Gibson Brands Forums

NAD

krock

There was a one of those Vox heads for sale locally and I was tempted to buy it. How is it with overdrive?

It takes the tubescreamer and OCD clones well. Anything too high gain like the rams head muff clone (silver pedal) or the Hendrix FF (black box) and it can get a little mushy. I was contemplating putting in 12AU7'S

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd post an update on what I've done to the amp and cab since I got it a month ago.

I've since dropped in a Mullard ECC83 and el84 both from the blackburn factory which I found in some old hifi equipment at the local tidy tip the other day. They seem to be working great and sound more pleasant to my ears than the Sovtek el84 and JJ ECC83 that were in it. I also put in a celestion blue 15w which some guy gave me in return for doing some maintenance work on his Yamaha SG. Its been sat in the garage for the past 6 months and hasnt been broken in yet. Already sounds better than the sock celestion seventy80 at any rate

2014-01-07125915.jpg

2014-01-10145714.jpg

I've since dropped in a Mullard ECC83 and el34 both from the blackburn factory which I found in some old hifi equipment I found at the local tidy tip the other day. They seem to be working great and sound more pleasant to my ears than the Sovtek el84 and JJ ECC83 that were in it.

Hoping this is a typo...

-Ryan

Hoping this is a typo...

-Ryan

As in the EL34 and EL84 have different ampage and wattage?....

Hmmmm....

I can't say I know anything about the internals of that Vox myself.

Hopefully krock can enlighten us.

Very sweet little set-up, though!

P.

Hoping this is a typo...

-Ryan

As in the EL34 and EL84 have different ampage and wattage?....

Hmmmm....

I can't say I know anything about the internals of that Vox myself.

Hopefully krock can enlighten us.

Very sweet little set-up, though!

P.

Yeah that was a typo which Ive now corrected. It uses one ecc83 and el84

Archived