Gibson Brands Forums

DADGAD tuning and tunes

BluesKing777

I blow hot and cold on DADGAD tuning - I get so far and then fall in a hole of all the tunes sounding the same.

A cure for this is the incredible Al Petteway dvds - instead of the Gaelicy misty moors and so, this dvd is 'Applachian Fingerstyle':

http://www.homespuntapes.com/Instructors/al-petteway/appalachian-fingerstyle-guitar-in-dadgad-tuning

But this other one he has is on how to extract some blues arrangements out of the DADGAD - fantastic! So we can keep playing in the tuning, but give a bit of variety by playing some blues.

http://www.homespuntapes.com/Instructors/al-petteway/blues-guitar-arrangements-in-dadgad-tuning

These are worth having even if you just watch and listen, and hope something of his beautiful fingerstyle playing rubs off on you! Really enjoyable.

The weirdest thing for me is that I am using my Blues King strung with medium MBs in DADGAD but tuned down 2 steps (CGCFGC)and it sounds great.....who knew?

BluesKing777.

Good stuff.

What's there not to like about a stringed instrument that when you alter the G string by a semi tone going from DADFAD to DADF#AD TO DADGAD you get a quiet different feel to music that tends to revolve around each tuning.

Here's an old folkie I've always liked -Roy Harper. He does a few in DADGAD but veering from celtic to folky bluesey.This is a DADGAD one.

I have the Appalachian Fingerstyle book as well as one of his Celtic books-

http://www.homespuntapes.com/Instruments/Guitar/celtic-instrumentals-for-fingerstyle-guitar-dvd-1

His arrangements sound great and are extremely playable. I have a couple of other books of Celtic music but the arrangements don't even come close to what he provides.

I find it difficult to find good fingerstyle arrangements in any tuning. They seem to be few and far between.

I have the Appalachian Fingerstyle book as well as one of his Celtic books-

http://www.homespuntapes.com/Instruments/Guitar/celtic-instrumentals-for-fingerstyle-guitar-dvd-1

His arrangements sound great and are extremely playable. I have a couple of other books of Celtic music but the arrangements don't even come close to what he provides.

I find it difficult to find good fingerstyle arrangements in any tuning. They seem to be few and far between.

I was considering getting those Celtic ones next....

I downloaded the last few lessons I bought, and while it is quick to get it in my hot little hands, I think I prefer having a dvd in a player on the tv instead of computer...

BluesKing777.

Ha Ha!

I just changed my mind and ordered the download version!

BluesKing777.

Another update for ya's....

I have already watched a bit of the first vid - just incredible tech this downloading lesson stuff, really.

You get a bit more cunning as you go along - I like to have the paperwork printed out for a folder, but this time instead of sitting by my home printer for hours, which is a real creativity killer if nothing else,I have emailed the pdf files to The Better Half at her work to print on their ZipStar 480 Super Printer or whatever it is....(Don't forget to collate them!).

On the Celtic lessons, Al P is about 25 years younger than he is in the newer lessons.

All fun and good, and no waiting for the delivery driver nutcase.....

BluesKing777.

That is a nice post.

Though I like open-tunings (been messing with open d-minor lateley), I never tried this one. I had a very interesting evening with my guitar after reading the post and watching the vids.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply - I am really glad I have spread a little bit of the fun and joy of it all - I have been having a real lot of fun with it...

BluesKing777.

Archived