Gibson Brands Forums

Explorer Shred-X

bubblehead

I recently purchased an Explorer Shred-X which is a pretty nice guitar except for one problem. It has a Kahler 2215K tremelo on it which goes out of tune every 3 minutes. This guitar has a MSRP of $3,400, but the lack of tuning stability makes it useful fireplace kindling. I am looking for any advice on how to make this guitar work.

I can't even guess what the point of the fine tuners on the bridge are if there is no locking nut. As the other guys suggested, you could install one of those but the guitar already comes with locking tuners so you could try some lubricant on the nut to see if that helps any before taking out a drill. I'd try the lubricant first; it becomes a maintenance issue, but it's not too much of a hassle.

I tried to find some info on that bridge about whether it requires routing the body for installation but didn't see anything about it. If there was no routing involved and the bridge was designed to replace a stop tailpiece and bridge, perhaps you can simply replace if it you're not into trems to begin with.

I still can't figure out why I bought a guitar for 2,300 dollars that doesn't work. I agree with all of the comments about why they would make a guitar with a floating tremolo and fine tuners and no locks on the neck. I called the company and they told me to bring it to a certified tech.

• 1 year later...

I bought the same guitar months ago and had the same issue with it going out of tune. I spoke to Gibson and they were willing to look at it and help me out but I came across Sta-Tuned Sting-Locks and it was really inexpensive it doesn't require an alteration to the instrument so after contacting Sta-Tuned I explained the issue and they said it should work. Well it took a couple of minutes to put it on the first time and since then the guitar has stayed in tune. I use the Kahler tremolo all the time and I tested it pretty heavily and it stayed in tune. It's an amazing invention that I never heard of before until I saw it in a magazine. [cool]

Archived