Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone yb Gibson

Cougar

Interesting. If it's a fake, someone went to a lot of trouble. Weird serial number, too. Might just be an anomaly.

I found this thread, says probably Samick made and from 1987, by the serial code.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/49639-epiphone-by-gibson-headstock-sheraton-owners-club/

If you go through the thread, and look at headstock pictures, you'll see quite a variety of logo placements. The ® register is all over, in relation to the n in Gibson. The "Epiphone"s and "Gibson"s aren't parallel and how they relate to the tree of life varies, too. Funny that the '87 posted on page 3 (deflepfan) comes pretty close, other than the "by", to the headstock in question. As I said before, I'm leaning toward legitimate, just an anomaly.

That is very strange. Since all Korean Epiphones were being made at Samick in 1987, the serial should read S7xxxxxx. SK can only mean "Samick Korea" in this case, if that is indeed the actual serial number. The serials were on stickers on the back of the neck in those days, and I didnt see one on this guitar...unless he has some paperwork for it.

Archived