Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird V 2010 vs 2014 (or used, which year?)

jc1funk

The 'Bird is calling.

Just played a V 2010 (2012 build) at the store and wondering if I should wait to check out the 2014...

Anyone had a chance to A/B the 2010 vs the new 2014 spec?

Or, I'm stalking a near-mint 1990 'bird online (but he wants more than I can get a new one for)... wondering why... is this a particularly good era? and how would it compare to the newer ones?

Thanks for your input...

JC

Personal opinion... <_<

I've had a Firebird V for some years now(from about'08 I think)

And again IMO when the banjo tuners were discontinued, so was a lot of the character lost of this great and original instrument...

There have been some very expensive vintage reissues in recent years

Always try before you buy...not always easy in this interweb discount age

I also modded a Tokai Firebird copy which has proved to be very successful... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Always try before you buy...not always easy in this interweb discount age

I've never bought a guitar I haven't played and bonded with... lucky enough to have a pretty good supply here in melbourne, but the birds are a little harder to come by, especially in the burst, which is what I want...

I'm a bit of a traditionalist so the older models with the alnico pickups interest me.. your '08 would have them wouldn't it?... have you compared them to the ceramics they brought out in the '10 model?

The side mount jack on the '14 is a bit of a shame too...

I'm not 100% au fait with the various 'magnetic' options available P/U-wise... [biggrin]

And, unbelievably mine was purchased unseen over the interweb (my first such purchase), but I knew and trusted the supplier and it went without hitch

A perfect 'burst Firebird was delivered set up and in tune... [thumbup]

My Tokai has a Seymour Duncan mini-hum P/U specifically made for the Firebird...and with coil-tap actually does more than a true original Firebird P/U...

So there are options out there to satisfy many requirements

Another option is the Epi Firebird for not much money...then perhaps drop 2 better P/U's in and enjoy...

V

:-({|=

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a fan and plan to add a Firebird to my small collection one of these days. I've played several at local shops over the last year or so. I did play a 2014 the other day and didn't notice any differences in the neck profile. Felt 60's slim taper to me. Played and sounded great.

The differences in the 2014 I did notice was the 120 Year Anniversary marker at the 12th fret, and the change to the BS "Fly over the frets" nibless/nubless neck binding. In my non-humble opinion, this great guitar, like so many other upper end Gibsons, has been cheapened of an element that was a part of the great "Mojo" of a Gibson.

So, for me, I'd find a leftover 2013 "2010" model as they were perfect.

Best of luck in your search.

I'm a fan and plan to add a Firebird to my small collection one of these days. I've played several at local shops over the last year or so. I did play a 2014 the other day and didn't notice any differences in the neck profile. Felt 60's slim taper to me. Played and sounded great.

The differences in the 2014 I did notice was the 120 Year Anniversary marker at the 12th fret, and the change to the BS "Fly over the frets" nibless/nubless neck binding. In my non-humble opinion, this great guitar, like so many other upper end Gibsons, has been cheapened of an element that was a part of the great "Mojo" of a Gibson.

So, for me, I'd find a leftover 2013 "2010" model as they were perfect.

Best of luck in your search.

I got a 2013 model in December for xmas and I just love it. The only issue I am still sifting out is the tuners seem to slip out of tune,but it must be something I did because it seemed ok before I changed the strings. I still can't see anything I did wrong though,so not figured out yet. But once I get that figured out,that thing is awesome.

Got the 2014 model, everything is perfect on this guitar. Sounds, plays and feels amazing. I havent tried a 2010 model, the only major differences you would notice are the fret over binding, (personally like it) the 12th fret badge, lower frets (still unsure if they feel better) and the serial number. But again I havent played a 2010, I compared it to other Gibsons I tried. I would recommend the 2014.

Or, I'm stalking a near-mint 1990 'bird online (but he wants more than I can get a new one for)... wondering why... is this a particularly good era? and how would it compare to the newer ones?

Thanks for your input...

JC

I have a 1990, and have heard that this is a good year for them. I love mine. It has a really nice wide-fat neck, very comfortable. It sounded great, but I put in a set of Lollar Firebird mini-humbuckers and it sounds even better.

Firebird2_zpscb93c17a.jpg

Archived