Gibson Brands Forums

Are the Dunlop Straplock's safe?

MCK

Never used them before and would like to get some feedback before something sad happens. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Y'know, everything CAN break, but the Straplocks probably won't, the screw almost always pulls out of the wood first.

That being said, I hate the extra "fixtures" from strap locking systems, they squeak and hold the strap out an extra half inch, and annoy me...

I've been using Dunlop's Dual Lok system. Just slips over the strap button after the strap, and twists on. I'm very active on stage, and these never let me down. Your mileage may vary.

Shel

I hear they're decent but I don't really like them 'cause of how they work. The Dunlops i've seen have all had this system where all you have to do to release the strap button is push the button. I dont feel safe with this. i feel like im gonna accidently hit the button and drop my beautiful axe. :D

I use Schallers on a coupla my guitars. Only issue I've had with Schallers is you have to be careful that the knob you pull out to release it from the strap button is always properly screwed into the locking mechanism that attaches to the guitar strap peg. Every now and again I rotate the knob while holding my finger against the inside of the strap lock and make sure it's tight.

I like the Schallers as they aren't as large as the Dunlop's. Haven't really had Dunlop's on a guitar before. Very nice and thoughtful that Gibson included a set with the DF tho...very good idea on our new investment. =D>

Agreed. I used a Schaller for many years on heavy basses and never had a problem. The design is sound in the the guitar side sits in the U shaped strap side. Gravity holds you tight. Dunlops made me a little nervous since the ball bearing thingys may grind down over time etc but I guess they're ok. I am too paranoid at this time.

I have schallers on all of my guitars. I think they have the best design. The way the cup traps with gravity and pull to release. Even if the pin is accidently pulled it won't come off without lifting out of the cup. I use either #445, 446 or 447. The difference is the finish you want>

If you go to Schallers - be sure to keep the Strap Nuts tight -

When used on thick Levi's leather straps, I have had the Schaller Strap Nuts come off mid performance and that sucks.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schaller-Strap-Locks-and-Buttons-Pair-?sku=360389

464856.jpg

I put a few drops of super glue in the Strap Nuts and that solved the problem.

they work great. got a set in black on my robot les paul. although they stick out a bit they look quite cool and very safe. i've done a few flips and usually am quite rough with it onstage, they haven't let me down so far.

I love them. I used to use Schaller straplocks but they got a little loose after a while and I had to retighten them now and then. (party due to the fact that the screws that come with them are skinnier than the screws that come with the Gibson strap buttons, and you cant use your Gibson strap button screws with them because the whole for the screw isnt big enough.) The Dunlop strap lock screws are a good tight fit and are similar to the Gibson screws. I'm not one for putting little peices of wood or a tooth pick in my guitar to make a screw fir snug. No thanks!

As far as playing with them, I don't run about the stage too much these days (Like rsx. Cant say I've tried doing flips with them either!) but they've never let me down and are quite secure. I have a set on each of my Gibsons. I think you'll like them :)

Archived