Gibson Brands Forums

truss rod cover screws

blindboygrunt

When I replaced my truss rod cover I noticed that one of the screws had sheared. I screwed half the screw back in and, while it holds the cover on , it causes the cover to buzz.

Any ideas on getting the half screw out of the hole so I can put a new one in?

Are you sure that it "sheared" while you were working with it? Gibson shears off a portion of the lower screw sometimes to make it shorter so that it doesn't hit the truss rod when it's screwed in. I'm thinking that's what you're seeing and there isn't a portion of the screw remaining in the hole. Make sure the shorter screw is in the lower hole and you should be OK.

Are you sure that it "sheared" while you were working with it? Gibson shears off a portion of the lower screw sometimes to make it shorter so that it doesn't hit the truss rod when it's screwed in. I'm thinking that's what you're seeing and there isn't a portion of the screw remaining in the hole. Make sure the shorter screw is in the lower hole and you should be OK.

Ah! Ok. That makes sense. It didnt shear while i was fiddling. It doesn't seem to be catching my fancy truss rod cover. Maybe the screw isn't long enough with the extra thickness of the cover.

Thanks

So does this mean we should expect you all goth in your next vid with dark lipstick and eye shadow, leather straps, the odd bit of fur here and there, codpiece, and ironmongery all over your costume? You may have to change your material away from the trying-to-get-laid-sensitive-young-singer-songwriter to something with a bit more braggadocio...

So does this mean we should expect you all goth in your next vid with dark lipstick and eye shadow, leather straps, the odd bit of fur here and there, codpiece, and ironmongery all over your costume? You may have to change your material away from the trying-to-get-laid-sensitive-young-singer-songwriter to something with a bit more braggadocio...

Haha. I'll just keep trying to get laid jerry. I just have an attic full of acdc and iron maiden LPs.

I wondering if I should maybe just place something soft in behind the truss cover to deal with the rattling. I dont want to permanently alter the guitar with a wider screw , and I'm not sure how impossible it would be to get a screw and shorten it by the exact amount needed.

One of these days I'm bound to wise up and want the proper cover back on

I'm off for a run round the garden and then the wife has promised to take me for a walk. Woof

Try putting the original TRC back on and see if it rattles. Put a piece of black construction paper under the new one if the old one doesn't rattle. Probably the new one is a different thickness, only other solution is to experiment with different size screws and then risk messing up the existing hole.

If you can't fix it, might I suggest a nice poodle skirt in goth black for your next gig? Guaranteed no one will notice the rattle or probably even your TRC.

Try putting the original TRC back on and see if it rattles. Put a piece of black construction paper under the new one if the old one doesn't rattle. Probably the new one is a different thickness, only other solution is to experiment with different size screws and then risk messing up the existing hole.

If you can't fix it, might I suggest a nice poodle skirt in goth black for your next gig? Guaranteed no one will notice the rattle or probably even your TRC.

I've tried that before ;)

The piece of paper or something similar is what i was thinking. The new skull one is just a hair thicker I think , and the screw is just slipping on the last turn.

Good info that they were shortened because of the truss rod. I assumed it was the little bit of the screw I could see down the hole. Is the truss rod I can see then.

Thanks fellas

You learn something new every day. I've owned Gibsons for 16 years and I never noticed that. I do always put the same screw into the same hole though.

Archived