Gibson Brands Forums

AJ220S-VS Tone

Larry Harris

Greetings,

I just wanted to post a quick note regarding my AJ220S-VS. I noticed that the tone has gotten really sweet and mellow now that I put some Martin light gauge strings on it. I have it tuned to DADGAE at the moment and it really sounds great. Sure I would love an J35 or J45 but for my needs this guitar is great. I had a few hiccups with Guitar Center but they made it right and I got one that didn't have box damage.

For the price point an excellent value.

Cheers,

Larry Harris

I have the cutaway version in AE.

Nice guitar that's quite versatile.

I hope you got a case for it too.

These instruments will offer a very wide range of tone depending on how you play it, and what type of strings. I like the necks too - but they can be more sensitive to temperature/humidity changes than one might otherwise imagine, at least when new.

m

Hi Larry, like Milod, I also have the Epi 220S in cut away. He's right it's a fine guitar! It has exceptional tone and the action is sweet. Congratulations at buying a great guitar at a great price! I was so impressed with the 220 that I decided to invest in some Epi Masterbilts. Epiphone makes a fine guitar! He is also right about humidity. Solid tops require a case and humidity control in some form, but you probably know this! Good luck with it!

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

I just wanted to post a quick note regarding my AJ220S-VS. I noticed that the tone has gotten really sweet and mellow now that I put some Martin light gauge strings on it. I have it tuned to DADGAE at the moment and it really sounds great. Sure I would love an J35 or J45 but for my needs this guitar is great. I had a few hiccups with Guitar Center but they made it right and I got one that didn't have box damage.

For the price point an excellent value.

Cheers,

Larry Harris

Hi

I'm new to this site and saw this post re the AJ-220. I bought one just last week from Electro Music in Doncaster UK

I had just popped in to see what was on offer as I passed (as is my wont) and spotted the Epi. I have lusted after a round shouldered dread for some time (the shape is so cool). Anyway I digress. There it was hanging on the wall so I just had to try it. By the way it is priced at £119 in the UK. It was perfect. It felt just right. The neck. the size, the action and the tone. I did a double take at the price tag and reached for my wallet. I did ask just one question "Do you have a sunburst?". "Sorry, no" came the reply "only in the cutaway version". Well I had to settle for the natural look. But who cares it's a steal!! I have to admit that I have done a few mods. Changed the strings to 12s (although I don't know what was on it new, they felt more like 11s) I also changed the scratch-plate for a more J45 type and (I know this may sound bad) I reduced the length of the head stock and shaped it more like a Gibson (I left the Epi logo on it, I don't want to make out it is not what it is) I just feel that the Epiphone heads are way too long. All in all I think I have a real bargain guitar. I have played and owned Martins, a Taylor, Sigmas, a Crafter, Godin and Loar archtops amongst other guitars over the past 25 years or so. This guitar is the only one, apart from the Loar and the Crafter, that I have not had to adjust the action on. The Epiphone AJ-220 is a hidden gem and I am so glad I found it that fateful day

Getting one adjusted correctly in the U.K. - let alone in the U.S. - probably had a store mechanic doing some work. My first one "mail order" was incredibly out of adjustment. The purveyor (Sweetwater) did an excellent job on the return although even the second one I received did need some slight neck adjustment.

Which doesn't mean that either the guitar nor the purveyor were "bad" in the first instance.

I'm convinced that transportation and climate is the difficulty for guitars. An hour and a half away from where I live, there is a guitar store. Several Epis just out of the box were in the same situation - one worse - and there's no way that any guitar would leave the factory with tuned strings lying flat on the frets. OTOH, we're in a very, very dry climate compared to much of the U.S. as well as being at an altitude roughly that of the highest point anywhere in England. (A few miles away higher altitude than Scotland, too.)

They're quite nice guitars at any price and as noted, exceptional at the price point.

m

Hi

I'm new to this site and saw this post re the AJ-220. I bought one just last week from Electro Music in Doncaster UK

I had just popped in to see what was on offer as I passed (as is my wont) and spotted the Epi. I have lusted after a round shouldered dread for some time (the shape is so cool). Anyway I digress. There it was hanging on the wall so I just had to try it. By the way it is priced at £119 in the UK. It was perfect. It felt just right. The neck. the size, the action and the tone. I did a double take at the price tag and reached for my wallet. I did ask just one question "Do you have a sunburst?". "Sorry, no" came the reply "only in the cutaway version". Well I had to settle for the natural look. But who cares it's a steal!! I have to admit that I have done a few mods. Changed the strings to 12s (although I don't know what was on it new, they felt more like 11s) I also changed the scratch-plate for a more J45 type and (I know this may sound bad) I reduced the length of the head stock and shaped it more like a Gibson (I left the Epi logo on it, I don't want to make out it is not what it is) I just feel that the Epiphone heads are way too long. All in all I think I have a real bargain guitar. I have played and owned Martins, a Taylor, Sigmas, a Crafter, Godin and Loar archtops amongst other guitars over the past 25 years or so. This guitar is the only one, apart from the Loar and the Crafter, that I have not had to adjust the action on. The Epiphone AJ-220 is a hidden gem and I am so glad I found it that fateful day

Sounds like the post of a fellow Weller nut? Looking for the sunburst and changing the scratchplate. i had an AJ200 whihch was very similat to teh AJ220 - think the neck was the only difference (lacquered on mine. After a couple of years the sound was amazing and not unlike Weller's 70s J45...to my ears anyway! Definitely a great guitar for £120 - I have a Lennon EJ160e now but would get another AJ220in a heartbeat.

Sounds like the post of a fellow Weller nut? Looking for the sunburst and changing the scratchplate. i had an AJ200 whihch was very similat to teh AJ220 - think the neck was the only difference (lacquered on mine. After a couple of years the sound was amazing and not unlike Weller's 70s J45...to my ears anyway! Definitely a great guitar for £120 - I have a Lennon EJ160e now but would get another AJ220in a heartbeat.

I do hope that this AJ 220 sounds close to a Gibson in two years - what a bargain it would be!! Isn't Weller's J45 a square shouldered?

Mick

I have the cutaway version in AE.

Nice guitar that's quite versatile.

I hope you got a case for it too.

These instruments will offer a very wide range of tone depending on how you play it, and what type of strings. I like the necks too - but they can be more sensitive to temperature/humidity changes than one might otherwise imagine, at least when new.

m

I have a nice soft case and keep the guitar humidified. The neck is fairly easy to adjust. Using Martin strings at the moment.

Cheers Larry

Hi

Interesting. I am really settled on my Epiphone and my Alvarez guitars. I just got an AD66SB by Alvarez and quite nice. I am really getting into the Epiphone a lot as it is close to the Gibson J series in shape and design but not the price. I did not go into the store looking for this guitar but I traded in three guitars and ended up with this one but had to go through two that were store damaged until I got one without any defects. All is good now. Cheers, Larry

Hi

Like I said this guitar is amazing for the money. I hope Epiphone comes out with more like the AJ-220S.

• 2 weeks later...

This may open a can of worms - but anyway here goes. As I've said previously I think the AJ 220 is a wonderful guitar for the price. I still pick it up and say to myself "120 quid! Unbelievable!!" Anyway I thought as it didn't cost a great deal I would treat it to some good bridge pins - just to see how it changed/improved the tone. I have never changed any bridge pins on any guitar I owned (and there have been a few) I have always stuck with the ones they came with - mostly some sort of plastic but sometimes really good plastic!!! I bought a set of ebony pins and put them in/on today. I have to admit after a few hours playing - I cannot hear any difference. No better bass, no better mids, no better top-end, no better sustain, no better volume, no better feel - nothing that I can hear. I am sorry to say I have come to the conclusion that it is a case of the "emperor's new clothes". I am sure I have a decent ear for a guitar - I can clearly hear the difference between a Martin OM, a Sigma OM, a Martin 00X1, a Crafter American Classic Jumbo, a Loar archtop, etc etc. But for the life of me I cannot tell any differenc between this AJ 220 with the factory pins and the ebony.

That is why I don't change the pins on a nice sounding guitar, it doesn't make any difference IMO. The first part of the guitar at the bridge end that transfers the vibrations is the saddle before it even gets to the pins and the nut at the other end. I have tuned guitars with a new buffalo bone saddle and nut and this made a definite difference but the pins don't seem to. Maybe to an highly trained ear such as a concert guitarist and vastly experienced picker it might but not to the likes of you and I.

I have a AJ220 The pins are plastic,A soldering iron want melt the bridge or nut so they aren't plastic.I just got it the sound is good ,I don't think the neck is to good.But for $175 its worth it.

I believe Epi are using simulated bone not actual bone. This is a composite material of ceramic mixed with a durable plastic that doesn't melt when you file or shape it. Many manufacturers are now using this material on the mid to high range guitars but the really high end stuff such as some of the Gibson's, Taylor's and Martins are using real bone because it offers greater properties. I once tuned a £20 guitar of my sons with a buffalo bone saddle and nut together with some nice D'darrio strings and boy did that change that cheapo, I also worked on the machine heads which helped. My Aj220 sounds too nice to be playing with and i'd hate to spoil the sound it makes.

• 3 weeks later...

The AJ-200S is the BEST sounding, playable and value in Epiphone's acoustic line. No other $200 acoustic in the market place can match it. (PERIOD) Great job Epiphone!!

(IMO) Faded....

I'll second that! It's a mystery how they've achieved this. You know you got something special when you pick it up and play a few chords and you just get a massive grin on your face.

• 2 months later...

Archived