Gibson Brands Forums

these dont come around often...

tweed2

I ran across this on eBay, this morning. They come around every couple of months. Just a heads up if anyone has been thinking about one. I absolutely love mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-Zephyr-Blues-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar-/221379969776?pt=Guitar&hash=item338b4642f0

I've always liked these. I need another guitar like I need a hole in my head . . . [tongue]

I've always liked these. I need another guitar like I need a hole in my head . . . [tongue]

But think about it, how many holes you got in your head? [biggrin]

I know what you mean. I have a self-imposed limit of 7. The only way I can go is to improve on what I have. Get one, sell one.

I've been watching these for two years now, and the prices are steadily going up. 18 months ago (when I finally found one), the average was $650-675. Harder and harder to find. Glad I got mine when I did.

I have a self-imposed limit of 7. The only way I can go is to improve on what I have. Get one, sell one.

My first self-imposed limit was ten.

Then it was 12, 15, 17, 19, 21,

and now it is 23 (plus one mandolin).

A lack of will power can be a good thing!

Tweed... due to jobs held by my wife and me... guitars are in three different locations. <grin>

Otherwise... yeah, you pretty well nailed it.

As to the big body archtop... Don't particularly care for 'em 'cuz they don't "fit." Others will feel very different. That's why they make different guitars.

m

great price too !!

did y'all happen to see the '49 Zephyr Deluxe in the "also viewed" bar beneath it??

probably a good thing I don't have a loose $5k to toss........

but, what's w/the fullsized humbuckers, in a '49?? nope!

Those aren't full-sized humbuckers...they're single coil Epiphone "Tone Spectrum" pickups that were used on the Zephyr and Zephyr Deluxe(Zephyr "Blues" Deluxe was not an Epiphone model until the Asian ones in the 90s) starting in 1949 but replaced by the "New York" single coils in 1950..

Those aren't full-sized humbuckers...they're single coil Epiphone "Tone Spectrum" pickups that were used on the Zephyr and Zephyr Deluxe(Zephyr "Blues" Deluxe was not an Epiphone model until the Asian ones in the 90s) starting in 1949 but replaced by the "New York" single coils in 1950..

Yes. The pac-rim Epiphone Zephyr Blues Deluxe that is the subject of this post is more closely related to the pre-switchmaster Gibson ES-5 (1949-1955) than any similar vintage model made by the (then) pre-Gibson-owned Epiphone company. The Tree of Life inlay and frequensator tailpiece are the only Epiphone feature. Everything else is Gibson inspired.

Nice guitar. Considering a Gibson reissue of the Switchmaster version is four or fives times as much today, a good value, too.

This link has a nice little article on a 1949 ES-5:

ES-5 Link

This one to a good ES-5 Switchmaster history:

ES-5 Switchmaster Link

Red 333

Yes. The pac-rim Epiphone Zephyr Blues Deluxe that is the subject of this post is more closely related to the pre-switchmaster Gibson ES-5 (1949-1955) than any similar vintage model made by the (then) pre-Gibson-owned Epiphone company. The Tree of Life inlay and frequensator tailpiece are the only Epiphone feature. Everything else is Gibson inspired.

Nice guitar. Considering a Gibson reissue of the Switchmaster version is four or fives times as much today, a good value, too.

This link has a nice little article on a 1949 ES-5:

ES-5 Link

This one to a good ES-5 Switchmaster history:

ES-5 Switchmaster Link

Red 333

I've always seen the Zephyr Blues Deluxe as a copy of the ES-5 (which is one of my dream guitars and until the vintage market dump of 2008 and the recovery was still available quite reasonably...well ~ $ 8K if that's considered "reasonable" lol ) but (in the NY/Philly era) the term "Deluxe" in Epiphone model nomenclature suggests a two pickup model...the closest thing to an ES-5 Epiphone had was the Zephyr (electric) Emperor (three pick ups) Regent (cut away) but with an over two inch difference in the width of the lower bout the two models (ES-5 and Zephyr Emperor Regent) are vastly different. The Asian Epiphone version was as you've said, more a copy of a Gibson model. Gibson did continue to make the Emperor Electric into the early 60s ('62?)albeit with mini humbuckers and until domestic Epiphone production ceased (1970) as a special order. ....I also keep having this brain fart where my head keeps thinking early 90s "Emperor" with the floating pickup but I'm well-aware of the distinction between the various models I've been talking of. I don't know enough about or have enough experience with the Zephyr Blues Deluxe to say if $850 for one is a good, bad or indifferent price.

I don't know enough about or have enough experience with the Zephyr Blues Deluxe to say if $850 for one is a good, bad or indifferent price.

It's one of the rare pac-rim Epiphones that seem to be commanding a higher price used than they sold for originally.

Red 333

Archived