Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Recording II coming soon

Rabs

No photos yet but apparently available for pre-order :-k

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPRCNACH/

LTD Solidbody Electric Guitar with Mahogany Back, Top, and Neck, Rosewood Fretboard, 2 Low-Z Pickups, and Hard Case - Natural/Walnut Finish $2799.00

This Was Les Paul's Ultimate Guitar

Gibson designed the Les Paul Recording II solidbody electric guitar based on the exact specs of Les Paul's own guitar. While it wasn't accepted as readily as the Les Paul or SG models, the Les Paul Recording was actually Les Paul's favorite guitar out of all of them. This Les Paul Recording II guitar sports the same unique features like low-impedance pickups for plugging into a mixing console, and a Decade switch that gives you two distinct tonal voices. Call Sweetwater today to learn more about Les Paul's ultimate guitar - the Gibson Les Paul Recording II!

Gibson Les Paul Recording II Solidbody Electric Guitar at a Glance:

✓Low-impedance pickups for direct recording convenience

✓Incredible tonal variety with the Decade switch

✓Designed to be Les Paul's "everything" guitar

Low-impedance pickups for direct recording convenience

Les Paul paved the way for recording guitars, and his idea of the perfect instrument included low-impedance pickups that could be plugged directly into a mixing console. The Les Paul Recording II features these same unique pickups, with a low-Z/hi-Z toggle for changing the output impedance. You can connect directly to a microphone preamplifier in low-Z mode, or connect to your favorite amplifier in hi-Z mode.

Incredible tonal variety with the Decade switch

The idea behind the Les Paul Recording guitar was that Les Paul wanted every awesome guitar tone he ever created to be accessible from one guitar. So for maximum tonal variety, he designed the Decade switch. Without getting into the electronics, this switch basically altered the tone circuit to "tune" the treble harmonics. You can dial in everything from bright and biting highs to softer, subdued highs, and everything in between.

Designed to be Les Paul's "everything" guitar

By the start of the '70s, Les Paul had blazed the trails for countless guitarists. After decades of conjuring all sorts of iconic guitar tones, Les Paul still wanted more. Specifically, he wanted them all from one guitar! Thus the Recording model was born. This Les Paul Recording II is based on Les Paul's very own original Recording model, right down to the exact specs. It may have been ahead of its time, but the Les Paul Recording II faithfully reproduces one of the most unique guitars ever made.

Gibson Les Paul Recording II Solidbody Electric Guitar Features:

✓Faithful reproduction of the original Les Paul Recording model

✓Based on the specs of Les Paul's personal guitar

✓Low-impedance pickups can be plugged directly into a mixing console or microphone preamp

✓Pickups can be switched to hi-Z output for use with a guitar amplifier

✓Bigsby vibrato tailpiece for expressive playing

✓Phase reverse switch for tonal variety

✓Decade switch alters how the tone circuit effects high frequencies, from biting to smooth and subtle

✓Limited edition - only 600 available globally

✓Hard case included

Hello!

Wow! That surprised me...it never was a popular model.

Just two comments: No 3-way "Tone" switch? Hmmm. And, it should be named "Version III" if it's a new model - V.II was made between '78-'79.

I am curious how it would turn out to be.

Cheers... Bence

I'm very interested what they mean by these two lines of text;

✓Faithful reproduction of the original Les Paul Recording model

✓Based on the specs of Les Paul's personal guitar

The first of these;

Do they mean the guitar will be a reproduction of the original Les Paul Recording model or the original production Les Paul Recording model? I'm guessing the latter - which is a bit of a shame.

The second line;

Do you know how many of Les Paul's own 'Personal/Recording' model guitars were in the June 2012 auction? I've just checked. There were Twenty-four. Twenty-four!

Which of these will they choose to reproduce?

P.

Hello Pippy!

Exactly! And they all were different, and constantly modified (on weekly basis) by Mr. Paul...(stated by Lou Pallo in Gibson interview: http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/les-paul-the-recording-model-1113-2012.aspx)

By the way, if You look at the 2014 Les Paul line-up, nothing seems to be impossible (Les Paul Peace [scared], and such...)

Cheers... Bence

Exactly! And they all were different, and constantly modified (on weekly basis) by Mr. Paul...

OK; I'm late for work but this is important!....lol!

Here are, L-R, the Prototype Recording; the example of Les' which is closest to the original production Recording; the one used for 'Chester & Lester' and the one he used by far the most frequently AFAIK at the Iridium Club.

FourRecordings_zps855aebee.jpg

Which of these would The Forumites rather Gibson reproduced?

P.

Let me guess which would go into production: a hybrid of (l-r) no. 2. (as for the body shape), and no. 4. (as for the control layout).

Why do I think so?

It will come in Walnut (as no. 2.), and in Natural (as no. 4.) colors - no mention of solid or burst colors.

I think no. 4. is the most widely known instrument of Mr. Paul. But! They won't release a guitar with the Recording version I ('71-'77) larger body shape, they would rather go with the classic LP body shape - they already have the right tools for to produce.

And they won't put the no. 2 into production as it is, either. It's almost identical to Version II Recording ('78-'79). Why didn't they reissued the L6-S in period-correct form? When they had the correct L6-S headstock for the Midtown Standard. No logic is the logic sometimes at Gibson.

Cheers... Bence

Haha! I was waiting for the moment when I can post my Recording, all the time while I was reading this thread. Is there a scientifical term for the mental state when someone is obsessed with guitars? [biggrin]

Where Lesters are concerned I believe the diagnosis is 'Paulomania' : and waiting, keenly, to post pictures of Les Pauls is 'Anticipaulation'.

Happily the remedy for both ailments is simple.

Assuming you have a Les Paul...

[smile]

P.

Where Lesters are concerned I believe the diagnosis is 'Paulomania' : and waiting, keenly, to post pictures of Les Pauls is 'Anticipaulation'.

Happily the remedy for both ailments is simple.

Assuming you have a Les Paul...

[smile]

P.

Obsession....yep:( ....no naughty women dreams for me...gibsons[scared] ........''paulomania''[scared] .......i'm called paul.....I was born 1959.......I think my fate was sealed..... 's'pose the stars just aligned that way,

Funny how ''loon'' gets stuck to the end of my moniker.(perhaps not!)

Or will the model nosedive as previous LP Recordings have done?

Hello!

I am afraid: they will. I own one and love it so much. But it's not an easy instrument to deal with. I bought mine in February, and still, to this day, find new setting possibilities. Also, to use all it's got to offer, You need a lot of other equipment. It's not what most guitarists look for, most of them still prefer simplicity of the design. I hope, I will be wrong.

Cheers... Bence

• 3 weeks later...

If that's the proposed re-issue they have reconfigured the control plate somewhat.

It's a Version 1 with some of the "improvements" of the Version 2.

Interesting.

DG

Hello Dave!

Since the body shape is of Version II (just as I thought it would be), it's rather a V.2 with the "short-comings" of V.1. ;) :)

Just joking! Interesting blend of the two. It's almost V.2 except for the pickup selector is placed on the control panel - just like on the V.1.

Cheers... Bence

Some better pics:

GIB%20LPRC%20NACH1-XLarge.jpg

GIB%20LPRC%20NACH1_R-XLarge.jpg

GIB%20LPRC%20NACH1_M1-XLarge.jpg

GIB%20LPRC%20NACH1_M-XLarge.jpg

The fingerboard seems to be unbound, it has a belly cut on the rear, a volute on the neck and locking Grovers. It's not clear if it's going to have a roller bridge, too...

I'm gonna break my piggy bank...

I'm gonna break my piggy bank...

Hello!

Easy! Look at Ebay for vintage ones. You can easily spot one in great condition for half of the price of this unique creation. [thumbup]

Cheers... Bence

P.S.: Recordings used to have black binding all over the body, including the fretboard.

Archived