Gibson Brands Forums

Trade for a ES-335 Dot Reissue

jbear

Well, I finally trade my 339 for a 335, and it is sweeeeeet!

It's a 2012 Memphis Dot Reissue Custom Shop and the neck is even nicer than my 339. Didn't think that I'd find a neck I liked more than that 59, but...I did. It's fat but not too fat...perfect!

Anyway, I played it through a Twin when I got it home and as much as I dig that 339...this is soooo much more comfortable for me. The balance is just perfect, plus I could never play up high on my 339 cuz my hand wouldn't fit in the cut-out. I am very happy!

I'd post pictures but...I can never get them to upload on this site. I did once...no idea why I can't anymore. Just says the file is too big...same files that used to work. Oh well...

Congrats. I tried a 339 a while back but held out for a 335 . Dont regret it at all. Very sweet guitar.

Thank you. This one is just so much easier for me to play. Not sure why but that guitar as beautiful as it was just never seemed comfortable.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to put a vintage wiring kit and a nicer bridge on this one, Everything else is just perfect,

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to put a vintage wiring kit and a nicer bridge on this one, Everything else is just perfect,

Can I ask you why you would want to start messing with anything on this ES-335? What is it about the current bridge on your 335 that you are not satisfied with out of curiosity? Why would messing with the original wiring make you a better guitarist? My historic 59 reissue 335 was absolutely gorgeous from the get go and I am just wondering why anyone would want to mess with the guitar thats all. jim in Maine

Can I ask you why you would want to start messing with anything on this ES-335? What is it about the current bridge on your 335 that you are not satisfied with out of curiosity? Why would messing with the original wiring make you a better guitarist? My historic 59 reissue 335 was absolutely gorgeous from the get go and I am just wondering why anyone would want to mess with the guitar thats all. jim in Maine

1-Cuz...I like making them just right for me. I play a lot, so...I know exactly what works for my style.

2-The bridge isn't very robust, and I don't know that I care for that.

3-I don't recall stating directly or by implication that any modification would make me a better player. I certainly didn't mean to, so whatever you inferred, I didn't mean to imply it. You have a 59 Hist. right? Does that make you a better player? Why didn't you just get a Sheraton II? It's a hell of a guitar for the price. Anyway, if you've messed around with PUP's and electronics, you figure out what you like and don't, and what sounds like what. I have an LP that has a 490/498 set in it. I hated those in other guitars in the past. This guitar had the electronics replaced with 500K pots and some PIO caps...one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played! Same PUP's that I couldn't stand. Other guitars and/or PUP's...you don't hear that drastic difference. That's where I'm at. Sorry...ended with a preposition.

Basically, I love guitars, I love playing them, and I love messing with them. Most of the time it ends up a better instrument for me.

My Grandpa's early 1900's F2 mandolin? No...I won't be messing with that. A guitar built in 2011? Hell yeah. Why not? It's nothing you can't undo anyway.

The part about trying to decide...that's what I'm doing.

You asked.

I guess my thoughts go back to a Larry Carlton seminar that Larry gave before he and I both left California he for Nashville and I for New England. Larry was into the guitar structure but more from a standpoint of playability as I remember. What I can very clearly recall was Larry taking his hands holding the left hand by the nut with the right hand by the bridge, looking at all of us and telling us 'guys everything in my world happens between these two places'................these are your guitars and you have a right to modify them to your liking so bottom line is to have fun with it! In regards to 335's I have only the one historic 59 which is it for me as that guitar does everything that I need a guitar to do which is jazz/blues...........jim in Maine

I hear you Jim. I sound like me no matter what I play, so I dig where you're coming from (and Larry knows his sh** that's for sure). I just like messing with my guitars. Some...I never change a thing, Others...everything. I will get to know this instrument and if nothing is wanting...nothing will change. I really dug the 57 Classics in the 339 and they were not muddy at all. Some other Gibsons I've changed pots and caps cuz there was mud, If I didn't have the resources to make mods, I'd be fine. I do though, and being a scientist...it's in my nature to discover and explore. It's just who I am.

This guitar sounds pretty spectacular through a Twin. I have not gotten a change to blow through the DR yet, but...maybe tomorrow. One thing for sure...it's waaaaay more comfortable to play than the 339, and my hand doesn't jam in the cutout...like I mentioned at the outset. The range of tones is crazy! I was playing Ford covers last night using a Sonic Fusion OD (Dumble tone thing) and it was awesome. Earlier in the week we were doing a Rosenwinkel-style thing and I was using an El Raton (a Rat-style pedal) and that was amazing too. Swings like a monster clean as well...All of this was through a Twin. None of this is news to the world. Just excited, so...when I'm excited...I play or write. Done playing for the night, so...

I am loving this guitar, so changes or no changes...I am having a good time!

I guess my thoughts go back to a Larry Carlton seminar that Larry gave before he and I both left California he for Nashville and I for New England. Larry was into the guitar structure but more from a standpoint of playability as I remember. What I can very clearly recall was Larry taking his hands holding the left hand by the nut with the right hand by the bridge, looking at all of us and telling us 'guys everything in my world happens between these two places'................these are your guitars and you have a right to modify them to your liking so bottom line is to have fun with it! In regards to 335's I have only the one historic 59 which is it for me as that guitar does everything that I need a guitar to do which is jazz/blues...........jim in Maine

Just curious what kind of science do you do? I'm actually a general dentist. I used to mess with my guitars but don't really do that kind of thing anymore. Was into building Heathkits when I was younger however! Whereabouts are you located out of curiosity? jim

Just curious what kind of science do you do? I'm actually a general dentist. I used to mess with my guitars but don't really do that kind of thing anymore. Was into building Heathkits when I was younger however! Whereabouts are you located out of curiosity? jim

Well...long story...I'll pare it down...

Marine Biologist...elasmobranchii...then...GC/Mass Spec environmental chemist and now...I teach middle school biology.

I'm from NY but I live in GA...but maybe someday...?????

Archived