Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: ES359

JM2112

After picking up a CS356 a few months ago, and being absolutely blown away with it, I decided to keep an eye out for an ES359. It didn’t take long for one to show up. I found a 2008 ES359 that looked to be in perfect condition and had its Custom Shop case and COA. So I contacted the GC that had it for sale and bought it. After delaying the shipment due to the polar vortex a few weeks ago I finally got it. It was fine with one exception. The nut slot for the low e string was cut out too deep and it buzzed even though the action was jacked up sky high. So, I contact the GC that I bought it from and told them the situation and they agreed to replace the nut for free at my local GC. The tech did a perfect job replacing the nut, he lowered the bridge pick up and action and put on a new set of strings at no cost to me.

I finally got the guitar home and had a chance to give it a good playing, and it’s an awesome instrument. I’ve since tweeked the action a bit more to my liking, and it plays great! It certainly has a unique and different tone than my LP’s and SG with their solid bodies. Compared to my CS356, which has a routed mahogany body and maple cap, it is brighter in tone and has a crisper sound to it. The gain on my Marshall DSL has to go up to around 4-5 to get some good old rock and roll crunch/growl out of it. I typically have little to no use for the neck pickup on my other guitars, but this thing sounds awesome with the bridge and neck pickup on at the same time. Played clean it sounds like heaven with a crystal clear tone. The guitar’s finish is very clean, just some minor swirls that show on reflection where the right arm contacts the lower bout for strumming/picking, but that’s to be expected. This should be one heck of a guitar for playing blues tunes. Now I just have to find a nice blues amp for it, but I’m not about to hit my wife up on that just yet. Any blues amps suggestions would be appreciated. I’m likely to start looking at Fender amps.

It’s an awesome guitar! [thumbup]

Here are some pics of my ever growing Gibson family. [smile]

IMG_0365_zps249ea3a5.jpg

IMG_0364_zps9730bf16.jpg

IMG_0360_zpsc80b2fb5.jpg

Family pic:

top row from left to right: CS356, ES359

bottom row from left to right: Les Paul Custom Shop, SG Standard, Les Paul Classic Custom

IMG_0356_zps92d3cc99.jpg

Congrats on the ES359

=D>=D>=D>

What a great family of guitars :thumb:

all you need now is to get a SG with the 'Custom' looks.... [thumbup]

At the moment an Ebony ES-359 would be my 'dream'

though they seldom pop up here at the stores I frequent

thomann had one a year ago... for 2700Euro [drool]

Soory, no 'thank' button here O:)

Thanks!!! [thumbup]

Reading this kind of gives me a deja vu sort of feeling... [biggrin] ;)

Holy Moly that is a tool box to make anyone proud! Lot's of split parallelagrams! I like the flowerpots and torches too.

Sorry to show my ignorance, but is the 359 full hollow or semi-hollow? I have, and enjoy both. Different tools for different moods. slim

post-62537-073799200 1390699153_thumb.jpg

Holy Moly that is a tool box to make anyone proud! Lot's of split parallelagrams! I like the flowerpots and torches too.

Sorry to show my ignorance, but is the 359 full hollow or semi-hollow? I have, and enjoy both. Different tools for different moods. slim

Thanks!!!

No excusing necessary, if you don't know then you only need ask, IMHO. The ES359 is a semi-hollow with a maple/poplar laminate. It rocks!!! [thumbup]

Love that gold top and the one on the far right that looks to be a ES175!

Congrats on your new, beautiful ES-359.

Your CS-356 is really catching my eye (GAS).

That's a fantastic family of Gibbies you've got there. . B)

Thanks!!!

The CS356 is just one awesome guitar! I love all my guitars, but if I could only have one I would likely choose the CS356. I can do it all, from hard rock to crystal clear tone. If you're serious about wanting one you're in luck because GC has one on their used guitar listing right now. I watch their listings, and when a CS356 shows up it's usually gone within a week.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-GIBSON-CS356-11514-109826010-i3599890.gc

Nice guitar. They have a unique sound.

Thanks!!!

Agreed, they most certainly do have a unique sound. It's amazing how different it is from the CS356 when both guitars are pretty much identical with the exception of the routed mahogany body and maple cap vs. the laminate.

Just to make sure we're all on the same page, those head inlays on four of JM2112's guitars are called "split diamonds", not split parallelograms. Split parallelograms are the inlays on the ES-175, ES-345, etc.

Also, torches and flowerpots are two different terms for the same inlay (L5, Byrdland...). The inlay on the above SG is traditionally called a "crown".

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming. ;)

Archived