Gibson Brands Forums

An Awesome Feeling

GotTheSilver

I just had a great experience and wanted to share with my forum brothers and sisters. I have been playing guitar for quite a few years, but have never really been very good at soloing. It has always tended to sound like just running up and down scales without being musical. I always had a hard time getting the sound in my head to come out on the guitar and hitting the right notes at the right time.

I mainly play blues and my main guitar hero is B.B. King. Over the last several months, I have been focusing on my soloing - learning my scales better, learning how to use target notes, learning solos by BB and others. I have been noticing over the last few weeks that my soloing has started to change and take on more fluidity and musicality, though still not there yet.

This morning I picked up my J-45 and just started wailing! All of a sudden, it seemed like everything I have been working on just clicked! I was improvising a solo that actually sounded good and very expressive. It was like my mind, fingers and guitar were one! What I was hearing in my head was just pouring out through the guitar, and I started to feel kind of like I was floating. I wasn't thinking about it anymore, it was just happening. What an awesome feeling! This went on for several minutes non-stop.

I think my soloing has reached a breakthrough.

Ahhh... It was an exhilarating feeling and I just had to share! I'm sure others have had this moment before. Please share your breakthrough moment experiences!

Yeah. Love pentatonic scales and 12 bar blues. BB too.

I had a similar feeling a while back when I realized I could play I VIm7 IIm7 V7 (and variations of that) * at various positions on the neck and at the same time freely improvise melodies on the treble strings. It's one of those core harmonic movements.

* For example: Cmaj7 Am7 Dm7 G7 (Em9 A13 Dm9 G13 etc)

Charlie Parker once said something to the effect that you practice and practice and then practice more and really learn your instrument. Then you get on a stage and forget all that and just wail.

When I am in the "zone" - those times when my fingers do things I did not know they could do - it always seems like my brain is shut off and there is really no thinking going on at all.

I just had a great experience and wanted to share with my forum brothers and sisters. I have been playing guitar for quite a few years, but have never really been very good at soloing. It has always tended to sound like just running up and down scales without being musical. I always had a hard time getting the sound in my head to come out on the guitar and hitting the right notes at the right time.

I mainly play blues and my main guitar hero is B.B. King. Over the last several months, I have been focusing on my soloing - learning my scales better, learning how to use target notes, learning solos by BB and others. I have been noticing over the last few weeks that my soloing has started to change and take on more fluidity and musicality, though still not there yet.

This morning I picked up my J-45 and just started wailing! All of a sudden, it seemed like everything I have been working on just clicked! I was improvising a solo that actually sounded good and very expressive. It was like my mind, fingers and guitar were one! What I was hearing in my head was just pouring out through the guitar, and I started to feel kind of like I was floating. I wasn't thinking about it anymore, it was just happening. What an awesome feeling! This went on for several minutes non-stop.

I think my soloing has reached a breakthrough.

Ahhh... It was an exhilarating feeling and I just had to share! I'm sure others have had this moment before. Please share your breakthrough moment experiences!

Congrats GTS!

It is great to experience something like that after doing all the groundwork, but it is hard to replicate.

So I hope you got the performance on video or sound file!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or we have to take your word on it. Hee Hee Hee.

BluesKing777.

Congrats GTS!

It is great to experience something like that after doing all the groundwork, but it is hard to replicate.

So I hope you got the performance on video or sound file!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or we have to take your word on it. Hee Hee Hee.

BluesKing777.

Sorry for the very delayed response. This has been a killer week at work and I have gotten very little sleep, let alone been able to read silly little things like guitar forums!

Unfortunately, you are going to have to take my word for it! It was a very spontaneous thing. Half way through, I was wishing the recorder was going, but I did not want to break the mojo by stopping to set up the recorder! I will see if I can get something recorded this weekend, and hopefully it will have the mojo!

Archived