Gibson Brands Forums

Humidifiers

4 FINGER PETE

Is there a need for a room humidifier when you always store your acoustic back in it's case with a good humidifier such as planet waves ? I take it out for a couple of hours max when I play, that's about all. I've got a room humidifier going but I don't even think it has any effect inside a guitar case. What do you think? Thank's again for your input.

There have been a couple of good discussions on this recently here on the forum, so do a search to find out more.

Here's a good plan:

Go to YouTube and look for Taylor's discussion of the warning signs of improper humidity as it applies to guitars.

Using a humidity system inside a guitar case is a great idea. The best one out now is probably the Humidipak system because it tries to keep a guitar at a constant 48 percent relative humidity. It can supposedly add moisture as needed or remove it to keep it at a constant level. The same system (but at a much higher humidity level) is used to keep cigars at their proper humidity level (Boveda trade name, which is the parent of Humidipak). The negative is that you have to keep an eye on them and replace them as needed every few months.

Humidipak System

You'll want to get a hygrometer to keep in the case to give you an accurate reading as to the humidity levels. I recommend the one below because it's one of the few digital hygrometers that can be calibrated to ensure its accuracy. (I own three digital hygrometers that I got for $10 each at Walmart. When I checked them recently by the method below they turned out to be off by about 10 percent. Could cause problems since I can't calibrate them.)

Digital Hygrometer

In order to determine the accuracy of your hygrometer in your room use a sling psychrometer. It's a pair of thermometers (one normal, one that has a cotton wick on the bulb end that you moisten with water.) You swing it around over your head for about 90 seconds then read the two thermometers. The difference between the wet bulb and the dry one will tell you the relative humidity. They can be costly, but the one below is an inexpensive unit ($10) used for school kids. (If you want to use it every so often, the reviews say to replace the flimsy backing on the thermometers with cardboard to make it stronger.)

Inexpensive Sling Psychrometer

I purchased a real one (Bacharach) off of Ebay for about $25. They sell for about $80 if they're new.

And finally and very crude: if you drag your feet across the carpeting then touch somethig and get a shock, your humidity is too low. If you notice water droplets on you windows, it's too high.

Hope this helps.

FMA

Thank's a million FA, but I have a PLanet Waves humidipak system in my case and a good hygrometer in the cases. Do I also need to humidify my room if I never leave the instruments out of their cases after playing them ??

There have been a couple of good discussions on this recently here on the forum, so do a search to find out more.

Here's a good plan:

Go to YouTube and look for Taylor's discussion of the warning signs of improper humidity as it applies to guitars.

Using a humidity system inside a guitar case is a great idea. The best one out now is probably the Humidipak system because it tries to keep a guitar at a constant 48 percent relative humidity. It can supposedly add moisture as needed or remove it to keep it at a constant level. The same system (but at a much higher humidity level) is used to keep cigars at their proper humidity level (Boveda trade name, which is the parent of Humidipak). The negative is that you have to keep an eye on them and replace them as needed every few months.

Humidipak System

You'll want to get a hygrometer to keep in the case to give you an accurate reading as to the humidity levels. I recommend the one below because it's one of the few digital hygrometers that can be calibrated to ensure its accuracy. (I own three digital hygrometers that I got for $10 each at Walmart. When I checked them recently by the method below they turned out to be off by about 10 percent. Could cause problems since I can't calibrate them.)

Digital Hygrometer

In order to determine the accuracy of your hygrometer in your room use a sling psychrometer. It's a pair of thermometers (one normal, one that has a cotton wick on the bulb end that you moisten with water.) You swing it around over your head for about 90 seconds then read the two thermometers. The difference between the wet bulb and the dry one will tell you the relative humidity. They can be costly, but the one below is an inexpensive unit ($10) used for school kids. (If you want to use it every so often, the reviews say to replace the flimsy backing on the thermometers with cardboard to make it stronger.)

Inexpensive Sling Psychrometer

I purchased a real one (Bacharach) off of Ebay for about $25. They sell for about $80 if they're new.

And finally and very crude: if you drag your feet across the carpeting then touch somethig and get a shock, your humidity is too low. If you notice water droplets on you windows, it's too high.

Hope this helps.

FMA

Thank's a million FA, but I have a PLanet Waves humidipak system in my case and a good hygrometer in the cases. Do I also need to humidify my room if I never leave the instruments out of their cases after playing them ??

What you are doing is just fine as long as you keep an eye on the humidity level. That works fine for one guitar but when you have multiple guitars it is easier to maintain room humidifier or better yet a whole house humidifier.

Things to consider:

-Case humidifiers need to be checked regularly and can dry out faster the more you open the case.

-Room humidifiers work very well and you will have to fill it every day or every other day.

-Whole house humidifiers need to be filled once a week or so.

-Furnace humidifier needs very little maintenance except filter changes 2 or 3 times a year. (will not maintain consistent humidity since it only runs when the furnace is on)

I have a whole house humidifier as well as a furnace humidifier but I live in a 2 story house and my shop is connected to the house. I like to keep it between 40% - 50% throughout my house and shop.

Not only is is good for your guitar but is good for everything in your house including you. My setup I only need to fill the Whole house unit about once every 2 weeks.

For me that is the best solution but if you only have one or 2 guitars what you are doing is pretty much what most guys do. Just don't forget it for much more than a few days since the humidity will be drawn out from your case if environment outside the case is dry.

Thank's a million RR ! I'll just keep humidifying the room also, no harm in making sure I suppose.

What you are doing is just fine as long as you keep an eye on the humidity level. That works fine for one guitar but when you have multiple guitars it is easier to maintain room humidifier or better yet a whole house humidifier.

Things to consider:

-Case humidifiers need to be checked regularly and can dry out faster the more you open the case.

-Room humidifiers work very well and you will have to fill it every day or every other day.

-Whole house humidifiers need to be filled once a week or so.

-Furnace humidifier needs very little maintenance except filter changes 2 or 3 times a year. (will not maintain consistent humidity since it only runs when the furnace is on)

I have a whole house humidifier as well as a furnace humidifier but I live in a 2 story house and my shop is connected to the house. I like to keep it between 40% - 50% throughout my house and shop.

Not only is is good for your guitar but is good for everything in your house including you. My setup I only need to fill the Whole house unit about once every 2 weeks.

For me that is the best solution but if you only have one or 2 guitars what you are doing is pretty much what most guys do. Just don't forget it for much more than a few days since the humidity will be drawn out from your case if environment outside the case is dry.

As Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:00 AM and updated.

Hi, got three acoustic, one Gibson SWD, a Martin and a 12 strings Takamine and here it's very cold and dry during winter. I keep these in their cases near a Bionaire and set the relative humidity to 50. This one has a big water tank and average accurate hygrometer. I keep a tested hygrometer on top of my SWD case and it reads 47 or 48 when the humidifier is settle at 50. Without this humidifier the humidity would be at 20 during cold days ! During summer I use a dehumidifier to keep the humidity around 45 to 50.

http://www.jardensto...Id=495&pid=1309

I use a room humidifier that has a hygrostat and a tall spout since most units prematurely turn off because the vapor (ultrasonic units) drape over the unit unless the exit point is high up. This was the key in me finding an ultrasonic humidifier that worked well. The one I have has a tall neck and is within 2 percent of my calibrated hygrometers.

A good tip to help keep the room humidifiers from getting that sour/moldy smell is to make sure you put an ionic silver cube in the tank as silver helps prevents bacteria growth. Those cubes are expensive so an alternative is using 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide per gallon of water. That works very well to keep the bacteria growth in check!

Mark, Excellent point about bacteria growth. I use the bottles of additive you can get and it seems to work pretty well. I can tell you from experience if you don't put something in to keep the bacteria from growing, you will know it because it will start to smell funky.

I use to have one of the ultrasonic units but I switched to an evaporation unit because the ultrasonic one left white residue from our city water on everything within about 5 feet of the unit. My wife is the one that pointed it out so we switched to the evaporation one and have not had a problem since.

Another good tip is to make sure you get a larger capacity one that your house needs. It will run a lot less than one that is not big enough. The one I have now has a whisper mode where you can hardly hear the fan running and it is much improved over my last one where you could hear it every time it kicked on.

RusRob,

The ultrasonic units cannot benefit from a chemical additive since it can screw up the transducer because it is heavier then water. Good thing with Hydrogen Peroxide, it basically has the same density as water and does not affect (negatively) the transducer but if I owned an evaporation unit I would use the chemical like you.

That white dust you saw is from the minerals in your water and I sort of beat it by using filtered water (under sink filter system in my kitchen)which helped but I topped it off with a de-mineralization cartridge which lasts for about 3 months.

This humidification stuff is a slight annoyance but worth it to keep our guitars in good health.. LOL

No, you should be fine if you keep an eye on the Humidipaks and are confident in your hygrometer readings.

One thing, never, never store your guitar under your bed. NASA has proven that a guitar stored this way will enter an intergalactic time warp causing you to forget about it. Then your grandchildren will discover it and post to this forum "I found this under my grandpa's bed. Is it worth anything?"

Not sayin'; I'm just sayin'.

FMA

I use a room humidifier that has a hygrostat and a tall spout since most units prematurely turn off because the vapor (ultrasonic units) drape over the unit unless the exit point is high up. This was the key in me finding an ultrasonic humidifier that worked well. The one I have has a tall neck and is within 2 percent of my calibrated hygrometers.

A good tip to help keep the room humidifiers from getting that sour/moldy smell is to make sure you put an ionic silver cube in the tank as silver helps prevents bacteria growth. Those cubes are expensive so an alternative is using 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide per gallon of water. That works very well to keep the bacteria growth in check!

Sitedrifter:

What brand/model are you using?

Thanks,

FMA

Sitedrifter:

What brand/model are you using?

Thanks,

FMA

I am not kidding when I say I tried 5 brands and they all were terrible and ranged from $89 to $159. I was just about to give up and go with trial and error on evaporative ones when I was watching QVC and they had this Air Innovations with a tower spout for $70 or so. I ordered it and it has been working great. Accurate to within 2 percent (reads higher) of my hygrometers and works quietly and has a large water tank so no refilling every few hours. QVC product number for it is V31794

I am not kidding when I say I tried 5 brands and they all were terrible and ranged from $89 to $159. I was just about to give up and go with trial and error on evaporative ones when I was watching QVC and they had this Air Innovations with a tower spout for $70 or so. I ordered it and it has been working great. Accurate to within 2 percent (reads higher) of my hygrometers and works quietly and has a large water tank so no refilling every few hours. QVC product number for it is V31794

Thanks, Mark. I believe it when you say you've tried 'em all. I read the reviews on everything and gave up hope on anything. So, I bought a cheap refurb unit and it died the first week I had it.

I'll check out yours.

I think RusRob is using a Honeywell, which he likes, but now Amazon is refusing to sell them because of a problem (which they won't be specify). It seems like a simple project to make a machine that spits in the air.

Oh well, I guess I'll spend the rest of the day tearing apart my humidifier.

FMA

My furnace unit is a GeneralAir which is similar to the Honeywell model. That will keep my house and shop in the high 30's but the humidity fluctuates with the amount my furnace kicks on. A couple of years ago I added the whole house unit. Some may think it is overkill but I just recently started building guitars and it is essential to have consistent 40 to 50% humidity. The good thing about having 2 is that the whole house unit doesn't need to work very hard to maintain 45% humidity. That is a EssickAir 14 gal console unit.

My furnace unit is a GeneralAir which is similar to the Honeywell model. That will keep my house and shop in the high 30's but the humidity fluctuates with the amount my furnace kicks on. A couple of years ago I added the whole house unit. Some may think it is overkill but I just recently started building guitars and it is essential to have consistent 40 to 50% humidity. The good thing about having 2 is that the whole house unit doesn't need to work very hard to maintain 45% humidity. That is a EssickAir 14 gal console unit.

Thanks for the correction on what model you're using.

Building guitars, eh. I envy you that.eusa_clap.gif Have fun.

FMA

Archived