Gibson Brands Forums

Know your Gibsons

Tarrr

1935 Fascinator... built by Gibson for the Tonk Brothers in Chicago

+1, though I'd guess a 4970 rather than the 4980 shown in the catalog illustration you posted. Those inlays are unique to the Fascinator, AFAIK -- tho', with Gibson, it's always possible they showed up on some other roughly equivalent model. Were there brand markings to confirm this prior to sanding?

-- Bob R

rar... definately not the swanky 4980 in the pic, from the time when Cole Porter was writing about how people made fun of those who still driving jitneys, anything goes for the 4970. No markings that I could find or serial#.

I bought an old LG3 from a guy who threw this in as part of the deal. I have small expectations but the mahog back/side and adi top lured me into giving it a try. It has many issues beyond the rat chew around the f-hole.... broken braces, split mahog etc. Since retiring, I've enjoyed restoring a few oldies but this one may end up as an ornamental (antique) on the wall. If I can make it playable would be great, got a new bridge & tail piece from Stewmac... who knows where its going. After the first sanding, the wood encouraged me to go on. The rat hole is good, I can get inside the body to repair the braces and cracked mahog.

This is the before:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ya1y2xt6vtb1unp/Fascinator%20collage%20frontback1.jpg

Archived