluesKing777.

Thanks for those kind words amigo. Believe it or not I feel pretty lucky myself. [biggrin]

Archived