Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Guitar Parts

Sitedrifter

Does Gibson sell parts for their acoustic guitars specifically the ones listed below?

1. Nuts

2. Saddles

3. Bridge Pins

4. Tuners

5. pick guards

6. truss rod cover screws

I see fancier versions of their models that come adorned with bone nuts and saddles as well as bone pins, ebony pins and pins with abalone or black dots. I like to add a little bling and/or higher quality parts when I can and it would be nice if Gibson offered these parts.

I dont believe they do... It's a double edged sword, the fact that they dont probably makes it easier to spot the fakes out there... but it makes it harder for the person looking for parts, I'm sure there might be an avenue if you go via a registered Gibson dealer and all that but I would aslo assume that's more about repair than up-blinging an existing model. Even getting a scratchplate from Gibson is a nightmare and costly....

The bright side of them not doing it is you wont be massively overcharged for parts... Last time this subject came up it was around 300 for a TV pickguard... ludicrously expensive and anyone remotely claiming it's not is straight out fibbing...

There are plenty of high-quality aftermarket sources for these parts, so don't be too concerned. There are many sources for nuts, saddles, and pins of various materials. Bob Colosi (guitarsaddles.com) is one source popular with many here.

Tuners and other parts are best sourced from someone like Stewmac.com, or directly from various manufacturers' sites.

Pickguards of the non-engraved and non-painted types are also available from a number of online sources in a number of materials. Some of these sites have pickguard patterns online that you can use for confirmation of what you want, or to cut your own from sheet material. The fancier pickguards such as the Dove, Hummingbird, and others are only available directly from Gibson I believe, and you may have to go through an authorized dealer to get them.

I found a place that sells gold truss rod cover screws so that task is done. I also emailed Gibson CS to see about upgraded bridge pins.

I'm not having a go here sitedrifter , but why don't you get replacement pins from one of the dozens , if not hundreds , of retailers who sell pins in all manner of shapes /sizes and materials ?

I'm not having a go here sitedrifter , but why don't you get replacement pins from one of the dozens , if not hundreds , of retailers who sell pins in all manner of shapes /sizes and materials ?

I'm in agreement with BBG here, from the 3rd party retailers you could choose genuine 'upgrades', I can't really see what Gibson can offer you here, even the top end bling-bling jobs often come with a lot of standardised parts and anything special on the real top end of the top end stuff is unlikely to be offered aftermarket as it would be one of the 'features' of their top shelf line.

I think you'll get a lot more for your money by looking elsewhere... and lets be honest a guitar modded from original is a modded guitar be it Gibson parts or 3rd party.

I came from the world of Taylor and Yamaha and I am used to good support from the manufacturer for parts. [thumbup] And to top that, Taylor prices for their parts are super reasonable and most times beat the 3rd party vendors. I am not just into adding more bling but looking for replacement screws for the truss rod cover (or a replacement truss rod cover for that matter) and it should not be a chore from hell. I like to keep things OEM as much as possible whether is was original equipment for my particular guitar or not, at least it is Gibson.

I guess I have to get used to how (or how not) Gibson does things. <_<

I came from the world of Taylor and Yamaha and I am used to good support from the manufacturer for parts. [thumbup] And to top that, Taylor prices for their parts are super reasonable and most times beat the 3rd party vendors. I am not just into adding more bling but looking for replacement screws for the truss rod cover (or a replacement truss rod cover for that matter) and it should not be a chore from hell. I like to keep things OEM as much as possible whether is was original equipment for my particular guitar or not, at least it is Gibson.

I guess I have to get used to how (or how not) Gibson does things. dry.gif

Thing is, it's a smaller operation than Taylor (or Martin for that fact) so they don't have quite the same aftermarket services range. It's not impossible to get OEM parts which are generic, I'm sure a Gibson dealer could help you out. For the 'special' stuff, it might be a lot tougher.

Archived