Gibson Brands Forums

Is my 1995 LEFT HANDED GIBSON GOSPEL A/E fake?

amarrocolla

Come to think, with an improperly packed guitar, with strings at full tension, a whack on that end of the case from the right direction could cause the head to collapse like that, without even damaging the case. This is the reason the strings should be detuned for shipping.

Say, you're not going to let the idiot who called it a "fake" work on it, are you?

yup that's a real lefty Gospel you have there. I am shocked at Ash's tech telling you it was fake. The best exposure the Gospel ever had was the character Phoebe playing a satin cherry one for several years in the TV show Friends. They are great, underrated guitars.

I received this reply via email from Gibson.

Hello Anthony,

Thanks for contacting Gibson. The serial number 91015013 is consistent with the number on a special order left handed Gospel built back in 1995 at Gibson Montana. We have Gibson Repair and Restoration which does repairs and they can be reached at 615-244-0252 extension 5102 or 5109. Thanks

Best regards,

Gibson Customer Service

1-800-4GIBSON

service@gibson.com

Dang' date=' when you said headstock "crack" I imagined some kind of vertical hairline split, but that headstock essentially broke off! The case would have had to have been crushed for that to have happened in shipping. I hope you gave the seller the lowest possible slam on Ebay feedback (if it was from Ebay.)[/quote']

Falling forward or backward to the floor will make a scarf joint separate like this, especially if'n it's strung up to pitch. Some call it 'whiplash'.

Even un strung, it is recommended that the headstock be packed tightly within the case for shipment. The weight of the tuners could be enough to snap the head off when the USPS/UPS/FEDEX gorillas go wild.

This is what the moron taped to the guitar case. Its almost a joke. I was very upset when the guitar came broke but I had to just relax. There are much worser problems in the world than a broken guitar headstock.

sspx0092dc2.th.jpg

sspx0093di0.th.jpg

What'd he charge you for shipping and handling?

I too had a bad experience using EvilBay and have sworn to avoid it like the plague !!

I picked up a Washburn 125 Anniversary Edition Parlour and I am guessing the seller (which I later found out was part music store part pawn shop) must have left it sitting in the front window during the ice age cause after I got it I found the top was concave in the center and after a couple weeks a brace inside came loose.

Washburn was OK and I shipped it to them as an RMA and they did fix the brace and the top looks a little bit better, but in thier response I was basically told that I needed to take care of the instrument and provide it the correct humidity etc..... like It was my fault the seller basically ruined the guitar. It is still not really right and I see more movement of the wood and am expecting to have to have it repaired again at my expense at some point.

The whole experience made something that was supposed to be fun and make me happy and turned it into a nightmare.!!

My new rule is ....NO PLAY--NO PAY or ..........NO TRY-- NO BUY.

I would consider buying online through a very reputable dealer like Elderly or Maury ....but my NO TRY-- NO BUY rule has also saved me some money on those -- drunken -- late night -- browsing the web -- GAS attacks.

Sorry about your experience. This ebay experience for me has been pretty horrible. Not only did I get a broken guitar that has to be fixed at MY expense, but the seller is nowhere to be found and the post office wants the original insurance receipt. Now how can i provide them the original insurance receipt if i did not ship the guitar? They are ridiculous. I agree with your buying method and I have learned my lesson this time. As my wife has told me, its better to spend more money and see the guitar in person that deal with the risk of receiving it broken. On top of that, the partial reason I bought the guitar from this guy was because he said he had no money for christmas presents. I wanted the guitar, but if I could help him out then I felt like I was doing a nice thing for him, yet when I asked him about it being broken and why he shipped it with 2 thin pieces of cardboard he told me to **** off and it was my problem.

The nerve of some people.

I just hope the repair is clean and the guitar stays in tune. I did not buy it to sell, but I'd still like it to be in good condition.

On top of that' date=' the partial reason I bought the guitar from this guy was because he said he had no money for christmas presents. I wanted the guitar, but if I could help him out then I felt like I was doing a nice thing for him [/quote']

It is a bit cynical ...but the expression seems to come true far to often - "No Good deed goes unpunished"

I hope your repair goes well and you end up with a great guitar that in a few years you can play and laugh about it all.

Your Wife is like my Wife ....way smarter than me and I agree it is very much worth a little extra cash to avoid heartache and the chance that the "great deal" ends up costing more in the long run.

Good luck!

Hey guys repair update. I took it into the shop, the tech was actually very nice but said that it will take at least 4 weeks until I get the guitar back. He has to refinish the back after he fixes the crack and needs 2 weeks after that to refinish it again. He said he wants to try to get it as perfect as he can. Luckily I will be out in the UK now until January 20th, so the time is not a problem. Price he gave me was $150, which is fair considering the horrible crack.

I'm considering adding a tusq nut and saddle. What do you guy think? or is bone better?

I briefly owned a '94 Gospel and it had that logo as well. Nid99 should chime in because he's got at least one and I think he had another in the past... or not...

still have it. Same logo and everything else--just a different color. Great guitar.

The guy I bought the guitar from sent me this nasty letter along with the original insurance slip of the guitar. I don't understand why people are so rude? I wish I had that much time on my hands.

I travel a lot to the UK from New York, can any of you guys recommend a good hard airline type acoustic case?

Archived