Gibson Brands Forums

1952 L-4

powerwagonjohn

I posted this in the Vintage Gibson Forum but I thought It might better exposure here:

I am looking at a 1952 Gibson L-4 acoustic archtop with a de Armond 1000 pick up. The guitar is in almost new condition but the one thing that puzzles me is the fingerboard is right on the face of the guitar. I would have expected the elevated fingerboard that my 2009 L-4CES has along with most other Gibson archtops I have owned or seen. Even my 1956 ES-225T, which was a lower line guitar, has an elevated fretboard. Does anyone have any insight into when this changed and why?

Thanks John

KS, does the L-50 laminated back and sides like the L-4? They look like nice guitars. Some Guild acoustic guitars are famous for their arched laminated backs. This L-4 is my first acoustic archtop and I can't put it down. Is there a book that covers the history and development of Gibson acoustic archtops.

Thanks John

I posted this in the Vintage Gibson Forum but I thought It might better exposure here:

I am looking at a 1952 Gibson L-4 acoustic archtop with a de Armond 1000 pick up. The guitar is in almost new condition but the one thing that puzzles me is the fingerboard is right on the face of the guitar. I would have expected the elevated fingerboard that my 2009 L-4CES has along with most other Gibson archtops I have owned or seen. Even my 1956 ES-225T, which was a lower line guitar, has an elevated fretboard. Does anyone have any insight into when this changed and why?

Thanks John

Good eye John !

I agree with your choice of an L-4 CES. I own an '89, and love it.

I also have/had been looking for an acoustic L-4 for a while. I love the size etc etc, and wish L-4's had originally been made with solid wood backs. Then they'd be easier to locate. What I have found with any year L-4 is surprises. I thought I found 'the one' - - a one owner clean '30's acoustic, except it had a baseball bat neck, and I had to pass. Then I found a '50's * blonde* L-4, and that had an elevated fingerboard but the same big neck.

I am guessing the one you found was a cutaway, right? Either way, L-4's have had more than a couple configurations.

Bottom line, if you're looking for a 16 in. Gibson archtop acoustic, I've been looking too, and almost resigned myself to having someone build one. I am getting closer to doing that, just to be rid of the chasing.

Good luck !

The 1952 L-4 I am looking at is a non cutaway, sunburst model but that is OK as I would rather have no cutaway on the acoustic L-4 as I think it would give it more top to work with and so more sound. And does it ever have a good voice. It is in such good condition with orig. case, hang tag, truss rod wrench, 4 Nick Lucas picks, a bunch of old Gibson and Pyramid strings and the de Armond 1000 that I thought it was too good to be true so I brought the guitar down to Willies and showed it to Nate. He said it is all good and all orig. except for replaced turners. I guess I stumbled onto a keeper for sure. The only problem is that the de Armond won't slide all the way up to the fingerboard without hitting the strings as the board is not elevated. I will have to learn to post photos here so you can all see it. Belive it or not I found it at a Guitar Center in MN.

Thanks John

Dennis, by the way I do really like my L-4CES which I bought new in 2009, it is easily one of my best guitars. I like the 16" size, nice and comfortable to play. The neck on the 1952 L-4 feels the same width as my 2009 L-4CES but it is a bit thinner front to back. It feels and plays perfect with orig. frets and little fretwear.

Thanks John

Dennis, by the way I do really like my L-4CES which I bought new in 2009, it is easily one of my best guitars. I like the 16" size, nice and comfortable to play. The neck on the 1952 L-4 feels the same width as my 2009 L-4CES but it is a bit thinner front to back. It feels and plays perfect with orig. frets and little fretwear.

Thanks John

And I see from your other post you took it to Willie's and showed it to Nate. Attaboy again ! I see Nate at shows in Illinois and he's always nice to talk to. And that's a really good store, with knowledgeable and helpful people.

I agree a lot about 16 in. archtops. I just feel comfortable with that size. FYI- my next step ( aka ' fix' ) after my L-4 was and is a '37 L-7 with those picture-frame inlays. If you can get by the size, which I did, you'll love the look and love the sound. And the best part is that now the market for them isn't crazy money, and there are some to buy !!

Good Luck !!!

I kind of like the fingerboard on the face of the guitar, it feels like a thinner, smaller guitar than my L-4CES, I am really enjoying this guitar.

I have been looking at the L-7 guitars. I played a couple at Sylvian Music when I was out west and really enjoyed them.

I have to make a cable to try out the de Armond 1000 but tonight it's a bottle of good red wine and a pair of L-4 guitars.

Thanks John

By the way Nate is a great guy as are all the guys at Willies. They let me play guitars I could never afford. A true life experance to rember for ever. Thanks Guys

I've never met Nate but every guitar store owner here in Des Moines knows the guy and I've heard nothing but good things about him and his knowledge about vintage stuff. I would take his word on everything he told you.

I'm very very happy for your new acquisition! Can't wait to see photos!!!!! I must state that I feel sorry for whoever sold it or traded it in at GC as they don't have a great reputation for what they'll pay or allow for a trade in (at least here in Iowa) maybe they do better up your way. In any event thankfully whoever sold it or traded it in allowed you to find it there and grab it and for that I'm thrilled for you! You will love that girl forever. Pictures PLEASE!!!!! [drool]

Rev. Dave, my L-4 is a non cutaway and is sunburst. I tried to upload a photo several times and it wouldn't work for me. My 1952 L-4 is truly a case queen and looks to have been played very little. It is in it's orig. Gieb case which in perfect condition, not even a scratch or ding. The guitar has no dings, chips or dents, not even in the binding anywhere just a little fret wear.

Nate is a very nice guy and I am lucky to live so close to Willies Guitar and able to play so many nice guitars. I was looking at Telecasters and playing different ones when they brought me over a real 1954 Tele to play, wow.

I bought my L-4CES at Professional Music in Des Moines and we get down to Iowa a lot as I have many friends down there. We have spent the second week of June in Fairfield Iowa for a Dodge Truck rally for the last 26 years. I hope anyone in the area this summer can come by and say hello to a great group of people from all over the country.

Thanks John

Rev. Dave, my L-4 is a non cutaway and is sunburst. I tried to upload a photo several times and it wouldn't work for me. My 1952 L-4 is truly a case queen and looks to have been played very little. It is in it's orig. Gieb case which in perfect condition, not even a scratch or ding. The guitar has no dings, chips or dents, not even in the binding anywhere just a little fret wear.

Nate is a very nice guy and I am lucky to live so close to Willies Guitar and able to play so many nice guitars. I was looking at Telecasters and playing different ones when they brought me over a real 1954 Tele to play, wow.

I bought my L-4CES at Professional Music in Des Moines and we get down to Iowa a lot as I have many friends down there. We have spent the second week of June in Fairfield Iowa for a Dodge Truck rally for the last 26 years. I hope anyone in the area this summer can come by and say hello to a great group of people from all over the country.

Thanks John

Back at ya John! I have bought a lot of guitars & gear from Trent at Pro Music Center here. Know him quite well and of course he knows me (probably knows my debit card number by heart too) [crying][biggrin] Next time you know you're heading to Des Moines holler at me - I'll hook up with you there. We can play a bunch of Gibsons then tell Trent they're "used" now and we want a discount... lol [biggrin]

Shot you my email - send me some pics of your new vintage acquisition! [drool]

Okay everyone - John emailed me some photos of his guitars - (also a 2009 L4-CES but is not included here since this thread is about his 1952 Gibson L4) and I promised him I would add a page to my band's website to show everyone the beauty he was referring to and so here is the link to the pictures of John's vintage baby: [drool]

http://www.rivercityrockets.com/Johns1952GibsonL4.html

For some reason John did not email me his address and when he is gone at work... [cursing][biggrin]

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L GUITAR John!!!! Great score!

Dave, thanks for posting the photos. I will get a new computer someday if I can stop buying guitars. By the way I work from home so I am never far from my L-4's. I guess that is the reason I find it hard to things done sometimes.

Thanks John

PS: I made a cord for the de Armond 1000 and it works and sounds great. It is very clear and articulate with very little noise for a single coil. I guess I won't get much done this weekend either.

Archived