Gibson Brands Forums

Does me SJ need a neck reset already?

Kylef

I view neck resets like replacing the #3 cylinder in a VW Bus, it is inevitable.

It is my understanding that Gibson's warranty does not cover neck resets unless the problem is a result of a manufacturing defect.

Interesting to know if that's true since there was a thread on here recently where a poster was bummed about his Martin D28 needing a neck reset and some commented how newer Martins need neck resets more often and how it's unacceptable. At least Martin covers these neck resets under warranty.

1384605424[/url]' post='1450116']

Don't bother with the salt test to calibrate your hygrometer because you are calibrating it at 75% humidity. Your unit at a lower humidity level could still be off (mine were.) Best bet is to use the Boveda 49% humidipak. This will give you 49% RH in a small closed container and is the best bet to calibrate your hygrometer. [thumbup]

+ 1 with the Humidipak I have used them for the last six months , with good results

Weirdest thing...so I had a gig last night, so I decided to restring the guitar a during the day yesterday.

I used to use 11's when I first got the guitar, but when I had a studio session booked in earlier this year, I switched to 12's to get that big jumbo sound. It wasn't long after this it developed a high action, but I know this could have been partly down to the humidity in the summer.

Sometimes I play 3 hour acoustic sets on my own, and I have found myself reaching for my backup epiphone rather than my gibson, as the Epiphone has 11's and the Gibsons 12's would give me sore fingers eventually.

So I decided instead of using the 12's, I got myself a couple of sets of Gibson masterbuilt 11's again like I used to use. Well the action has dropped about a couple of mm's or so. Once the 11's were on, I adjusted the truss rod to suit, and it feels and looks a lot better than it did. I'm guessing the tension between the 12's and 11's has let the neck relax a bit.

I'm not saying the guitars rid of its problems, but the action as it is can't really go any lower otherwise it will be touching my LR Baggs M1A's polo pieces when I use it, so I'm fairly happy with it now. What a difference in sound aswell.

I'm going to get a dehumidifier to keep a steady 45-55% humidity in the room and leave the guitar out in the room! and we'll see how it goes from there.

So you are saying you bought a southern jumbo 2 years ago that can't take lights strings? It sounds very strange.

You just need a truss rod adjustment and maybe one more after 2 days when you go up or down in gauges.

High humidity is less dangerous than low humidity, and below 57% isn't a threat for the guitar and wouldn't have more consequence than a slightly dull sound.

Otherwise somethin' isn't right!

High humidity is less dangerous than low humidity, and below 57% isn't a threat for the guitar and wouldn't have more consequence than a slightly dull sound.

Otherwise somethin' isn't right!

Absolutely disagree. Have you ever seen a guitar that was over humidified. A swollen neck block is usually a telltale sign and mimics the need for a neck reset.

3 year old thread anyway, just weighing in.

Absolutely disagree. Have you ever seen a guitar that was over humidified. A swollen neck block is usually a telltale sign and mimics the need for a neck reset.

3 year old thread anyway, just weighing in.

Was just going to say

This thread is three years old!!!!

Still super interesting though. :)

I was going to say, can't the truss rod be adjusted? I agree it must have been over-humidification. I do think it would had to have been higher than 57%, though, and for a long period of time... And if it's a humid environment, keeping it in the case isn't going to do any good. It'll be just as humid in the case (or just as dry in the case).

I've generally found guitars to be pretty hardy, happy even at 35% humidity and even at 60%, but then again, I don't prolong the exposure and generally it's a back and forth and a target of 45%... I've never had any issues, so either I take really good care, have been lucky, or guitars are hardier than we think.

I reckon this fella was living in some real high humidity with no dehumidifier. Hope he didn't overcompensate and dry it out, and I have to wonder if once it did dry out whether he was left with no saddle and buzzingly low, unplayable action.

Archived