Gibson Brands Forums

Sheryl dressed up in firestripe

Lars68

You even made me look. I waited until my wife left the room, and then open the thread.[biggrin]

Thanks for the nice comments guys. Lars does a great job of Lars-ifying them with his back coating.

The guitar looks great.

James

Thanks James. Your product is superb! It's by far the best cosmetic upgrade available for modern Gibsons.

Lars

Yes, I am very happy with the first one, too. It has a different look. The AJ has a Tobacco Burst wich is very different from the burst on the Sheryl SJ, which is brighter and a little more reddish.

Here is the AJ:

http://www.firestripepickguards.com/wp-content/uploads/larsaj1.jpg

This is a much better photo than the one I just did for the SJ. I had to do the SJ with flash, while the AJ is in natural light. The lighting makes a big difference when trying to show subtle differences in burst colors. Both pickguards have my homemade paintjob on the flipside, just different color schemes to match the bursts.

It's kind of cool to browse the owner photos on James' site. They all look a little different but good.

Lars

Yes, I am very happy with the first one, too. It has a different look. The AJ has a Tobacco Burst wich is very different from the burst on the Sheryl SJ, which is brighter and a little more reddish.

Here is the AJ:

http://www.firestripepickguards.com/wp-content/uploads/larsaj1.jpg

This is a much better photo than the one I just did for the SJ. I had to do the SJ with flash, while the AJ is in natural light. The lighting makes a big difference when trying to show subtle differences in burst colors. Both pickguards have my homemade paintjob on the flipside, just different color schemes to match the bursts.

It's kind of cool to browse the owner photos on James' site. They all look a little different but good.

Lars

Lars , what do you mean with your 'home made paint job ' ??

Nice guards , that last pic shows how well they're finished at the edges.

Did you change the shape for the Sheryl crow? Aren't they the three pointed guards a la southern jumbo ?

Lars , what do you mean with your 'home made paint job ' ??

Nice guards , that last pic shows how well they're finished at the edges.

Did you change the shape for the Sheryl crow? Aren't they the three pointed guards a la southern jumbo ?

Both guards are the standard shapes from Gibson for the AJ and SJ models.

I find the look of the semi transparent vintage firestripe guards very attractive. They flow very naturally with the color of the burst, since in the old days the guards were placed on bare wood and then sprayed over. Hence, the gradual change in color of the burst from center and towards the edges became part of the guards. I have found that it is impossible to achieve this look by putting a firestripe guard on top of the finish on a modern guitar. They colors don't look right and everything becomes too dark. Also the adhesieve can be seen through the guards. This is true both for the current Gibson firestripe guards, as well as the ones James makes. Instead, to get the best look possible, I hand paint a burst pattern on the back of the replacement pickguards by using acrylic paint. It's an incredibly crude pattern but it works very well. I make the colors somewhat brighter than the corresponding part of the finish on the guitar. On the SJ guard I went from pink to maroon, and on the AJ I went from tan to brown. I try to pick colors schemes that look good from the front.

By doing this, the color of the finsished guard, as seen from the front, replicates the natural gradual change of color of the oldies.

It is a very easy and rewarding do-it-yourself project, made possible by James' wonderful product.

Lars

I'm a bit confused on how your paint job works, Lars, but your pickguards look great.

To help me understand, could you please go out and buy a new Gibson and another pickguard from James? Then do what you do while taking pictures of it for us so we can actually see how to do it.

Consider it a Christmas gift for yourself and for your friends here.

FMA

Both guards are the standard shapes from Gibson for the AJ and SJ models.

I find the look of the semi transparent vintage firestripe guards very attractive. They flow very naturally with the color of the burst, since in the old days the guards were placed on bare wood and then sprayed over. Hence, the gradual change in color of the burst from center and towards the edges became part of the guards. I have found that it is impossible to achieve this look by putting a firestripe guard on top of the finish on a modern guitar. They colors don't look right and everything becomes too dark. Also the adhesieve can be seen through the guards. This is true both for the current Gibson firestripe guards, as well as the ones James makes. Instead, to get the best look possible, I hand paint a burst pattern on the back of the replacement pickguards by using acrylic paint. It's an incredibly crude pattern but it works very well. I make the colors somewhat brighter than the corresponding part of the finish on the guitar. On the SJ guard I went from pink to maroon, and on the AJ I went from tan to brown. I try to pick colors schemes that look good from the front.

By doing this, the color of the finsished guard, as seen from the front, replicates the natural gradual change of color of the oldies.

It is a very easy and rewarding do-it-yourself project, made possible by James' wonderful product.

Lars

Very cool, Lars!

FMA, by all means, if you transfer sufficient funds I will do a step-by-step photo documentation of the process [biggrin]

I realize now when reading back what I wrote, that painting the back of the pickguard may sound more involved than it really is. It is really very easy. All firestripe pickguards, past and present, are semi-transparent. There is a pattern in the pickguard material with dark swirls etc, but in the lighter, non-colored parts of the material, whatever is underneath is visible when the guard is in place. In the past, the guards were put directly on natural wood and then the burst was sprayed on the whole guitar, over the pickguard. That made for a very naturally, flowing look.

Today, the guitars are sprayed and the guards are applied on top of the burst. So when placing a transparent guard over the burst it looks too dark. Therefore, I paint the back of the guard with brighter colors than the actual burst colors on the guitar, this gives the right look from the front.

Anyone else care to help me explain. English is my second language...

Lars

I had mine painted white on the back, but it stood out too much when on the burst. What color do you spray on the back to make it blend in better?

It would depend on the color of the burst on your guitar. On my AJ I started with a tan color and gradually darkened it to end up with brown in the areas of the darkest part of the burst. On the SJ I did the same thing, but going from light pink to maroon.

I simply paint gradually darker bands about half an inch wide. I don't spray. I just use my kids acrylics. Very crude, but easy...

Lars

It would depend on the color of the burst on your guitar. On my AJ I started with a tan color and gradually darkened it to end up with brown in the areas of the darkest part of the burst. On the SJ I did the same thing, but going from light pink to maroon.

I simply paint gradually darker bands about half an inch wide. I don't spray. I just use my kids acrylics. Very crude, but easy...

Lars

I agree with the others here that it looks very convincing. Maybe consider using the old guard you took off to demonstrate your pickguard coloring method. [thumbup]

Chuck

Here is another one of James' pickguards just as it came from him, with no paint on the back.

One half of the guard is over a red piece of paper, while the other half is over white paper. It is easy to see how the guard changes color depending on the background. Maybe this photo helps explain how painting the back of the guard can affect its appearance.

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/2e225b1c77012ce5ea1ecde7dba5bc9c6a76789.JPG

Lars

Archived