Gibson Brands Forums

Just acquired a Sheridan II

wrvond

Hello all,

I'm obviously new to the board, and also new to semi-hollow bodies in general.

I know nothing about the Sheraton II I have, other than the previous owner said he had it about 10 years. I assumed he bought it new, but that no longer seems likely.

The serial number on the headstock was gouged out and the word "used" was stamped just below that.

I have no idea why anyone would treat a guitar so badly.

The first thing I did was take it apart, clean, and waxed it.

I did learn the pups are not OEM, but I'm not able to find out much about them. I'm hoping somebody is familiar with this particular model pup and can tell me something about them. With a single wire, I'm guessing they aren't humbuckers, but I can't be too sure.

Naturally I have other questions about my new guitar, but will save them for other posts.

Thanks!

IMAG0006_zps956287b3.jpg

IMAG0004_zps442f0915.jpg

IMG_1044_zpsf8a4bb45.jpg

IMAG0008_zps897e98f5.jpg

wrvond,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the guitar.

As to the Sheraton guitars, they are cosmetically upscale semi-hollows. Think of an L.P. Custom as opposed to a Standard.

They are also an excellent playing guitar IMO.

Plenty of info here:

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Sheraton

Not the original pickups. Possibly a considerable improvement, depending on what type they actually are...

and how they sound to you.

I don't know anything about their model numbers. Hope others are more help. Anyway:

http://kentarmstrong.com/pages/about.html

http://www.wdmusic.com/kent_armstrong_humbuckers.html

Hope it turns out you like it.

Willy

I believe that your guitar was likely returned to the dealer for some reason or other, and was marked "used", to void the warranty. I suspect your seller then bought the guitar from that seller, or from some other owner. The reason for the return could be anything, and it could be nothing serious at all. I would not worry about that too much.

Your picture appears to be a humbucker from Kent Armstrong, and I suspect it is his version of the PAF pickup, which had only one wire, encased in a metal braid cover.

Good Luck with your new guitar.

Welcome to the forum!

Pete

Welcome. I think that Epiphone semi-hollows are great guitars for the money. I own several. As for Kent Armstrong pickups, I've purchased 8 in the last two years and have nothing but good things to say about them. Great bang for the buck. But what should matter to you is, are you happy with the sound they give? Mess around with pickup height and pole adjustments before doing anything drastic. Even magnet changes can do a lot for a little work and cash outlay. Enjoy.

Thanks for the welcome and the information!

I Googled Kent Armstrong as soon as I saw the backs of the pups, and found out all about his personal history, but couldn't find any information at all concerning that particular model number. I figured it was probably a long ago superseded model, but hoped somebody might have personal experience with them and could appraise them. That whole "designed by" label slipped right past me. I should have realized it wasn't nearly the same as "built by" or "manufactured by". The lack of patent numbers should have been a big 'ol tip off too!

In any event they don't sound bad at this point. I'm sure I need to replace the jack, and I'm thinking pots and switch change out while I'm at it. Working through that tiny 'f' hole looks to be a daunting task, though. Definitely not a Strat!

Archived