Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a geniune or fake j-45 model?

guitarsg

It is in Japan...

I thought it might be, since it has features I have not seen on a US model, including a block logo with banner, 1960's style rosette, dark centerline strip on the back, white endpiece, unusual case lining color, etc.

Basically, you need to know the value for a standard J-45 of the same vintage in your market, and cut that price by at least 30% and more typically 50% because of the headstock break.

Because we don't see that combination of features on US models, I would want the guitar inspected by a reputable dealer to make sure it is genuine.

I am far from an expert, but that guitar shares a great deal in common with my '96 Southern Jumbo. I can't make out the serial number on your guitar, but they look like they may have been made around the same time.

My peg head, logo banner and truss rod cover are basically identical to the ones in your picture, as is the body binding, sound hole binding and pick guard. The woods even look like the could be related. The necks are identical, the orange labels are a match. Top finish is very similar.

Mine has no binding strip down the middle of the back nor on the end piece. My bridge is different. My back bracing is narrower.

Here is mine: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/105361-anyone-with-knowledge-or-specs-of-1996-southern-jumbo/page__p__1424493#entry1424493

It is a real "Gibson". I have an identical one I bought brand new in 1996. The only difference, other than the condition, are the back braces. My J 45 has the tall, thin back braces, this one has the shorter stubby back braces. Mine also has the white end piece and the SJ sound hole inlay. Typical Gibson "one size fits all".

Archived