Gibson Brands Forums

Intro - with pics

mbprod

Hi everyone,

New to the forum. Pulled the trigger on a used sheri ($299) at GC about 340 after tax and shipping. Its MIK out of the Saien plant. They said it was in good condition over the phone, no dings etc. When it arrived I noticed these two cracks what appears to be only in the finish. Will these spread? I still have some time to return it but will be out $ shipping. Also, I think it def needs to be setup as begins to sound off when I play chords up the neck. I hope this solves the problem but I've read replacing the plastic nut could also help with this.

Thoughts on it being a keeper for what I paid?

future plans if its keeper

• replace nut
  • maybe install Grover rotogrip locking tuners
  • replace pups (57, 57+ or SD Antiquitys)
  • replace all wiring pots and switch

Thanks

post-63091-065085100 1391173923_thumb.jpg

post-63091-087826400 1391174042_thumb.jpg

MB- WELCOME, Lot of info here. I'm in the same boat as you working on my new Sherri. I've adjusted the truss rod slightly for proper neck relief and set the bridge height. I also am thinking about replacing the nut but want to play it with the best action for awhile.

Try the SEARCH here about your questions if you want. Really not sure about your finish cracks sinse there seem to be a thick poly coat on these. Good luck

Did it come with a case? $340 for a Sheraton is a pretty good deal. As far as the stress crack on the heel of the neck is concerned, I've seen this on many Epiphones and generally there aren't any problems. It's very common and if you like everything else about the guitar I'd say keep it. I've had Rivoli basses (335 style, similar to a Sheraton) with stress cracks on the heel of the neck where it meets the body and I have never had any problems. The bass of course also has a lot more tension on the neck due to the thicker strings than a Sheraton. Come to think of it, I had a natural Sheraton with a very similar crack and again no problems. On the other hand, Guitar Center is usually pretty good about returns. If you tell them the guitar came with a crack and it wasn't how it was described over the phone, they will usually reimburse the shipping. If you have a Guitar Center close by you can return in there as well.

Good luck and HNGD!

DSC03548_zps64dd64b0.jpg

Rivoli

Picture071.jpg

Sheraton

Thanks @macoshark and @mydeadblues for your feedback - was GASing for a hollow body and took a gamble at the GC used store online. Been eyeing Sheri's for awhile now and like the feel of the sheri's maple neck vs the dot. I wish I could afford a real deal but figured it's all about how the guitar feels and the sounds you make once you play it. I've played on some Sheri's that suck and some that are sweet. This one's in the middle of the road with potential but not sure if I should throw her back and wait for a better catch.

looks like it was thrown into a mailtruck.....hard....

i'd worry more about the strap-button beginning to "push in" than the neck-flex crack...

or maybe not...

ditch it, there are better Sheris out there for that $......and make GC eat the shipping for sending a damaged guitar they'd advertized as blem-free.....

if they balk, e-mail "corporate" on the "contact us" page...they'll straighten it out.

Welcome mbprod. Yes, if they said no dings, these cracks should have been mentioned. If you accept them now they will always bother you, and you'll wonder if you could have got a better one. Return & replace. Re. your mod ideas, yes, good thoughts, I have a guitar in the house at the moment with SD 57's which I like a lot. It's generally a good idea to replace the electrics as well. The plastic nut on my Sheri has always bugged me, been sticky on the G so when I get around to it it will have a bone nut. Not sure if the locking tuners would be really necessary, the stock ones on mine worked fine.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks everyone @vomer @bender4life @deeman. I threw her back. Played on a MIC one they had in-store clearance when I went for the return. Was a little better, but not $120+ better. Neck felt more rounded / appeared to be the 3-piece Chinese neck. The search continues...

if you really like Sheris....save up & score one of the 50th Ann. '62 models with the Gibson Mini Humbuckers and Frequensator tailpiece.....they're a bit expensive, but probably the best Sheraton that's come out in quite a while.

i'll never sell/trade/loan out mine...it's truly one of the best guitars I own, and certainly doesn't SEEM like an Asian guitar at all.

62502_zps763f53cb.jpg

6250_zpsb557de8b.jpg

update: picked up a used mic cherry dot for $199 (250 after tax ship + 1yr gc pro coverage) Already had dunc SH4 Jazz, LP pickguard, top hats replaced with chrome tops, and wires replaced. A sincere thank you to whoever decided to sell this with mods performed. Threw some graphite in the grooves to help with slipping. Finish is in great condition, 0 cracks.

Dont know if I like that cover ring around the switch... but think this one's a keeper.

post-63091-043125600 1391864761_thumb.jpg

if you really like Sheris....save up & score one of the 50th Ann. '62 models with the Gibson Mini Humbuckers and Frequensator tailpiece.....they're a bit expensive, but probably the best Sheraton that's come out in quite a while.

i'll never sell/trade/loan out mine...it's truly one of the best guitars I own, and certainly doesn't SEEM like an Asian guitar at all.

Yes, they're really nice, but can you find them anymore?

update: picked up a used mic cherry dot for $199 (250 after tax ship + 1yr gc pro coverage) Already had dunc SH4 Jazz, LP pickguard, top hats replaced with chrome tops, and wires replaced. A sincere thank you to whoever decided to sell this with mods performed. Threw some graphite in the grooves to help with slipping. Finish is in great condition, 0 cracks.

Dont know if I like that cover ring around the switch... but think this one's a keeper.

Nice one, that's a heck of a score with the SD & all.

Archived