Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone 1966 G400 Pro or SRSG Study ?

yelf

Hi,

I'm looking forward buying a white SG guitar for about 300€.

(that's about $400 or £250)

After a few research, I'm hesitating between the SRSG Study and the Epiphone 1966 G400 Pro.

Which one would you recommend me and why ?

It would be my first good guitar.

SRSG Study :

http://www.sr-guitars.com/srsg-study/214-srsg-study-articwhite.html

Epiphone 1966 G400 Pro :

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/SG/1966-G-400-PRO.aspx

By advance, thank you for any reply.

Yelf,

I would not recommend either one over the other.

They are two completely different guitars. (aside from body shape)

The Epiphone 1966 G400 Pro has two humbuckers, bridge and tailpiece, 3 way toggle and 2 vol and 2 tones.

The SRSG Study has a wrap around tailpiece w/saddle adjustment, and one P-90. It is a SG Jr.

The SRSG Study would likely give a more "raw" sound which many like. You will also get the 60Hz hum.

The G400 will give you a larger range of sounds but it will not have the more rounded and yet raw sound of a P-90.

I guess I'm not being much help but, I'm one of those that believes "a good guitar is where you find it".

What is right for me would likely be wrong for you.

Keep us up to date,

Willy

Yea I have no experience with the SR but I do own the G-400. I will agree with Willy above me in that there is a large difference between a single pup p90 and a dual humbucker guitar. The P90 was not for me when I picked up my G-400 but a lot of people love the sound. You just have to try them out and see what you like.

Also used G-400s are going for under $250 around here so you may be able to find a deal on a used one.

Although it's not quite the same guitar, back in the late 70's I owned a mid 60's Epiphone Coronet, with the dog ear P90, which isn't a million miles from the guitar you're considering. I'd always wanted one as it was similar to Steve Marriot's Dwight. It did loud and aggresive very well. It would do loud and aggresive until the cows came home. It did it better than any guitar I'd owned before or since. Unfortunately, loud and aggresive was all it would do, and I soon tired of the sound and the inflexibility. I never again considered a single pickup guitar. Even as a lifelong Telecaster fanatic the idea of an Esquire has never tempted me. I might one day go for a Les Paul special (one with two P90's not the Les Paul special II that's currently available) but one bridge P90, No. Of course, if loud and aggresive is your thing, go for it. That's a personal preference.

Yelf,

Congrats on your decision!

Now, I'll give my point of view.

Being solid body, you should have no problem getting an aggressive drive if that is one of the sounds you would want.

The big plus will be the variety of sounds you will now have available. If you want to play bluesy sounds or jazzy tones,

hard driving or laid back, they should be there.

The Alnico Pro pickups are said to be of good quality sound. Having the 4 wires and setup for push/pull coil splitting, you will

have many additional sounds available. Got to love the Epiphone Pro series guitars on the market these days.

Post pics when you get it!

Willy

• 2 weeks later...

Archived