Gibson Brands Forums

in the shop

BRAZIE

so i just got an o7 les paul custom black,with the three pickup configuration.(such a beautiful guitar.)i plugged it in to play and noticed that only one pickup works,its the neck pickup.i figured its the switch.iv dropped it off at the guitar shop up the road.i may not get it back for a week or so.i know i am just freaking out but how likely is it that two out of three humbuckers are actually damaged,or whats the worst that could be wrong with the thing?...keep in mind i only payed $250 for it and the body is in great condition.

BRAZIE,

Congrats on the guitar!!!

Although possible, the odds of having two bad pickups out of three would be a very long shot.

Unless the person that sold you the guitar put two bad pickups in the guitar in order to salvage out two good ones,

then I would guess the problem lies elsewhere.

As to where or what...well...

There are only so many parts in that guitar.

Pickups, wires, jack, caps and pots....that's about it.

Willy

There is nothing expensive that would cause the problem. Worst case senario is 2 dead pickups, and you can get used HBs of that quality on Ebay for next to nothing. I've seen old Dimarzio Super Distortions (Think "Boston") go for around $20.

thanks guys,what pickups would you suggest for this guitar?i play a lot of zepplin and rolling stones stuff along with a lot of bluegrass and old country.so i want some thick crunch with clear highs and some warm tones for finger picking.im a newbie when it comes to upgrading electronics.

If it does come to needing to upgrade pickups, GFS (Guitarfetish) have a good range and decent prices. They get favourable reviews for bang for buck, there's lots of youtube demos out there, and lots of us here have or do use them. I've had several, and from what I've had and for what you describe I'd suggest the Vintage 59's. The Fat Pats give great crunch tones, but don't do clean well.

GFS vintage 59

If it does come to needing to upgrade pickups, GFS (Guitarfetish) have a good range and decent prices. They get favourable reviews for bang for buck, there's lots of youtube demos out there, and lots of us here have or do use them. I've had several, and from what I've had and for what you describe I'd suggest the Vintage 59's. The Fat Pats give great crunch tones, but don't do clean well.

GFS vintage 59

absolutely...Vintage wound GFS p'ups are GREAT for the $ !!!

and be sure to have the guitar tech make sure the individual treble bleed caps stay on all 3 vol-pots....I have the '61 RI LPC-SG3 w/the middle p'up.....3 vol-pots and 1 tone pot can take a little getting used to at 1st.

Archived