Gibson Brands Forums

In My Life

aliasphobias

I have been fortunate to witness: civil rights, space exploration, outdoor music festivals, internet, some of the best: Hank, Johnny(JR), Janis, Kris, Willie ,LED, Jackson, Linda, Emmy, Frank, Eagles, Beatles, Stones......and I could go on.

Feel free to add your own: Gary D, Mississippi John, Howlin, & Son House sure as hell has something to do with this. James, Jeff, Danny (Adler),

Not so sure I would consider anybody fortunate in terms of being around to have seen the Eagles in their heyday.

Yeah, there was some great stuff that is certainly compensation for having gotten old. I was particularly lucky in that I fell in with and ended up working for Lee Hays (bass singer for the Weavers) which amounted to pretty much just keeping him company. No pay other than food and a place to stay if I wanted but there was always somebody like Pete Seeger, Brownie McGhee or Arlo Guthrie dropping by. Not only the sitting around playing music but the stories he would tell about Pete, Woody and Cisco.

But then there was also trying to stay one step ahead of the draft board. There was being tossed in jails charged with nonsense which I guess was evened out by getting away with those things you did do.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Brings to mine that Kris Kristofferson song though that if all you ever get is older and around, the going up was worth the coming down.

Good thread and I think Dan's song brings it all into perspective for me. Looking-back at my life I guess it's all been pretty good. Done a lot of things, played a lot of music, won and lost, learned how to lose, met some of my heroes. Still, if I hadn't met my wife, I don't know where or what I'd be. It all pales in significance when compared to family and friends. We're only here for a while. Make the most of what's important.

Archived