Gibson Brands Forums

Sheryl dressed up in firestripe

Lars68

Here is another one of James' pickguards just as it came from him, with no paint on the back.

One half of the guard is over a red piece of paper, while the other half is over white paper. It is easy to see how the guard changes color depending on the background. Maybe this photo helps explain how painting the back of the guard can affect its appearance.

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/2e225b1c77012ce5ea1ecde7dba5bc9c6a76789.JPG

Lars

I understand how the color behind the guard will affect the final look. What I'd like to see is how the guard looks from the outside before you attach it to the guitar to know what to look for when I try mine. I don't want to attach it only to find that it doesn't look correct.

Maybe you could color a piece of paper to give us an idea of the final effect. =D>

Thanks for your trouble, Chuck

I understand how the color behind the guard will affect the final look. What I'd like to see is how the guard looks from the outside before you attach it to the guitar to know what to look for when I try mine. I don't want to attach it only to find that it doesn't look correct.

Maybe you could color a piece of paper to give us an idea of the final effect. =D>

Thanks for your trouble, Chuck

Well, it is just trial and error really. I painted, wiped off, and painted again until I was happy. Once painted, it will look the same no matter the background, so you can just lay it on top of the guitar to see if you're happy.

Lars

Lars

I got a fire stripe from James after seeing your post about your AJ,and I wondered why you painted the back since the guards are semi-transparent and show the burst threw them. I also love the way you can see the wood grain threw the light parts of the guard

Fish

FMA, by all means, if you transfer sufficient funds I will do a step-by-step photo documentation of the process [biggrin]

Anyone else care to help me explain. English is my second language...

Lars

Sufficient funds? What are those?

Your English is fine. I think it was the idea of painting something pink and having it come out as great as it did on a non-pink guitar.

Thanks for the additional directions you have posted. It makes sense now.

One thing, though, did I miss James' web site address, or is it common knowledge or improper protocol to post it here?

Thanks for your help,

FMA

FMA, you are right. I only linked the photos from James' site but never posted the address. My mistake, Here it is.

www.firestripepickguards.com

He is great to deal with!

Lars

P.S. sufficient funds to buy a new J-35 and a pickguard from James would be nice [thumbup]

Archived