Gibson Brands Forums

Trucks-ifying my 61 Reissue

JamGuy

In a moment of impetuous web searching/shopping I located and purchased a Derek Trucks vibrola tailpiece (and Les Paul truss rod cover) with the intention of installing it on my '61 reissue SG, effectively turning it into a sort of a modded '63/Derek Trucks SG. It's had a tough 11 year old life but is still structurally sound… lots of dings, dents, scratches, finish cracks,etc, so no real worries about killing the value of it. I wouldn't care if it did honestly… I have no plans to unload it as it's one of my daily players. I was thinking I can always just yank the pickguard off it and have yet another Derek Trucks SG but may leave the p/g on, I really haven't decided. I'll get some pictures up once it arrives and I get it installed.

I guess I could remove the cover on my "real" DT tailpiece and see, but was wondering what the vintage correct style screws would be for installing it… anyone know? I'm not sure the one I ordered comes w/the screws (or that the screws used on the new DTs are the kind used originally). Probably doesn't matter as it'll be covered up anyhow.

Why not just add the whole Maestro, so you can actually use it? :unsure:

CB

Honestly I've never used one… I really don't tend to lean towards vibrato/trem units on guitars I guess, even most of my strats are hardtails. I'm not (too) embarrassed to say that I just think it looks cool and that's the only reason for installing it.

Honestly I've never used one… I really don't tend to lean towards vibrato/trem units on guitars I guess, even most of my strats are hardtails. I'm not (too) embarrassed to say that I just think it looks cool and that's the only reason for installing it.

Yeah, you and Derek. [biggrin] I like the look, too, I can't deny that. But, of the whole

thing. You can always swing the handle out of the way, and use it that way. There's always

been some differing opinions, on whether or not the Maestro adds or subtracts tone/sustain.

I have SG's with both stop tail pieces, and Maestro's. IF there's any difference, either way,

it's very subtle. So, I don't think you'd loose anything, installing the entire rig. But,

it is your guitar, do whatever you fancy. [thumbup] It was only a thought/question, nothing more. [biggrin]

CB

Yeah, you and Derek. [biggrin] I like the look, too, I can't deny that. But, of the whole

thing. You can always swing the handle out of the way, and use it that way. There's always

been some differing opinions, on whether or not the Maestro adds or subtracts tone/sustain.

I have SG's with both stop tail pieces, and Maestro's. IF there's any difference, either way,

it's very subtle. So, I don't think you'd loose anything, installing the entire rig. But,

it is your guitar, do whatever you fancy. [thumbup] It was only a thought/question, nothing more. [biggrin]

CB

No worries… it actually did get me to thinking :-k . I guess the reason I didn't really consider it was that I'd heard the very same complaints about the Maestro, and having no experience with them, figured I'd just go the safe route. It sounds as though my concerns were unjustified. Heck, this gives me an excuse to perhaps get another SG down the road. I have always been a strat guy but am playing my SGs with more and more regularity… that new 61 classic (the one with the side pull vibrato) looks pretty snappy!

Well, I used SG's quite a lot, in the '60's. But sold all of them,

and my other guitars and amps, in '72. Stopped playing altogether,

for nearly 30 years. Got the bug again, around 2000, but didn't

buy another SG, until this past year, when they started producing more

with the (beloved by me) early '60's bevels, and horn tapers! As I

mentioned on this SG forum, previously, I went SG "Crazy!!" [blush]

Bought 4! '61 (Satin finish, Stop tailpiece) Reissue, KD SG Custom,

SG "Original," and the latest was the '61 Les Paul Tribute, with the

side vibrola. I'm now looking into "Rehab!" [flapper][biggrin]

3 of those have the Maestro, in 2 different forms. No problem, with

any of them, except that the SG "Original" did have a defective one,

out of the factory, but Gibson replaced the whole unit, and it's now

awesome! As long as you have a nut, that won't pinch string, and

don't go "crazy" dive bombing, a proper functioning Maestro works

quite well.

Good luck, on whatever you decide to do! [thumbup]

CB

No worries… it actually did get me to thinking :-k . I guess the reason I didn't really consider it was that I'd heard the very same complaints about the Maestro, and having no experience with them, figured I'd just go the safe route. It sounds as though my concerns were unjustified. Heck, this gives me an excuse to perhaps get another SG down the road. I have always been a strat guy but am playing my SGs with more and more regularity… that new 61 classic (the one with the side pull vibrato) looks pretty snappy!

Looks snappy and sounds even better.

Archived