Gibson Brands Forums

Help me find it

Dg77

LP STANDARD, 60s slim taper not asymmetrical, non weight relieved or Swiss cheese, no chambereding wanted. Pups can be anything really cuz if I don't like em I'll change them.

What year do I need to look for to get this?

It's about $130,000 cheaper than the only alternative....

OK, to help a bit more...

The LP Standard as we know it was discontinued in 1960 for the SG-shape series.

The carved-top Standard came back into regular production in '74-'75.

These had solid-bodies but not the '60s slim neck profile.

In around '82 - '83 Gibson started to weight-relieve every LP in their catalogue.

From late 2006 to date the Standard has been chambered.

In 2013 the LP Traditional was offered with a non-weight-relieved body. This was the first 'normal' non Custom Shop R-I LP model to have a solid body for 30 years.

Just out of interest; why don't you want 'Swiss-Cheesing'?

Other than making the instruments nearly the same weight as the R-I's (W-R are still usually slightly heavier) it makes no difference whatsoever. Certainly not to the sound.

P.

... '60s slim neck profile.

...P.

Hello Pippy!

Out of interest: What is the difference between "60s neck profile" and "Slim-taper neck profile"? Or these should be the same?

(Maybe, it can be interesting for the OP too.)

Cheers... Bence

Out of interest: What is the difference between "60s neck profile" and "Slim-taper neck profile"? Or these should be the same?

I'm not sure there is a difference, Bence; there may be, of course.

AFAIK the '60s neck profile is the same as a 60's slim-taper profile - I tend to use both expressions 'synonymously' as it were - but I might be wrong.

As you well know, all necks taper from thinner at the nut to thicker at the heel.

As you also well know the (modern) '60s profile is slimmer than the '50s profile by a fair margin.

Therefore by definition, if nothing else, a '60s profile' will also be a 'slim-taper profile' compared with similar but different LPs.

FWIW the neck on my earliest '60s profile Lester (the '91 1960 Classic) has a far slimmer profile than either of the other two '60s necks.

The other two ('95 R0 and '95 1960 Classic) have as near as dammit identical profiles; by which I mean, for example, at the 12th fret they were identical down to 3 decimal places(!) on my digital micrometer.

One (possibly) often overlooked aspect of the '60s neck (IMX) is this;

These 3 necks varied less (expressed as a percentage) along their length than does the neck on my '93 R9 - which is beefy even by '50s profile standards.

Whereas the '60s necks were only slightly thicker at the 12th than at the 1st the '50s neck was considerably deeper at the 12th than at the 1st.

IMX there is more - in both senses of the word - of a taper on the '50s neck than on the '60s necks.

It could be that there is a different type of '60s neck which has a more pronounced 'taper' from thinner to thicker but which is still slimmer than a regular '59 neck?

Who knows? All necks are shaped by hand at the end of the day so there will always be variation even between instruments of the same type.

Neck-thickness is a funny thing.

General wisdom holds that a '58 is thicker than a '59 which is thicker than a '60.

Yet if you glance over the figures in Yas Iwanade's 'Beauty...Burst' you'll notice that the thickest necks are jointly on the 3rd to last '58 and the very last '59 mentioned.

Both are 23.4mm (1st) and 25.2mm (11th).

There are more '58s in the 22mm-23mm range than 'over 23mm'. The 22.- 23.mm's also dominate the '59s yet there are others in the 20.+, 21.+ and 23.+mm ranges.

One '59 has a neck which goes from a very slim 20.6 (1st) yet tapers to a hefty 25.2 at the 11th - a difference of 4.6mm - which is over 22% thicker than at the 1st.

One '58, by comparison, has the figures 23.2; 24.5 at these same points which gives a variation of only 5.6% from lower- to higher-end.

Not a single '58 or '59 neck is thinner than 24.0 at the low end nor any thicker than 25.4mm. Consider; 40-odd guitars varying by less than 1.4mm over a two-year production period.

From these figures it could also probably be argued that the '58s - as a group - taper less than the '59s.

All the later '60s start down in the 20.+ area but the earlier '60s are still in the 21.+, 22.+ and 23.+ zone and one even finishes at 25.2.

This, a 1960 remember, has the second-thickest neck measurement of the entire list.

P.

Hello Pippy!

Thank You so much!

I hope, I didn't hijacked this thread...

The reason I have asked this, that to me it seems Gibson uses the term "60s Slim Taper" very loosely. The neck of my 2011 Classic Custom is very thin, and seems to be consistent from nut to heel. The neck of my L6S - which is also said to have that profile - is thicker, and it's thickness gradually increasing from nut to heel. Actually, the 2011 L6S has exactly the same neck profile as my '78 LP Recording! :D

So, just for the record, there can be huge deviation between those 60s neck profiles.

Best wishes... Bence

Interesting replies guys!

I'm OK with Swiss cheese relief that's what my traditional has.

I have a 50s neck on that and I love it, but on my next LP I'd like the 60s neck just for something different. I'm not a fan on the chambered LP as much. To met hey sound a but thin and almost hollow like. I know most would say there's no difference in tone, but I hear a difference!

I'm using the 60s neck and slim taper synonymously. If there's a difference I'm not overly concerned, as either is going to be slimmer than the traditional I have.

Guutar center had a 2013 standard on clearance and I would have jumped on it if not for the clambering. I'm sure it's an awesome guitar but I like the heavy feel of my Swiss cheese LP and my newly aquired PRS Se245.

So if W-R is fine then basically you can have anything from '83 (say) to 2005 (say) with a '60s profile neck.

I'll have to get back to you on that point as I can't, at the moment, remember when the '60s profile was an option on the Standards. Sorry!

P.

So nothing really recent I guess. While I was on the road for work I went to GC and Sam Ash today to see why they have hanging around. A few 2013 standards on clearance. Nothing that was knock your socks off though. I stopped at a more local GC last week and they had a gorgeous standard in Ice tea burst on clearance that I almost jumped on.

I'll keep my eyes out for an older model I guess. I don't like buying used guitars unless it's been well taken care of.

Or I'll get over the chambering.

Archived